The Student Room Group

Best way to structure a first class essay question introduction paragraph?

I'm in my first year of law and we've got a discursive essay style question, it's 1000 words in total.

I've read that intro paragraph for these types of essays is the most important and dictate how examiners approach the rest of your essay with regard to marking.

What's the best way to structure an introduction paragraph that would be high 2:1/first class standard? Any tips would be massively appreciated!

Reply 1
Original post by Colvham
I'm in my first year of law and we've got a discursive essay style question, it's 1000 words in total.

I've read that intro paragraph for these types of essays is the most important and dictate how examiners approach the rest of your essay with regard to marking.

What's the best way to structure an introduction paragraph that would be high 2:1/first class standard? Any tips would be massively appreciated!

Start with a very short sentence introducing, in general terms, the topic. Very short!

Then give your opinion on it, again very short. It helps to state the opposite view first (I.e 'some would say X' - 'in reality, however, such position is more damaging than helpful').

And then the structure of the essay, in basic terms.

Since this is just 1000 words, you wouldn't want to spend more than 70-75 words on the intro. The intro is also a bit of a personal touch so no approach is strictly right or wrong - what's important is that it offers some preliminary guidance on your thoughts that are to follow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending