Best way to structure a first class essay question introduction paragraph? Watch

Colvham
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm in my first year of law and we've got a discursive essay style question, it's 1000 words in total.

I've read that intro paragraph for these types of essays is the most important and dictate how examiners approach the rest of your essay with regard to marking.

What's the best way to structure an introduction paragraph that would be high 2:1/first class standard? Any tips would be massively appreciated!

Thanks
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Don't spend much time on the intro.

Leave it to the end of the essay.

Use the intro to highlight to fundamental debate of the issue + do any framing you need to do + what your argument/conclusion will be (e.g. if the essay is about criminal law, what will you be using as its 'aims' or goals?). Don't justify anything else - you won't be able to fit it in with such a strict word count. The justification needs to come in the main body.
_Fergo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Colvham)
I'm in my first year of law and we've got a discursive essay style question, it's 1000 words in total.

I've read that intro paragraph for these types of essays is the most important and dictate how examiners approach the rest of your essay with regard to marking.

What's the best way to structure an introduction paragraph that would be high 2:1/first class standard? Any tips would be massively appreciated!

Thanks
Start with a very short sentence introducing, in general terms, the topic. Very short!

Then give your opinion on it, again very short. It helps to state the opposite view first (I.e 'some would say X' - 'in reality, however, such position is more damaging than helpful').

And then the structure of the essay, in basic terms.

Since this is just 1000 words, you wouldn't want to spend more than 70-75 words on the intro. The intro is also a bit of a personal touch so no approach is strictly right or wrong - what's important is that it offers some preliminary guidance on your thoughts that are to follow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (313)
66.03%
No (161)
33.97%

Watched Threads