The Student Room Group

applying for oxford international college

Is there anyone who studies in oxford international college who can tell me about what the admissions tests are like? I applied today and the admission tests are on the coming Thursday and Friday (I'm applying for maths, further maths, physics and geography). I'm really worried since I forgot about some of the topics I learnt last year in Form 4 and I don't think I'll have enough time to revise for the test. Do I actually have to study for the admissions test? Is it difficult?
(btw I'm from Hong Kong and is now studying Form 5)

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by hollydayz
Is there anyone who studies in oxford international college who can tell me about what the admissions tests are like? I applied today and the admission tests are on the coming Thursday and Friday (I'm applying for maths, further maths, physics and geography). I'm really worried since I forgot about some of the topics I learnt last year in Form 4 and I don't think I'll have enough time to revise for the test. Do I actually have to study for the admissions test? Is it difficult?
(btw I'm from Hong Kong and is now studying Form 5)

Just saw ur post and I'm also from Hong Kong but I've applied for OIC as well, with my exams in early december. How did the exam and interview go? Was it any hard? I have many more questions so I would really appreciate it if you could answer some of them. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by FlyFeathers
Just saw ur post and I'm also from Hong Kong but I've applied for OIC as well, with my exams in early december. How did the exam and interview go? Was it any hard? I have many more questions so I would really appreciate it if you could answer some of them. :smile:

Hi! The exams were pretty easy and very straightforward. (Fyi I'm studying in a local school in hk and following the hkdse syllabus, not sure if u are the same, if you do no need to worry at all) For maths and further maths no need to worry but for physics i did a little revision and i would advise you to do so too for science subjects. (Just the main concepts and equations will be fine) The interview was mainly about your future career choice / university course choice and also why you want to go to OIC. I had the interview with Yasmin and she's very nice:smile: Oh and I already got a conditional offer which depends on my IELTS. Good luck with your entrance exams and interview, you will be fine! Feel free to ask me any other questions
Hi! The exams were pretty easy and very straightforward. (Fyi I'm studying in a local school in hk and following the hkdse syllabus, not sure if u are the same, if you do no need to worry at all) For maths and further maths no need to worry but for physics i did a little revision and i would advise you to do so too for science subjects. (Just the main concepts and equations will be fine) The interview was mainly about your future career choice / university course choice and also why you want to go to OIC. I had the interview with Yasmin and she's very nice:smile: Oh and I already got a conditional offer which depends on my IELTS. Good luck with your entrance exams and interview, you will be fine! Feel free to ask me any other questions

Thanks for the reply! I’m applying for physics, maths, further maths as well, and economics as my fourth subject. I was studying IB in a Hong Kong international school up till last year, where I came to the UK to study IGCSE. I was just wondering what were the harder topics for further maths? I have the syllabus and some seems pretty hard but I wasn’t sure if everything would be assessed on the exam. I have a few more weeks till I have the exam and I’m just slightly nervous, so any advice or general tips would be appreciated!
Reply 5
Thanks for the reply! I’m applying for physics, maths, further maths as well, and economics as my fourth subject. I was studying IB in a Hong Kong international school up till last year, where I came to the UK to study IGCSE. I was just wondering what were the harder topics for further maths? I have the syllabus and some seems pretty hard but I wasn’t sure if everything would be assessed on the exam. I have a few more weeks till I have the exam and I’m just slightly nervous, so any advice or general tips would be appreciated!

hmm not sure whether everything from the syllabus is assessed since I didn't receive a syllabus before the exam and was only told it was GCSE/IGCSE level (so I didn't prepare for it since idk what to study). I don't think there is a topic that is harder than the others, to me they were all of the similar difficulty. I think that it will be fine as long as you have learnt those topics before and understand them(like I said before the questions are pretty straightforward compared to the math I do at school).
Ah alright, let me know if you get an offer by december, also just out of curiosity, is there any other schools you’ve applied to?
Reply 7
Ah alright, let me know if you get an offer by december, also just out of curiosity, is there any other schools you’ve applied to?

I've already got a conditional offer which depends on my IELTS and GCSES (but i don't take gcses so it depends on my Form 5 results)
I've applied to Cardiff Sixth Form College too, but then tbh I think OIC is better
I've already got a conditional offer which depends on my IELTS and GCSES (but i don't take gcses so it depends on my Form 5 results)
I've applied to Cardiff Sixth Form College too, but then tbh I think OIC is better

Damn, I wish my results were good enough to reply to the two of the best colleges in the uk.. :P was the CSFC entrance exam hard?
Reply 9
Damn, I wish my results were good enough to reply to the two of the best colleges in the uk.. :P was the CSFC entrance exam hard?

In my opinion it's harder than the exam for OIC. (The questions are less straightforward and requires more thinking) So far I've only taken the CSFC exams for three subjects and there's still one left. Did you also apply for CSFC? (Also I'm sure your results are also pretty good since you're also considering OIC😛you'll do fine!)
In my opinion it's harder than the exam for OIC. (The questions are less straightforward and requires more thinking) So far I've only taken the CSFC exams for three subjects and there's still one left. Did you also apply for CSFC? (Also I'm sure your results are also pretty good since you're also considering OIC😛you'll do fine!)

The requirements for both is 6 a* and my predicted right now is 5a* 3a and a b, ive already gotten an a* so im basically just above the minmum requirements, i want to apply for CSFC but im not sure if the admissions are closed.
Reply 11
The requirements for both is 6 a* and my predicted right now is 5a* 3a and a b, ive already gotten an a* so im basically just above the minmum requirements, i want to apply for CSFC but im not sure if the admissions are closed.

oh the requirements for OIC and Cardiff are the same? Didn't know since I only provided the two schools with my school reports when I applied😅
Im not sure if the admissions are closed yet for cardiff, perhaps you can check the school website?
I just did my entrance exams and they were really easy! Sadly, I’ll probably be going to brighton college, seeing that I’ve already payed its acceptance deposit. Anyways, I was able to talk to my friend that was in the school and it seemed like it was an extremely academic scholl, and everyone had a good relationship with the headmistress- Yasmin, heard a lot of good things about her and the school, so good luck to you if you manage to get in.
Reply 13
I just did my entrance exams and they were really easy! Sadly, I’ll probably be going to brighton college, seeing that I’ve already payed its acceptance deposit. Anyways, I was able to talk to my friend that was in the school and it seemed like it was an extremely academic scholl, and everyone had a good relationship with the headmistress- Yasmin, heard a lot of good things about her and the school, so good luck to you if you manage to get in.

oh I see, thanks and good luck to you too:biggrin:
Reply 14
Hi everyone!
I have also applied to CSFC and OIC and gotten the conditional offer from Oxford. I am waiting for the response from Cardiff since I have just done the exams few weeks ago and had an interview two days ago. I will probably end up going to OIC since I felt like it was the school for me after the interview.
I have to do the IELTS aswell.
Does anyone know any other people enrolling at OIC on September 2019?
And is there perhaps a group on instagram with people planing to do their A-levels at OIC?
Reply 15
Original post by LaraD1
Hi everyone!
I have also applied to CSFC and OIC and gotten the conditional offer from Oxford. I am waiting for the response from Cardiff since I have just done the exams few weeks ago and had an interview two days ago. I will probably end up going to OIC since I felt like it was the school for me after the interview.
I have to do the IELTS aswell.
Does anyone know any other people enrolling at OIC on September 2019?
And is there perhaps a group on instagram with people planing to do their A-levels at OIC?

hi there! i got offers for both CSFC and OIC and I chose OIC at the end as well! So far I only know one person who's going to OIC and we're both from Hong Kong. Not sure is there a group though but I would like to join if there's one
hi there! i got offers for both CSFC and OIC and I chose OIC at the end as well! So far I only know one person who's going to OIC and we're both from Hong Kong. Not sure is there a group though but I would like to join if there's one

Same here, I got a unconditional offer from OIC a few weeks ago so I'll be going there for sure this september, out of curiosity, what subjects do you guys do?
Reply 17
Same here, I got a unconditional offer from OIC a few weeks ago so I'll be going there for sure this september, out of curiosity, what subjects do you guys do?

Bio, maths, chemistry and physics.
How did you get an unconditional offer?
Don't you have to do the IELTS?
Reply 18

wait, I thought you're going to brighton college? I'm doing maths, further maths, physics and geography

Hi! I'm sitting for my entrance exam tomorrow and may I know if the exam was mainly on additional maths or normal IGCSE maths? I applied for further maths, maths, psychology and economics and was told that I needed to take a maths exam but wasn't specified on whether it was to be on additional maths or normal maths. I'm worried because I've taken my normal maths IGCSE in my first year and I've basically forgotten everything about it that was non-related to additional maths so please help :frown:
(edited 5 years ago)

Latest