wisdomdjuke2000
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I want to study law with criminology at uni but does this specific course require a lot of reading compared to other law courses as I don't really get along with reading and is the course difficult overall?
RenéDescartes
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
All law courses have a lot of reading regardless. If you don’t like reading, I would recommend not doing any Law courses, any Arts/Humanities, and etc.
NYU℠
Badges: 20
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by wisdomdjuke2000)
I want to study law with criminology at uni but does this specific course require a lot of reading compared to other law courses as I don't really get along with reading and is the course difficult overall?
As above, if you can’t or don’t want to do reading, then law of any variety is not for you.
james_law
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just to re iterate with the above.

If you want to know more and gain a deeper knowledge of the law, you have to read far and wide. If you want to try fully understanding principles and reasoning, you have to read case judgements. You have to love reading if you want to do well. Just for example, topics like land law require lots of reading and it's very dry and quite frankly boring to most students.

Even if you dont love reading at first you'll learn to like it if you enjoy what your studying. Regarding the difficulty of doing a law course, its not that hard, however I work really hard and also I have a ''love'' for it. If you enjoy what you do then you'll be more inclined to want to know more and work hard which will lead you to being successful or being more successful than if you didnt enjoy it.
Mxf.e
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just out of curiosity what A levels did you do?
wisdomdjuke2000
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Mxf.e)
Just out of curiosity what A levels did you do?
Politics,economics,business
Claire461
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My degree is in Criminology and I graduated this summer. The majority of my class have employment in the field and other related fields.
RV3112
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by wisdomdjuke2000)
Yes, there's a ton of reading. To be honest, there's probably not that much difference between the amount of reading material between the course you're interested in and a general LL.B at a comparable uni.

I studied a few criminology modules at LL.M. level and the reading for these modules was significantly heavier than for the law modules. That could have been just my uni though. On the flip side, the content was much easier to digest.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
Why spend £27000 plus on a Mickey mouse course. There are no jobs in criminology. And don't be so offensive please.
There are jobs in criminology, for example if you want to go into offender management. There are jobs in academia. There are obviously the general grad schemes which do not require a specific degree.
theuncannyshi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Nowt to do with law being way harder, eh.
No I decided that I didn’t want to be a barrister lmao and I found a level law to be boring IMO
Not true I know I want to study criminology and whatever some nobody says it won’t change my mind
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by theuncannyshi)
No I decided that I didn’t want to be a barrister lmao and I found a level law to be boring IMO
And you found A-Level criminology to be utterly fascinating.

So you wanted to do law, changed your mind, and decided crim. Weren't you the one saying that crim students are not all failed law students?
theuncannyshi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
And you found A-Level criminology to be utterly fascinating.

So you wanted to do law, changed your mind, and decided crim. Weren't you the one saying that crim students are not all failed law students?

I am not trying to take the piss, just pointing out you're being a **** because you had your feelings hurt.
I didn’t do a level criminology lmfao
The only reason I decided not to pursue law is bc I don’t want to be a lawyer I’d rather work in counter-terrorism or the police it’s not that deep.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I didn’t do a level criminology lmfao
The only reason I decided not to pursue law is bc I don’t want to be a lawyer I’d rather work in counter-terrorism or the police it’s not that deep.
where did I say that?
Your feelings are obviously clearly hurt as you’re a law student haha
Law would have been better prep than criminology for CT work, in most cases. CT law can be rather complex for an officer and there is expected a great deal of familiarity. And in the posts which were deleted.
theuncannyshi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Law would have been better prep than criminology for CT work, in most cases. CT law can be rather complex for an officer and there is expected a great deal of familiarity. And in the posts which were deleted.
Hmm ok im not 100% what area I’m going into yet. & I didn’t delete anything? But you did delete the part where laws sacred and how us criminologists are histrionics :|
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hmm ok im not 100% what area I’m going into yet. & I didn’t delete anything? But you did delete the part where laws sacred and how us criminologists are histrionics :|
I never.

Some mod did.
Lady*Stardust
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I have removed all of the off topic and inappropriate comments in this thread. The OP is here for help and advice, please bear that in mind and keep your posts constructive and helpful. Thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Chester
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • Kingston University London
    All faculties involved Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (171)
53.44%
18-20 years old (no) (38)
11.88%
20-25 years old (yes) (51)
15.94%
20-25 years old (no) (5)
1.56%
25-30 years old (yes) (20)
6.25%