Imperial 2020 Applicants Thread *OFFICIAL*

Watch
tiff.wxng
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Most of us will be in year 12 and watching the year 13s stress over uni applications and UCAS and PS made me think of starting a thread to start to have a think about which unis you have in mind. This one is specifically for Imperial, please feel free to share any advice - after all we are all in the same boat.

Introductions:
1)What A-levels are you taking and what grades are you hoping for?
2)What subject(s) are thinking of applying for at Imperial?
3)What were your GCSE Grades?
4)Why Imperial?

About UCAS specifically:
5)Besides Imperial what other unis are you thinking of applying?
6)Have you gone to any of the open days for Imperial?
7)What are you currently doing (academically especially) to make your application stronger.
8)Would you have to sit an admission test, if so, which one.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by tiff.wxng)
Most of us will be in year 12 and watching the year 13s stress over uni applications and UCAS and PS made me think of starting a thread to start to have a think about which unis you have in mind. This one is specifically for Imperial, please feel free to share any advice - after all we are all in the same boat.

Introductions:
4)Why Imperial?

About UCAS specifically:
7)What are you currently doing (academically especially) to make your application stronger.
Wow. This thread is early.:laugh:

I've moved it into the Imperial College London forum for you.:yy:
tiff.wxng
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
Wow. This thread is early.:laugh:

I've moved it into the Imperial College London forum for you.:yy:
Thanks
tiff.wxng
Rep:
?
Ok, so since I created this thread, I might as well start it off.

1) What A-levels are you taking and what grades are you hoping for?

Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics A*A*AA

2) What subject are thinking of applying for at Imperial?

Maths

3) What are your GCSE Grades?

1 x 9, 2 x 8s, 1 x 7, 2A*S, 5As – I know, not Imperial worthy, but it’s better to try and not get in, than to regret not trying later. I might waste a valuable university space, but you can’t say that I didn’t try

4) Why Imperial?

Because it’s the place that I’ve wanted to go for the past 3 years. I’ve always been encouraged by my family to go and ‘do the best that I can do and carry on learning and stretching myself’, which in my dreams is attending a high ranking Russell Group. They really have a work hard play hard attitude which I admire and I’m really interested in the research they undertake. I also really wanted to go to a London based university because I've lived in London all my life and it's just convenient for me. I've had friends who used to and still currently do go to Imperial, and they love it there; hard work, but it's definitely rewarding. All in all, I just like the atmosphere there.

About UCAS specifically:

Cambridge (a bit of a stretch), UCL, LSE, KCL

Yes, I went to the one in September. It was really useful as I asked lots of questions and attended several talks. Having a walk around the campus was useful.

Lots and lots of wider reading, going to evening lectures, visiting museums, taking part in UKMT and other various maths challenges. In terms of more soft skills, I do a lot of music and music related clubs, as well as taking part in Gold DofE.

MAT is required for Imperial unless you apply after the MAT deadline, by which you would need to do STEP. Having said that, STEP is required for Cambridge, but MAT for Warrick. The other universities listed above state that STEP/MAT/AEA is seen as an 'extra'.
Toastiekid
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
:eek: how do you already know exactly what you want to do and where?!
I’ve just started year 12 (same a-levels) but I’m not sure what I want to do:laugh:- clearly you’re a fan of London?:dontknow:
Good luck with year 12
Rohan77642
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ok, so since I created this thread, I might as well start it off.

1) What A-levels are you taking and what grades are you hoping for?

Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics A*A*AA

2) What subject are thinking of applying for at Imperial?

Maths

3) What are your GCSE Grades?

1 x 9, 2 x 8s, 1 x 7, 2A*S, 5As – I know, not Imperial worthy, but it’s better to try and not get in, than to regret not trying later. I might waste a valuable university space, but you can’t say that I didn’t try

4) Why Imperial?

Because it’s the place that I’ve wanted to go for the past 3 years. I’ve always been encouraged by my family to go and ‘do the best that I can do and carry on learning and stretching myself’, which in my dreams is attending a high ranking Russell Group. They really have a work hard play hard attitude which I admire and I’m really interested in the research they undertake. I also really wanted to go to a London based university because I've lived in London all my life and it's just convenient for me. I've had friends who used to and still currently do go to Imperial, and they love it there; hard work, but it's definitely rewarding. All in all, I just like the atmosphere there.

