The Student Room Group

Stuck on picking a-levels - only arts?

Hey! I've been to my choice sixth form's open day, and applied while I was there.

I've applied for textiles, photography and classical history, but I'm now thinking of switching classical history for either music technology or graphics.

Originally when I applied I was sure that I wanted to do history, but I've gone again for a second look around and looked at graphics and music tech, and I just think that I'd much prefer to be doing 3 arts subjects. I'm pretty sure if I switch from history it'll definitely be to music tech, but is taking 3 arts a bad idea?

I want to go to art school, so I know that I don't really need any academic subjects, but will having an essay subject help me in the long term? If I decide to do an essay subject I'll pick between history or law, I'm just super stuck.

My mum thinks it's a good idea to do all arts, since I'm probably going to get low grades in my GCSE's, and they're more likely to take me on based on my portfolios and previous experience out of school rather than grades alone.

Quick Reply

Latest