Replacement Tenant Issues Watch

sweetpotatochips
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all,

I am going to move out from my student accommodation soon and found a replacement tenant for my room. However, when the new tenant was completing her booking online, she found out that her rent has been increased as compared to the original rent. Since she is taking over an existing contract instead of signing a new one, shouldn't her rent remain the same as the original contract?

Has anyone encountered issues like that? How do you resolve it in the end?

Thanks in advanceee!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sweetpotatochips)
Hi all,

I am going to move out from my student accommodation soon and found a replacement tenant for my room. However, when the new tenant was completing her booking online, she found out that her rent has been increased as compared to the original rent. Since she is taking over an existing contract instead of signing a new one, shouldn't her rent remain the same as the original contract?

Has anyone encountered issues like that? How do you resolve it in the end?

Thanks in advanceee!
This sounds amazingly cheeky.

You will have to read the terms of the contract.

You can also try contacting Shelter to see what they have to say .

https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_help

Getting a copy of the terms of the agreement for renting the place is whats needed to id whether they can make such a change.
If you are unable to interpret it then someone needs to see it. If it lest them then you are stuck if it does not then you will need to know what to do.
Talk to shelter.
sweetpotatochips
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
This sounds amazingly cheeky.

You will have to read the terms of the contract.

You can also try contacting Shelter to see what they have to say .

https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_help

Getting a copy of the terms of the agreement for renting the place is whats needed to id whether they can make such a change.
If you are unable to interpret it then someone needs to see it. If it lest them then you are stuck if it does not then you will need to know what to do.
Talk to shelter.
Thanks for your reply! I have read through the tenancy agreement and they have only mentioned a replacement tenant need to be found in order to be released from my contract and did not mention anything about increase of price, or whether the replacement tenant should be paying the increased new price instead of the one on my contract. Shelter is closed now I will contact them tomorrow to see how it goes. Is legal help necessary for this situation?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sweetpotatochips)
Thanks for your reply! I have read through the tenancy agreement and they have only mentioned a replacement tenant need to be found in order to be released from my contract and did not mention anything about increase of price, or whether the replacement tenant should be paying the increased new price instead of the one on my contract. Shelter is closed now I will contact them tomorrow to see how it goes. Is legal help necessary for this situation?
You can also see if they are a member of a trade association and if they have a complaint system.
You might also try CAB.

As far as I can see it is an actual legal point as in what they can and cannot do.

Someone [ a lawyer or housing expert] would need to know if they have the right to do this, hence reading the contract.
If its silent then they have to analyse what is going on is it an assignment i.e someone simply taking over your old contract as is for the rest of the term or os it a cancellation and a new contract. If theres no specific thing that says they can increase the price and vary the terms, then they mau not have the right to do so.

The point about legal is that if you just say are you allowed to do that then they will say yes. What are you going to do?

You can also try and get an opinion from a law third year imo or law clinic [ see if your uni runs one] as to what the legal situation is. Without doing the research and seeing the documents i wouldnt know.

You can also try a law centre.

There are also some landlord forums and occasionally people on there are experienced, but its variable.

What is important is you dont lose your tenant. Its a wasting asset.

http://www.lawcentres.org.uk/i-am-looking-for-advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (363)
59.31%
Yes- I don't like it (33)
5.39%
No- I want it (172)
28.1%
No- I don't want it (44)
7.19%

Watched Threads