binlorry221
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Why are we so strict with firearms in the UK? I’m not against the process of obtaining a license for a firearm but I am against what you are able to own and use. Whenever I bring up the topic its always “well look at the USA they’ve got school shootings and gangs, if we could own guns like that our country would be in chaos”. It’s utter BS. If we still kept the same licensing process lifted the ban on semi automatics and handguns, we wouldn’t have a problem. The majority of firearms offences in the UK involve illegal firearms that were not licensed and were obtained illegally. I can’t be the only one who thinks like this as the current laws are a bit strange. It’s perfectly legal to own a .50 BMG bolt action anti material rifle (providing you have a place to shoot it) but I can’t own a 9mm pistol? it’s honestly stupid. Does anyone else think the same way?
Leti-
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why in the hell would you even need to own a gun ? Don't give a bs reason like "self protection" because that's what often gets people killed anyway. We don't need guns. Nobody does. They're completely unnecessary items of violence.
Soul Wavel3ngth
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by binlorry221)
Why are we so strict with firearms in the UK? I’m not against the process of obtaining a license for a firearm but I am against what you are able to own and use. Whenever I bring up the topic its always “well look at the USA they’ve got school shootings and gangs, if we could own guns like that our country would be in chaos”. It’s utter BS. If we still kept the same licensing process lifted the ban on semi automatics and handguns, we wouldn’t have a problem. The majority of firearms offences in the UK involve illegal firearms that were not licensed and were obtained illegally. I can’t be the only one who thinks like this as the current laws are a bit strange. It’s perfectly legal to own a .50 BMG bolt action anti material rifle (providing you have a place to shoot it) but I can’t own a 9mm pistol? it’s honestly stupid. Does anyone else think the same way?
Considering London is slowly turning into a ****hole where even the police are struggling to maintain order, a PDW would definetely be nice.
Soul Wavel3ngth
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Leti-)
Why in the hell would you even need to own a gun ? Don't give a bs reason like "self protection" because that's what often gets people killed anyway. We don't need guns. Nobody does. They're completely unnecessary items of violence.
https://www.businessinsider.com/us-g...cs-2018-3?IR=T

https://sicem365.com/forums/7/topics/24734

Also,knives are also "unnecessary items of violence". You know? The item that's being used by people to slaughter each other in our streets at a record number?
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's a different culture. Perhaps the UK would be fine having more guns because unlike the USA, we don't feel we need them to defend ourselves against an oppressive government (fat lot of good that'll do against the actual army, but hey), but that lack of passion probably would result in people not actually carrying them around that much anyway. It's also easier to get an illegal gun if more guns are around to flood any checks and dampen suspicions.
vickkyyx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I believe UK should not allow people to own a gun.I mean if you need protection then simply get yourself a better protection service aka cameras,alarms,gates,locks etc.Moreoever I believe that people would abuse the law (make is legal to own guns) and kill people.UK is already having problems,recent attacks etc.Just because USA have it doesn’t mean that UK should be allowed guns too plus now for all those shootings that has happened,the same would probably happen here
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Because they kill... with a moment of anger or rage. One you end up regretting for the rest of your life,
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why are we so strict with firearms in the UK?
Two answers

Hungerford Massacre
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungerford_massacre

Dunblane
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunblane_massacre

I don't want guns in our society. They serve no useful purpose whatsoever. Protection? More kids get shot by their parents guns in the US than by would-be attackers. Protection? -My backside!
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As above, it's because there was a school shooting, except unlike the US, this country decided to do something about it (same deal in Australia).

The only reason the US still clings to it is due to an antiquated part of the constitution written in a time when guns only held a single bullet and took 60 seconds to reload, and before the army protecting the government had ICBMs and apache gunships. It's an anachronism, and it's only the supreme conceit of America to believe the principle is worth keeping in spite of the cold truth that it does more harm than it will ever do good from now into the future.
bubblecat
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I hate the whole ‘guns should be allowed because there are already other weapons in society like knives!!’ argument. So what you’re saying is knife crime isn’t enough for you? You want there to be gun crime as well? Or you just want to help this criminals kill a lot more people in a lot less time?

People who want guns are bloodthirsty and deluded. There’s no need for them & quite frankly the people who think we should have them are dangerous and will probably resort to some type of crime in the future.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just a matter of social attitues really, we don't trust ourselves to have them. As mentioned, Dunblane was the real national turning point and there's never been a strong feeling to go back, and yes, the US does provide us a with a steady stream of examples of why we made the right choice, AFAIK 'Good guy with gun saves day!' is still outnumbered by 'Number of Americans shot by own dog'

As to the OP's Anti Material rifle, sure it's legal to own a rifle with a certificate, but there's a part where you have to justify why you need it...and the expectation is you are a member of a gun club and the weapon will be securely stored on their premises at all times, asking to have it at home will likely lead to the application going in the shredder.
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
Why is the American experience BS?

More arms in circulation, more opportunity for them to be used, more incidents, more death. Why would you want that?

Why do you want to own a 9mm pistol? I am glad you arent allowed to own one.
Kinyonga
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why does anyone feel the need to carry a weapon? I fail to see how more guns could make anywhere a safer place. You'd just end up paranoid anyway. As others have said, there are so many news stories of children getting their hands on guns, however safely the parents thought they'd locked them away, and killing parents or siblings or friends, whether because they were just playing or they got annoyed and didn't consider the consequences - or parents accidentally killing their children or someone else in the house whom they thought was an intruder.
FloralHybrid
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Because the more easily available guns are to get, the more people feel they need a gun for their own self protection, the more those without guns feel vulnerable, it’s a never ending cycle.

I’d much rather our current system, than a country with twice as many guns as people.
TheYearNiner
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No need for guns because image what a chav would do, they're brought up bad so their parents will be tramps aswell and out of ignorance may shoot someone for 'self defence'
username4171924
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Soul Wavel3ngth)
Considering London is slowly turning into a ****hole where even the police are struggling to maintain order, a PDW would definetely be nice.
London isn’t a war zone
Glaz
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Enough said.
HighOnGoofballs
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Leti-)
In America, 500000 - 3 million people are saved each year due to having a gun. This could include a confrontation where the criminal walks away after seeing a firearm, a civilian shoots first injuring the criminal etc etc. This research was conducted by the CDC.

In America, gun deaths cause max. 31000 deaths a year. 12000 are suicide. So, its reasonable to assume given the difference between 31000 and 500000 (min.) and 3 million (max.) that guns definitely save a lot more people in American than they kill.

Moreover, in America, the homicide rate is heavily influenced and skewed by gang activity. You will find lots of places where the homicide rate is on par or even lower than European averages, but these get heavily HEAVILY skewed when places like Detroit are put into the mix as they have homicide rates of 40 or 50.

So self-protection is certainly a very very valid reason.

Moreover, what about house break-ins? Emergency services cannot respond instantly, but often an instant response is what you need. This is actually one of the reasons the home-intrusion rate in the US is amazingly low.
HighOnGoofballs
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
As above, it's because there was a school shooting, except unlike the US, this country decided to do something about it (same deal in Australia).

The only reason the US still clings to it is due to an antiquated part of the constitution written in a time when guns only held a single bullet and took 60 seconds to reload, and before the army protecting the government had ICBMs and apache gunships. It's an anachronism, and it's only the supreme conceit of America to believe the principle is worth keeping in spite of the cold truth that it does more harm than it will ever do good from now into the future.
There have been 4 school shootings in Australia after its gun ban. The homicide rate hasn't changed either.
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by HighOnGoofballs)
In America, 500000 - 3 million people are saved each year due to having a gun. This could include a confrontation where the criminal walks away after seeing a firearm, a civilian shoots first injuring the criminal etc etc. This research was conducted by the CDC.

In America, gun deaths cause max. 31000 deaths a year. 12000 are suicide. So, its reasonable to assume given the difference between 31000 and 500000 (min.) and 3 million (max.) that guns definitely save a lot more people in American than they kill.

Moreover, in America, the homicide rate is heavily influenced and skewed by gang activity. You will find lots of places where the homicide rate is on par or even lower than European averages, but these get heavily HEAVILY skewed when places like Detroit are put into the mix as they have homicide rates of 40 or 50.

So self-protection is certainly a very very valid reason.

Moreover, what about house break-ins? Emergency services cannot respond instantly, but often an instant response is what you need. This is actually one of the reasons the home-intrusion rate in the US is amazingly low.
And what is the unlawful gun homicide rate in the US v the UK.

Love your first statistic. How many people in the UK are saved from not having guns. You need to watch Minority Report.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
7.03%
They might tell the bully (32)
9.79%
I don't think they'd understand (48)
14.68%
It might lead to more bullying (123)
37.61%
There's nothing they could do (101)
30.89%

Watched Threads