The Student Room Group

How important are league tables?

I’m stuck between Birmingham and Exeter for law because Exeter ranks 19th on thecompleteuniversityguide and 32nd on the guardian whereas Birmingham ranks 26th on theCUG and 27th on the guardian. Should I take these into account when deciding which one to go to as I feel like I’d enjoy Birmingham more however since it’s lower ranked/less prestigious than Exeter I feel as if I should choose Exeter as it would provide me with better prospects in the future?
Also I’ve heard many views that Birmingham grads find it hard to get employment after their law degree, is this true?
Reply 1
In this case, any difference in prestige between these two unis is minimal.

Look at other factors when making your decision. If you like Birmingham better, go with Birmingham.
Original post by Zoey101_
I’m stuck between Birmingham and Exeter for law because Exeter ranks 19th on thecompleteuniversityguide and 32nd on the guardian whereas Birmingham ranks 26th on theCUG and 27th on the guardian. Should I take these into account when deciding which one to go to as I feel like I’d enjoy Birmingham more however since it’s lower ranked/less prestigious than Exeter I feel as if I should choose Exeter as it would provide me with better prospects in the future?
Also I’ve heard many views that Birmingham grads find it hard to get employment after their law degree, is this true?

league tables are very important. forget the overall rank and look at the individual criteria and decide what is most important to you.

your decision should be split into four: uni, location, course and league table stats
The league tables are crap, especially the subject-specific ones. They disagree with each other and really shoddy law courses happen to end up very high on both CUG and Guardian law tables. I am not sure why they are so wrong -- but I suspect it comes down to the stats being misleading in some way (small sample, or massaged by the unis, or something). So I would take the individual stats from tables with a pinch of salt, also.

Brum is not really less prestigious. I don't think any course is prestigious outside of Oxbridge and LSE/UCL. Perhaps KCL/Durham/Bristol. Yes, your friends might be more impressed that you went to QMUL rather than Newcastle -- but no one else cares.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
The only thing which you should keep at the top of your criteria is how good the career prospects are with the uni. Then you should look at location, course, etc.

For stuff like medicine, vet, etc, then league tables are essentially useless

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending