So ive started year 10 and these are the following subjects that I’ve taken
Maths
English lit & language
Combined science
History
German
Business studies
PE

So far, I’m enjoying all my subjects, besides maths& German. I’ve never been good at maths( I do Edexcel higher) and I’ve felt a massive step from KS3 German to gcse level.

I use Seneca learning for PE and business atm which I think is great and I also love using flash cards and my text books. I just lack so much motivation for German and maths as I don’t really enjoy them, I would rather be revising something else.

Also, does anyone have any tips for handling work and revision when going to things outside of school? I have netball training twice a week after school and I also go to the gym most days.

blackvoid17
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
With maths, get into the habit of practising questions on a regular basis. Thats all you can really do with maths tbh
HorusTheAvenger
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
With German, it really depends on the type of learner you are. I would suggest using flashcards (either handwritten or on a platform like Quizlet) and notes / revision cards. Once you understand a concept in German (I understand the language has a lot of rules you basically just have to learn), practice it a bit - you can use textbook questions, or literally search up 'german gcse + topic + practice / worksheet'.
For Maths, it's less of note-taking (though make sure you do have some notes) and more practice. Motivation-wise, perhaps split up your revision a bit and start off light before trying a couple of the more ambitious questions. Once you're confident on a topic, do a short 'test' (this just be a set of questions from a textbook) and you should remember the concepts. If you struggle with maths, try getting a revision guide as well as exam practice questions and just get into a habit of doing a bit every now and then.
As for balancing academics with extra-curricular activities, I would be cautious of doing too many extra curriculars, so make sure you're not overstretched. If you find you have too little time to do everything, focus more on the important things and maybe spend less time doing subjects that don't matter as much (i.e. the ones you definitely won't be taking at A-Level). Be mindful, though, that you should try achieving good grades in GCSE regardless of how useful or useless you feel the subject is!
alouisecarroll
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do all of your revision notes for year 10 in the summer before you go in to year 11 it saves you a hell of a lot of time! For English lit I summarised every chapter of the book and picked out key quotes and analysed them and put which points or chapters they could link to etc having it rewritten an simplified from your English book helps incredibly!

Also post it notes stick them everywhere ! Then u won’t miss them

Good luck with GCSES
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (157)
59.47%
No I haven't decided yet (61)
23.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (46)
17.42%

Watched Threads