The Student Room Group

Feel guilty about spending

So basically I feel super bad about spending and get really nervous when I do.

I am currently at uni, in my first year. I get the full maintenance loan which is enough to cover my food and rent each week.

I have 4k saved up which I use for recreational spending, such as clothes, going out etc. But I always feel very guilty touching my savings, to the point where I get anxious. I’m not sure whether I should spend it or should I save it for my future? Please help :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by 17blackhes

I am currently at uni, in my first year. I get the full maintenance loan which is enough to cover my food and rent each week.

I have 4k saved up which I use for recreational spending, such as clothes, going out etc. But I always feel very guilty touching my savings, to the point where I get anxious. I’m not sure whether I should spend it or should I save it for my future? Please help :frown:

bump

I mean, it's completely up to you.

Personally I'd save it up but it's your own money.
Spend what you need. Save some for the future.
Reply 4

Work out all the income you have, come up with a percentage that you want to save (factoring in all other expenses), then allow a small amount of money that you CAN spend guilt free, say 5-10% of your income, or however much you can afford. Don't worry, you will earn more money in the future, but try to save at least a small amount now.

Personally I try to save about 60-70% of my income (including all expenses), then if I want to spend a small amount I have some leeway.
Reply 5
Original post by Xopher_
Work out all the income you have, come up with a percentage that you want to save (factoring in all other expenses), then allow a small amount of money that you CAN spend guilt free, say 5-10% of your income, or however much you can afford. Don't worry, you will earn more money in the future, but try to save at least a small amount now.

Personally I try to save about 60-70% of my income (including all expenses), then if I want to spend a small amount I have some leeway.

The thing is I currently don’t have an income because my job is in my home town and I havent found a job where my university is
Reply 6
The thing is I currently don’t have an income because my job is in my home town and I havent found a job where my university is

Honestly if I was in your situation then, I would just try to save what you can until you get a solid income. 4k is a good amount, specially when some people don't have £100 to their name. Spend a bit, but don't exceed your boundaries. The only way to be rich is to act and live like you're poor.
If I had that much in savings at uni, I would buy the essentials and then treats every so often. So long as you save the majority, you will be fine. I know what it's like to feel anxious spending, because that's exactly what I'm like now.
Reply 8
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
If I had that much in savings at uni, I would buy the essentials and then treats every so often. So long as you save the majority, you will be fine. I know what it's like to feel anxious spending, because that's exactly what I'm like now.

how much do you think i should save?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending