brrrigid
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey! First off, to all vet applicants this year, good luck and I have my fingers crossed for you! I know how stressful it is and I don't envy you guys at all.
I hope I can answer a few questions for some of you (if you'd prefer to ask things privately, you can PM me - my inbox is always open)!

*I will not give information about the exact questions that were asked at my interviews*

So last year I applied to Surrey, Nottingham, Liverpool and the RVC. I got an interview and an offer from each. I chose to defer my entry and accepted the AAB offer from Nottingham.

On results day I obtained ABB, missing my offer by one A, but was accepted anyway - so here I am, on a gap year and going to Japan next year for 5/6 months!
If you want to know more about my application information (GCSEs etc) it's on my profile in the 'About Me' section.

Fire away!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by brrrigid)
Hey! First off, to all vet applicants this year, good luck and I have my fingers crossed for you! I know how stressful it is and I don't envy you guys at all.
I hope I can answer a few questions for some of you (if you'd prefer to ask things privately, you can PM me - my inbox is always open)!

*I will not give information about the exact questions that were asked at my interviews*

So last year I applied to Surrey, Nottingham, Liverpool and the RVC. I got an interview and an offer from each. I chose to defer my entry and accepted the AAB offer from Nottingham.

On results day I obtained ABB, missing my offer by one A, but was accepted anyway - so here I am, on a gap year and going to Japan next year for 5/6 months!
If you want to know more about my application information (GCSEs etc) it's on my profile in the 'About Me' section.

Fire away!
Just very exciting for you and a big reward by travelling to such a fascinating place. Will you drop in on any Japanese vets or charities?
Well done.
brrrigid
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Just very exciting for you and a big reward by travelling to such a fascinating place. Will you drop in on any Japanese vets or charities?
Well done.
Thankyou so much!
I'm hoping to do something like that - I've found several animal shelters that are looking for help from volunteers in exchange for free accomodation, so that would be a great way to keep in touch with vetty stuff and also see Japan at the same time.
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
First of all congratulations for the offers! It must've been really difficult to get all of them

Did you find it hard to pick a vet school to firm from the 4 or did you already know which one you were gonna choose from the beginning?
brrrigid
Rep:
?
(Original post by 6573282)
First of all congratulations for the offers! It must've been really difficult to get all of them

Did you find it hard to pick a vet school to firm from the 4 or did you already know which one you were gonna choose from the beginning?
Thankyou! Yeah, it was certainly an experience that I'm happy with only having once.

I found it very difficult. I was expecting one or two offers, so hadn't put much thought into anything other than 'I'll gladly take what I'm given'. Surrey was my first offer, so initially, I thought I'd absolutley be going to Surrey.

After I got my third offer from RVC, I wasn't going to attend the Nottingham interview in order to allow another student to take my place - I'm glad I did go, however, as it ended up being the one I chose.

In the end it was between RVC and Notts; Notts gave me a lower offer and their course was far more suited to me, so that cinched it.
stimtothesky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Congratulations on four offers! That’s amazing :-)

(Not looking for specific interview questions here)

I’ve applied to Nottingham and Liverpool- does Liverpool tell you the MMI stations when you get invited to interview? And what’s Nottingham's group task like?

I’ve been researching the things I’ve mentioned in my personal statement in quite a lot of depth, and a few cases I’ve seen, but is it worth researching the topical ethical questions more? I guess because they can’t expect you to know all the science but they can expect you to know about current ethical issues (badger culling, pet obesity, dangerous dogs, 'vegan dogs/cats', etc), did you get more "topic" questions than science questions in your interviews?

Thanks!
brrrigid
Rep:
?
(Original post by stimtothesky)
Congratulations on four offers! That’s amazing :-)

(Not looking for specific interview questions here)

I’ve applied to Nottingham and Liverpool- does Liverpool tell you the MMI stations when you get invited to interview? And what’s Nottingham's group task like?

I’ve been researching the things I’ve mentioned in my personal statement in quite a lot of depth, and a few cases I’ve seen, but is it worth researching the topical ethical questions more? I guess because they can’t expect you to know all the science but they can expect you to know about current ethical issues (badger culling, pet obesity, dangerous dogs, 'vegan dogs/cats', etc), did you get more "topic" questions than science questions in your interviews?

Thanks!
Thankyou!

Are you asking whether they tell you what is on each station? If that's what you're asking, no, they don't. If they gave you even a brief descriptor of each station, you'd likely be able to prepare (as the tasks they give are not difficult!).
All we were told is that there would be eight stations, we would need to bring photocopies of our references, and have photo ID.

Nottingham's group task isn't difficult. The one at RVC was similar, and they're both looking for the same things. Just remember that they're assessing you to see how well you'll Of course, everyone may have a different opinion on how to succeed at the group task, but here's mine:
- don't say nothing
- don't try to dominate the group (it's a group task)
- try and involve those who are quiet
- and apart from that it's really just common sense

In my experience, the interviews were set up in a way that assessed your ability to think on the spot and measure how you responded to ethical scenarios.
That's not to say you won't get any topical or science questions, and researching them is a good idea just so you feel more confident in talking about veterinary situations. Just remember that they're not expecting you to be a vet already.
emilykatie98
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
WOw you did amazing!! I have a question about the pre-interview questionnaire - when they say 'give details of your work experience' how much detail should I go into? I could write for days ?!
brrrigid
Rep:
?
(Original post by emilykatie98)
WOw you did amazing!! I have a question about the pre-interview questionnaire - when they say 'give details of your work experience' how much detail should I go into? I could write for days ?!
Which university is this for?
help!examstress
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
First of all, well done!!!

Of the ones you applied to, I'm applying to Nottingham and the RVC.

For Nottingham's Phase 4 Questionaire - Motivation, ability, attitude and attribute assessment, what kind of questions did they ask?

For both, what is the general structure of the interviews and are there any areas that I should focus on that they are likely to ask about.

Thanks in advance for any answers, tbh anything is a great help!!
emilykatie98
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by brrrigid)
Which university is this for?
I'm currently doing surrey's questionnaire and nottingham's... by the looks of it surrey only want the name and date, but nottingham is a bit vague asking for details
2019university
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hiya! I haven’t heard anything back from Nottingham or Rvc yet. I have heard back from Edinburgh and I have gotten an interview! When did you find out about Nottingham/rvc? Thanks 🙂
stimtothesky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by 2019university)
Hiya! I haven’t heard anything back from Nottingham or Rvc yet. I have heard back from Edinburgh and I have gotten an interview! When did you find out about Nottingham/rvc? Thanks 🙂
Are you international, EU or rUK? Cause I’m waiting on Edinburgh! Notts interviewed in Feb last year so we won’t hear till the new year probably. I think RVC send invites out in December so shouldn’t be too long for them
animalmagic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I think everyone will hear from Nottingham one way or another in December. If you look at the main 2019 thread (it's sticky so at the top) you'll see that loads of applicants are waiting to hear from RVC. No news is good news
2019university
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Thanks!!
Last edited by 2019university; 11 months ago
2019university
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by stimtothesky)
Are you international, EU or rUK? Cause I’m waiting on Edinburgh! Notts interviewed in Feb last year so we won’t hear till the new year probably. I think RVC send invites out in December so shouldn’t be too long for them
I’m eu -Ireland
Skyward_Bound
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Congratulations on achieving all those offers!

I've got my Liverpool interview coming up and wondered, how did you find it? I know they've released some info on the types of stations to research, so I've been looking into a few topics which might come up at those stations (welfare, ethics and stress, and scientific research for example), but how in depth should I go? Luckily some of my teachers are going to be doing mini interviews with me on recent veterinary medicine topics, so I'll have some preparation, but how recent will the topics they ask about be? Could they ask about something that was released say a couple of days before the interview?

Finally (sorry for all the questions!), were there any topics that came up that you hadn't looked at and, if this does happen, what would you suggest doing?
animalmagic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Skyward_Bound)

I've got my Liverpool interview coming up and wondered, how did you find it? I know they've released some info on the types of stations to research, so I've been looking into a few topics which might come up at those stations (welfare, ethics and stress, and scientific research for example), but how in depth should I go? Luckily some of my teachers are going to be doing mini interviews with me on recent veterinary medicine topics, so I'll have some preparation, but how recent will the topics they ask about be? Could they ask about something that was released say a couple of days before the interview?

Finally (sorry for all the questions!), were there any topics that came up that you hadn't looked at and, if this does happen, what would you suggest doing?
I very much doubt they will pick something that has just become newsworthy, the stations will have been prepared for a little while. MMIs are nearly impossible to prepare for and Liverpool's particularly so as they only last 5 minutes. It sounds as though your preparation is totally appropriate, remember they are looking for potential, they don't expect you to know everything inside out already before you start the course. Good luck!!
Vetadele
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Wow, you guys seem so successful! I'll be applying in 2019 for 2020 as an EU (I'm french ), and I'm stressing out about my grades ! Also, I was wondering if you guys that got interviews could perhaps tell me a little bit about your experience ? I'd be great to have insight on what people generally have ! thanks ^-^
brrrigid
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Sorry about the late reply guys!

Congratulations on the Edinburgh interview!

I got my RVC invite to interview on the 1st of December last year, and sat the interview on the 19th of December. I received my RVC offer on the 21st of December.

I got my Notts interview invite on the 7th of December. My interview was on the 14th of February, and I received my Notts offer on the 15th of February.

(Original post by Skyward_Bound)

Not sure whether you've done it already considering you posted this a week ago, but:

- Liverpool was probably the most scientific based interview I had

- On the plus side, Liverpool's interview was very well set out, and had a huge timer at the end of the hall which allowed you to keep an eye on the time and structure your responses appropriately

- I would say it's better to have several topics you can make a couple of points about, rather than having one or two that you can describe completley in depth (show awareness of several issues rather than just zoning in on one topic)

- I did not have any practice interviews; I know some people who did, and the practice/vs real was completley different, so don't rely too much on the practice interview experience!

- I would say probably not, they're looking for big issues that have been very common this year (which to be honest, are probably more or less the same as last year...) honestly the recent topic knowledge is stuff you'll have heard about in practice during work experience, don't worry!

(Original post by Vetadele)
Wow, you guys seem so successful! I'll be applying in 2019 for 2020 as an EU (I'm french ), and I'm stressing out about my grades ! Also, I was wondering if you guys that got interviews could perhaps tell me a little bit about your experience ? I'd be great to have insight on what people generally have ! thanks ^-^
Bonjour! I'm so glad you're applying to the U.K vet schools (come to Nottingham..)!
I'm planning to either do a big write up of my general thoughts about the interviews and things I'd wished I'd known beforehand (maybe even a YouTube video on it) so I'll send you a link once I do one or the other
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • Swansea University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (46)
18.47%
Labour (103)
41.37%
Liberal Democrats (50)
20.08%
Green Party (15)
6.02%
Brexit Party (7)
2.81%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
1.61%
Plaid Cymru (5)
2.01%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)