About UCAS specifically:

Cambridge (a bit of a stretch), UCL, LSE, KCL

Yes, I went to the one in September. It was really useful as I asked lots of questions and attended several talks. Having a walk around the campus was useful.

Lots and lots of wider reading, going to evening lectures, visiting museums, taking part in UKMT and other various maths challenges. In terms of more soft skills, I do a lot of music and music related clubs, as well as taking part in Gold DofE.

MAT is required for Imperial unless you apply after the MAT deadline, by which you would need to do STEP. Having said that, STEP is required for Cambridge, but MAT for Warrick. The other universities listed above state that STEP/MAT/AEA is seen as an 'extra'.
MAT is not required for Warwick either. It's also "extra" (used for a reduced offer).
tiff.wxng
Rep:
?
(Original post by Toastiekid)
I’ve just started year 12 (same a-levels) but I’m not sure what I want to do:laugh:- clearly you’re a fan of London?:dontknow:
Good luck with year 12
:flute:yeah..... I've always lived in London and I'm rather familiar with the area. I also don't think I'm super comfortable living somewhere far from home and having to deal with not only the stresses of starting uni and making new friends, but not having a convenient way to reach home would be a bit too much for me. Imperial is only an hour away from where I live, so it's be relatively easily to visit home every now and then. Also, Imperial is super close to a ton of museums which is really interesting, it's virtually the centre of learning in London. I'm not saying the other universities aren't, because they're also super close to them, but it's literally down the road.
And the thing about 'knowing exactly what i want to do and where', I don't, it's only a kind of rough guide as to where i think i would enjoy being and learning. I'm still open to other options, it's just that i haven't seen any that particularly appeal to me yet
Toastiekid
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
:flute:yeah..... I've always lived in London and I'm rather familiar with the area. I also don't think I'm super comfortable living somewhere far from home and having to deal with not only the stresses of starting uni and making new friends, but not having a convenient way to reach home would be a bit too much for me. Imperial is only an hour away from where I live, so it's be relatively easily to visit home every now and then. Also, Imperial is super close to a ton of museums which is really interesting, it's virtually the centre of learning in London. I'm not saying the other universities aren't, because they're also super close to them, but it's literally down the road.
And the thing about 'knowing exactly what i want to do and where', I don't, it's only a kind of rough guide as to where i think i would enjoy being and learning. I'm still open to other options, it's just that i haven't seen any that particularly appeal to me yet
ah that's interesting:yep: i live in London too but want the opposite to you:laugh: i know i want to get v far away that's true, it's definitely in a great location.
ahh ok:thumbsup: thanks for clarifying, i was a bit intimidated:teehee:
_lucylu
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Keeping a close eye on imperial gem 2020, I hope they reintroduce gem
a1.weirdo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Toastiekid)
Good luck with year 12
u have always been indecisive. i was set with this stuff in like year 9
RavenclawOwl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Maths, Further Maths, English Lit, Psychology
Maths and Statistics
Equivalent of 11A* (mix of four 8s, five 9s and two A*s)
4)Why Imperial?
Love the look of the university in general, high ranking/ prestigious, I like the idea of being amongst others interested in purely STEM

About UCAS specifically:
Oxford, Bath, Warwick and Southampton, maybe Bristol?
Not yet but I've applied for the Sutton Trust Summer School 🤞
Mostly wider reading and listening to lectures. I just really love maths!

The MAT! Ahhh!
(3.1415926535)
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
this post was a mess so as I can’t delete the grammatical horror that was this post here’s a fill in sentence.
Last edited by (3.1415926535); 11 months ago
Meowgi256
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Maths, Further Maths, History, Psychology, predicted 4 A*s.
Mathematics MSci
999999998A*A*
4)Why Imperial?
Very good for Mathematics, amazing location, with brilliant resources and an amazing atmosphere.
About UCAS specifically:
Oxford, UCL, Bristol, Exeter
6)Have you gone to any of the open days for Imperial? Yes, today! Loved it.
7)What are you currently doing (academically especially) to make your application stronger. Extra reading, advanced questions, wider research.

