The Student Room Group

Space engineering MSc or design MDes?

Which one is best/ has a better prospect of work? MDes sounds more fun but space one is interesting too should I switch course from space?

Scroll to see replies

These are completely different courses. You need to do a lot more research and understand they lead to totally unrelated areas, and are completely different in every way. I can't really see how you can have a sustained professional interest in both areas - I can understand having a professional interest in one and a general interest as far as hobbies and personal leisure go in the other, but the are so far apart otherwise...

Doing an MSc in Space Engineering is very different to having a passing interest in space and astronomy, and doing an MDes in Design is totally different to enjoying doing creative work, drawing, and making art and similar. Equally a career in either will require much more than either of those respective interests/hobbies, realistically, both in general and more specifically in terms of technical ability and background.

I think once you research them both more it will be very evident which is more appropriate for you.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
These are completely different courses. You need to do a lot more research and understand they lead to totally unrelated areas, and are completely different in every way. I can't really see how you can have a sustained professional interest in both areas - I can understand having a professional interest in one and a general interest as far as hobbies and personal leisure go in the other, but the are so far apart otherwise...

Doing an MSc in Space Engineering is very different to having a passing interest in space and astronomy, and doing an MDes in Design is totally different to enjoying doing creative work, drawing, and making art and similar. Equally a career in either will require much more than either of those respective interests/hobbies, realistically, both in general and more specifically in terms of technical ability and background.

I think once you research them both more it will be very evident which is more appropriate for you.

The design one is a user focused course taking engineering and design and creativity and business together (things I love) the space stuff would just make me a better engineer but I can still create but I wouldn’t get a lot of design jobs
Reply 3
Original post by Khonsu
The design one is a user focused course taking engineering and design and creativity and business together (things I love) the space stuff would just make me a better engineer but I can still create but I wouldn’t get a lot of design jobs

Do you want to be a aerospace engineer? Or a product designer?

They really are entirely different, as artful said.

Sounds like product design is your real interest and things that actually interest you are more likely to lead to a succesful career.
Reply 4
Original post by Doonesbury
Do you want to be a aerospace engineer? Or a product designer?

They really are entirely different, as artful said.

Sounds like product design is your real interest and things that actually interest you are more likely to lead to a succesful career.

I already have a BEng in aerospace
Reply 5
Original post by Khonsu
I already have a BEng in aerospace

That doesn't answer my question though.

Which university is this (I can't think of many universities with both MDes and MSc Space...)? Eitherway, talk to your tutor and try to find the path that really gets you interested. You've already done 3 years of aero - why do you want to do another year?
Reply 6
That doesn't answer my question though.

Which university is this (I can't think of many universities with both MDes and MSc Space...)? Eitherway, talk to your tutor and try to find the path that really gets you interested. You've already done 3 years of aero - why do you want to do another year?

Cos i got 0.7% away from a 2.1 and I don’t feel competent enough at the same time I’ve seen aerospace guys design phones etc and many skills are transferable but I want design thinking it’s all done at cranfield
Reply 7
Original post by Khonsu
Cos i got 0.7% away from a 2.1 and I don’t feel competent enough at the same time I’ve seen aerospace guys design phones etc and many skills are transferable but I want design thinking it’s all done at cranfield

I had a feeling it was Cranfield. :yep: Talk to them about it - they are very helpful. And I still think adding an MDes to your BEng Aero is a good route *if* you want to be a product designer.

Tagging @Cranfield University :smile:
Reply 8
I had a feeling it was Cranfield. :yep: Talk to them about it - they are very helpful. And I still think adding an MDes to your BEng Aero is a good route *if* you want to be a product designer.

Thing is to me it’s all engineering it’s just space side is more hard theory and MDes is more fun
Reply 9
Original post by Khonsu
Thing is to me it’s all engineering it’s just space side is more hard theory and MDes is more fun

You don't need more "hard theory" unless you want to be a "hard" engineer... And even then you can happily be an engineer with your BEng.

If you "failed" to get a 2:1 in "hard" engineering would it not be both more enjoyable and more realistic to do the MDes anyway?
Reply 10
You don't need more "hard theory" unless you want to be a "hard" engineer... And even then you can happily be an engineer with your BEng.

If you "failed" to get a 2:1 in "hard" engineering would it not be both more enjoyable and more realistic to do the MDes anyway?

Thing is I failed knowing I done better (got capped lol) and I failed knowing I could do better I didn’t feel fulfilled at the end of my disso 🤷🏽*♂️ You’re right though MDes would be more fun and but again it depends more on the module exams than space one does if I could I’d take them both 😂 but I can’t
Reply 11
I feel like the Design thinker course is like a fake MBA 😭 I dunno I need to know more @Cranfield University please help out
Original post by Khonsu
I feel like the Design thinker course is like a fake MBA 😭 I dunno I need to know more @Cranfield University please help out

Hi @Khonsu,

Thanks for the tag- and for the interest on the two courses at Cranfield University. Firstly, I must say here that both courses are two very different courses. I spent some two day with the MDes students last week as they worked with their MBA counterparts from another University on embedding circular thinking in product design and business models- it is vastly different to MSc Space Engineering.

It boils down, I think, to what @doonesbury asked: What will you want to do at MSc level? What drives your passion? I see you have a BEng in Aerospace. Then we can look at job/ career opportunities in the areas.

If Aerospace is your thing, then I'll certainly recommend that you have a look in a bit more detail about the Aeronautics and Space Engineering MSc (https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/courses/taught/astronautics-and-space-engineering). You have a solid foundation (from your first degree) to excel in that course if you put in the hard work.

If you are keen on things as creative leadership, strategic design management, design thinking and innovation strategy, technology and prototyping and circular innovation- where you have to employ these and especially your creativity in product development, business, then the MDes is highly recommended.

Yes, adding an MDes to your BEng degree is a great route if you want to be a product designer or in cradle-to-cradle product development. It is accredited by the Chartered Society of Designers.

As for job opportunities afterwards- I'll say pretty much what I have said each time. Due to Cranfield's direct collaboration with industry and policymakers (we are a postgraduate-only University), you are more than likely to get your CV looked at. However, the eventual success from that will be dependent on the quality of your CV and your grades, how early you applied, etc:smile:

Your projects and group projects will have support from external organisations.:smile:

I hope this helps.

Best Wishes,
-Oke, PhD Student at @Cranfield.
Cranfield Uni TSR Rep.
Reply 13
Original post by Cranfield University
Hi @Khonsu,

Thanks for the tag- and for the interest on the two courses at Cranfield University. Firstly, I must say here that both courses are two very different courses. I spent some two day with the MDes students last week as they worked with their MBA counterparts from another University on embedding circular thinking in product design and business models- it is vastly different to MSc Space Engineering.

It boils down, I think, to what @doonesbury asked: What will you want to do at MSc level? What drives your passion? I see you have a BEng in Aerospace. Then we can look at job/ career opportunities in the areas.

If Aerospace is your thing, then I'll certainly recommend that you have a look in a bit more detail about the Aeronautics and Space Engineering MSc (https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/courses/taught/astronautics-and-space-engineering). You have a solid foundation (from your first degree) to excel in that course if you put in the hard work.

If you are keen on things as creative leadership, strategic design management, design thinking and innovation strategy, technology and prototyping and circular innovation- where you have to employ these and especially your creativity in product development, business, then the MDes is highly recommended.

Yes, adding an MDes to your BEng degree is a great route if you want to be a product designer or in cradle-to-cradle product development. It is accredited by the Chartered Society of Designers.

As for job opportunities afterwards- I'll say pretty much what I have said each time. Due to Cranfield's direct collaboration with industry and policymakers (we are a postgraduate-only University), you are more than likely to get your CV looked at. However, the eventual success from that will be dependent on the quality of your CV and your grades, how early you applied, etc:smile:

Your projects and group projects will have support from external organisations.:smile:

I hope this helps.

Best Wishes,
Cranfield Uni TSR Rep.

I wanted to know what kinda job routes are there in product design since I love design so much. Yes you’re right they’re very different routes as I can see one focuses on psychology of design and creativity and the other is more core theoretical principles and space craft only. Is there no middle ground where things slightly cross over? Or is design thinking more in line with business and concepts only?
Reply 14
Hi @Khonsu,

I hope this helps.

Best Wishes,
Cranfield Uni TSR Rep.

It's worth noting the OP is already doing the Aero MSc at Cranfield, but is considering changing to MDes. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's worth noting the OP is already doing the Aero MSc at Cranfield, but is considering changing to MDes. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, that’s makes it more interesting. I’ll send a message to the OP and see if he/she can meet me in the office and I’ll book a meeting for him/her with the relevant course tutor.

Thanks!
Original post by Khonsu
I wanted to know what kinda job routes are there in product design since I love design so much. Yes you’re right they’re very different routes as I can see one focuses on psychology of design and creativity and the other is more core theoretical principles and space craft only. Is there no middle ground where things slightly cross over? Or is design thinking more in line with business and concepts only?

Hi,
That was quick. I’ll advise that you go to the Centre for Competitive Design and speak to one of their lecturers. On the “wall” of the C4D you’ll see a list of their past students— and what they’ve been up to. I know two actually that made it to P&G and one that got into a design firm in London.
It’s a bit diverse their career paths.

Best Wishes,
Cranfield TSR Rep
Reply 17
Hi,
That was quick. I’ll advise that you go to the Centre for Competitive Design and speak to one of their lecturers. On the “wall” of the C4D you’ll see a list of their past students— and what they’ve been up to. I know two actually that made it to P&G and one that got into a design firm in London.
It’s a bit diverse their career paths.

Best Wishes,
Cranfield TSR Rep

Yeah I aim to do that in the morning
Original post by Khonsu
Yeah I aim to do that in the morning

Great. I’ll send you a message and try to get a meeting booked for you with someone who can help.

Cheers.

Thanks for the tag. I have met the student and have began following up with his request.

Best Regards,
Cranfield TSR Rep.

Quick Reply

Latest