A question for current medics: Masters > Graduate Entry Medicine > ACF? Watch

es..
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all.

I am about to finish my biomed degree and take a gap year before I apply for graduate entry medicine.

As I know I want to go down the academic route for medicine and so I wanted to know whether doing a Masters during my gap year will be helpful when I apply for the ACF. I have very vague understanding of the process but I am aware that having a strong interest in research aids you and doing a Masters etc can exemplify this.

Also, if it was the case that I do the Masters, will I have to do in an area that is linked to the eventual speciality I choose. I don't have a clear cut idea of what area of medicine I am interested (I'm not one of those people who knows that they wanted to be a surgeon since they became a fertilised egg) though my current interests are reproductive science and neuroscience.

I know it may seem that it's too early to think about these things but I really want my gap year to be useful and have some sort of meaning. I know I will definitely be working during it for sure but I want to know whether pursuing another degree is worthwhile.

Thanks in advance
SpringNicht
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you got a first, a masters will not improve your EPM. They're both worth 4 points.

What will be useful though is research and presenting and publications. If you're able to get involved with something decent that goes somewhere, you're onto a winner. Whether you get there via an MRes or whatever is up to you.

Is there a reason you want to take a gap year and not go straight through?
SpringNicht
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Royal Oak)
Presuming they are in their final year, the deadline is today and far too late to apply to go straight through at this point.
It's still important to know IMO. Is it because they want to work and gain experience - if so, they might be better collaborating with someone on audit or research when they're working in the NHS since it's ridiculous easy to get on things with clinical relevance when you're already in, and it has the bonus of being money in rather than another set of loans. Is it just that they've done UKCAT and it hasn't worked out this year so they're taking a year off? Or are they on course for a 2.2? Because then they absolutely should do the masters.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What do you think ACF is?

I would only do a masters if you want to do it. Its a huge time and monetary investment.

Deficiencies in CV can be addressed at med school.
Lightsparkles
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi OP, not sure if you’ve considered applying for a fully funded 4 year PhD? If your ultimate goal is to be an academic and work in research, wouldn’t it make more sense (both from a practicality perspective and out of financial considerations) to do a PhD? On the other hand, if you are interested in clinical medicine, then obviously apply to GEM.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (75)
73.53%
No I haven't decided yet (15)
14.71%
Yes but I might change my mind (12)
11.76%

Watched Threads