MAT. Also STEP for UCL I think
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just FYI everyone, when it comes down to waiting for a response: Imperial take a pretty long while. How long you wait does not correlate with your chances of being accepted or rejected. Even if you apply in time for the October deadline, expect to wait until the following year to hear their final decision. And they don't necessarily send out their offers in one go like Oxford and Cambridge do. Someone applied to the same course as me at the same time, had their interview in November the day before me, I heard back on the 7th of January, they didn't hear back until March.

Also, offers tend to come through after 10 pm. If you're wondering about that.
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This thread has been added to the big list of 2020 appicant threads here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6033194

:yay:
American.Dragon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
1)I'm doing IB so for higher I'm doing:
Biology (Predicted 6)
Chemistry (Predicted 5)
Geography (Predicted 6)

2)Medicine

3)1x9 5x8 2x7 1x5 1xA 1xB

4)Really love the city and know London pretty well. Far enough that I can still visit home whenever

5)KCL, Bristol, Manchester not sure about the last one

6)Went to the one recently

7)Currently working on both chemistry and biology to get a better predicted. Need to improve on the short answer questions.

8)BMAT and UCAT. Gonna do the UCAT soon so have been revising for that.
(3.1415926535)
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by American.Dragon)
1)I'm doing IB so for higher I'm doing:
Biology (Predicted 6)
Chemistry (Predicted 5)
Geography (Predicted 6)

2)Medicine

3)1x9 5x8 2x7 1x5 1xA 1xB

4)Really love the city and know London pretty well. Far enough that I can still visit home whenever

5)KCL, Bristol, Manchester not sure about the last one

6)Went to the one recently

7)Currently working on both chemistry and biology to get a better predicted. Need to improve on the short answer questions.

8)BMAT and UCAT. Gonna do the UCAT soon so have been revising for that.
I realise I could probably find an easier source for this, but can you explain the IB grade system, like relative to A Levels or something?
(3.1415926535)
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I already did one of these but it was a mess, sorry
Maths, Physics, Further Maths and Chemistry, predicted A*A*AA but I think I can get an A* in FM
Physics MSci with Year abroad
9s in Physics, Maths, Bio, Chem, English Lang, Lit and History, 8 in CompSci and 7 in French, A in FSMQ additional maths so 999999987A as some of y’all are writing it
4)Why Imperial?
I love the course, London seems cool I actually genuinely just loved the vibe at imperial
About UCAS specifically:
Oxford, UCL, Manchester, Liverpool
6)Have you gone to any of the open days for Imperial? Yes, LOVED IT AMAZING 10/10
Reading, Qs, did a shadowing day of a physicist at Leicester, won a competition for women in science to go to ESRF with uni of Warwick, went on a headstart Physics course, went to CERN, seen some talks, have a ridiculously intense special interest in fusion so there’s that as well.
Unacademically I run my school’s amnesty intl youth group and I do tutoring for younger students
nah, but I’m doing the PAT for oxford
Last edited by (3.1415926535); 11 months ago
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
2019 applicant here.
Be prepared to wait ages for a response, and when it comes it'll be after 10pm.

My timeline went like this: (physics)
Applied October 10th
Invited to interview on 28th
Interview on 9th of November
Offer on 7th of January

I was lucky. Someone else had applied for physics at the same time, had their interview the day before me and had to wait until late March.
(3.1415926535)
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
2019 applicant here.
Be prepared to wait ages for a response, and when it comes it'll be after 10pm.

My timeline went like this: (physics)
Applied October 10th
Invited to interview on 28th
Interview on 9th of November
Offer on 7th of January

I was lucky. Someone else had applied for physics at the same time, had their interview the day before me and had to wait until late March.
What were your conditions?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (43)
7.88%
Confident (71)
13%
Indifferent (75)
13.74%
Unsure (142)
26.01%
Worried (215)
39.38%

Watched Threads