infrared spectroscopy AS chemistry question

Watch this thread
Bertybassett
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello, in regards to infrared spectroscopy, I was wondering, if you had a peak on a graph at say 3400, how would you know if the peak was for the function group n-h or o-h? the given range of their wavenumbers overlap?

What I don't understand is that the values for the wavenumbers of different functional groups sometimes overlap, so how do you differentiate between them?
charco
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Bertybassett)
Hello, in regards to infrared spectroscopy, I was wondering, if you had a peak on a graph at say 3400, how would you know if the peak was for the function group n-h or o-h? the given range of their wavenumbers overlap?

What I don't understand is that the values for the wavenumbers of different functional groups sometimes overlap, so how do you differentiate between them?
In short, you can't.

IR is not able to identify components, only to give hints as to what may be present. There are a few functional groups that produce fairly characteristic absorbances, such as carbonyl and hydrogen bonded OH (and NH), but in general IR is used to give clues as to the possible functional groups as well as absolute identification using the overall fingerprint of an unknown against the IR spectrum of a database.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (15)
15.63%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (25)
26.04%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (52)
54.17%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
4.17%

Watched Threads