The Student Room Group

Has anyone done an Access Course?

So I'm currently studying an Access Course in Social Sciences, with Psychology and Criminology pathway. I'm studying it with Stonebridge College. Next year I hope to study BSc Psychology and Criminology in university.
This means that the course covers both Psychology and Criminology. And there are 21 units altogether. But I'm sort of confusing myself of what it consists of?
Would this Access Course be enough to meet uni entry requirements? Because I keep coming across Access Courses needing to have three subjects if you want to be considered??
I have my GCSE qualifications so that's not a worry but I think I just keep reading too into Access Courses and I'm confusing myself?? I know how it's graded but I'm worried the access course itself isn't enough for university??
Original post by Anonymous
So I'm currently studying an Access Course in Social Sciences, with Psychology and Criminology pathway. I'm studying it with Stonebridge College. Next year I hope to study BSc Psychology and Criminology in university.
This means that the course covers both Psychology and Criminology. And there are 21 units altogether. But I'm sort of confusing myself of what it consists of?
Would this Access Course be enough to meet uni entry requirements? Because I keep coming across Access Courses needing to have three subjects if you want to be considered??
I have my GCSE qualifications so that's not a worry but I think I just keep reading too into Access Courses and I'm confusing myself?? I know how it's graded but I'm worried the access course itself isn't enough for university??

Access courses are too variable in their content and quality to be able to say globally that they are suitable for a particular university course. You should find that you have a good selection of universities to which you can apply to that course with an Access course, but you need to draw up a uni shortlist and actually check with them that (a) they accept Access courses full stop and (b) that your access course, with its specific module structure and the split of Level 2 and Level 3 modules is appropriate and acceptable. This is the safest way to be sure the uni you apply to will actually accept your qualifications.

Access courses can often be enough just on their own for arts and humanities subjects - less so for scientific subjects, where they often provide inadequate preparation. But again, you need to check specifically.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
how are you doing with the course? I want to start access with stonebridge after Christmas.
Reply 3

Hi

I did my access course last year and had friends who went into joint honours, any access course that meets the requirements for your university course is enough I am sure for this combination of degree.

I am on a straight criminology degree but plenty went into forensic psychology with criminology etc so good luck and enjoy your studies

I'm on an Access course this year and I'm only studying two subjects (Humanities and Social Sciences). I've been accepted into multiple universities. If you're concerned you can contact the admissions team at your chosen university to see if they accept the programme you're on, but with your course I doubt they wouldn't accept it.
Reply 5
Hi

So I did a level 3 access in the same pathway you gave chosen to do and you just need to pass this. Nothing extra is needed - each module will equate to pass/distinctions and they will add up to your UCAS points your university will have for their course.

I wouldn’t focus on anything but your studies because you are reading way too much into things.

I passed 15 units (there are 4 modules/assignments in some modules) with 13 distinctions and that was more than enough points for my course and I am in my 50’s!

I went into criminology with offender management and am about to finish level 4 on Monday - so it can be done.

Good luck and stop panicking about it I promise it’s all going to work out. :-)

Quick Reply