The Student Room Group

French and Arabic; 2019 application

Hi guys, would love to chat to anyone else applying for French and Arabic for 2019 entry. No one I know has studied Arabic so I am excited but nervous... Would love to compare offers and uni choices etc.
Thanks!
So far ive applied to Cambridge for french and arabic, durham for modern languages and warwick for modern languages. I have an offer from durham!
Reply 2
Original post by student413
So far ive applied to Cambridge for french and arabic, durham for modern languages and warwick for modern languages. I have an offer from durham!

So do I! I also have an interview with manchester on the 7th.

Why do you want to study the subjects?
Original post by lfe2018

Well ever since I started French in year 7 I found it really easy and interesting. I think alot of people doing languages degrees do them for learning about culture etc and thats the main part that interests them but for me the most interesting part is learning the grammar, its like a fun puzzle. What other unis have you applied to?
Reply 4
I have applied to UCL/SOAS, Exeter and Oxford...
Why Arabic then?
Reply 6
I am just waiting on my teacher to ((finally)) finish my reference and then I'll be applying for French and Arabic at Manchester, Edinburgh and Exeter, and Arabic and Middle eastern studies at SOAS and Leeds - Manchester is 100% my top choice so fingers crossed I get an offer haha
Original post by AR1820
I am just waiting on my teacher to ((finally)) finish my reference and then I'll be applying for French and Arabic at Manchester, Edinburgh and Exeter, and Arabic and Middle eastern studies at SOAS and Leeds - Manchester is 100% my top choice so fingers crossed I get an offer haha

Why is Manchester your top choice?
Reply 8
Why Arabic then?

I just am fascinated by the culture and want to better understand conflict in the Middle East...
Reply 9
Original post by AR1820

Why aren't you doing French and Arabic at SOAS and Leeds?
Reply 10
Did anyone do the OMALT/MLAT exam today?
Original post by lfe2018
Did anyone do the OMALT/MLAT exam today?

I wish! Was looking at the past papers and they look relatively straightforward even if I might not have known all the vocab for the MLAT. For Arabic at Cambridge they make you do an Advanced English language assessment which involves 36 multiple choice questions analysing different texts and then a summary of and an essay about a longer piece of text, which is really not my forte, would have much preferred to do something like the MLAT, which I will be doing if I get an interview.
Why is Manchester your top choice?

I really like the emphasis on Politics and Culture (especially in regards to conflict within the Middle East) within the non-language units over literature which has never really been my thing - also, I really like the city, especially the music scene in particular
Original post by lfe2018
Why aren't you doing French and Arabic at SOAS and Leeds?

Leeds isn't running French and Arabic this year so I figured I may as well apply for a similar course anyway - and SOAS is actually for Arabic and Development Studies which I find really interesting and I reckoned would be a good choice to add a little variation. I would have chosen French and Arabic at SOAS but the French would be taught via UCL and I don't like the heavy emphasis on the literature and film within the course structure
Reply 14
Original post by arice1820
Leeds isn't running French and Arabic this year so I figured I may as well apply for a similar course anyway - and SOAS is actually for Arabic and Development Studies which I find really interesting and I reckoned would be a good choice to add a little variation. I would have chosen French and Arabic at SOAS but the French would be taught via UCL and I don't like the heavy emphasis on the literature and film within the course structure

Oh that's so interesting, I was going to apply to Leeds but I couldn't find it on the website and that freaked me out so I decided to apply to Manchester...

What film/lit are you studying at A Level for French?
Original post by lfe2018
Oh that's so interesting, I was going to apply to Leeds but I couldn't find it on the website and that freaked me out so I decided to apply to Manchester...

What film/lit are you studying at A Level for French?

We're doing Les 400 Coups (Truffaut) for our film and Bonjour Tristesse (Sagan) as our book, how about you?
Also has anybody else got a Manchester interview on the 14th?
Original post by lfe2018

How was your interview at Manchester? What kinda stuff did they ask you and was the French conversation bit okay?
Reply 17
Original post by arice1820
How was your interview at Manchester? What kinda stuff did they ask you and was the French conversation bit okay?

They didn't ask any about French nor have a conversation in French

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending