Can I get into Oxbridge/Imperial with 3 A Levels? Watch

Scriptle
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Is it possible to get into Oxbridge or ICL with only 3 A levels as opposed to 4? Do the majority of applicants take 3 or 4 A levels? Will 3 A Levels EPQ benefit your application in any way?

Edit: I forgot to mention, is 3 A Levels still alright if one of them is Further Maths?
RazorM
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Yes if you have a look at their respective website you would see that they want a minimum of 3 A levels, with 'xxx' grades.

Currently, 3 is the norm.
Scriptle
Rep:
?
(Original post by RazorM)
Yes if you have a look at their respective website you would see that they want a minimum of 3 A levels, with 'xxx' grades.

Currently, 3 is the norm.
Why do people take 4 A Levels then if only 3 are required?
swaus
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Scriptle)
Why do people take 4 A Levels then if only 3 are required?
My college makes us take 4 when you start AS. I think some people take 4 to keep their options open, too.
Scriptle
Rep:
?
(Original post by swaus)
My college makes us take 4 when you start AS. I think some people take 4 to keep their options open, too.
Do you have to keep all 4 or can you drop 1?
isiaiah d
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Is it possible to get into Oxbridge or ICL with only 3 A levels as opposed to 4? Do the majority of applicants take 3 or 4 A levels? Will 3 A Levels + EPQ benefit your application in any way?
I did 3 A-Levels and EPQ and got in last year and they spent half the time at interview talking about my EPQ which really helped, so yeah if it's relevant then it can be beneficial, but then again it depends who interviews you; my EPQ wasn't directly relevant but my interviewers were interested in it (My EPQ was on aliens and I was applying for chemistry and molecular physics)
ikuyo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Only THREE??? You’ll end up in the gutter. You really thought having merely THREE a levels would suffice (eventhoughmostoxbrideapplicants onlyhavethreewithouttheepqoranyo theradditionalqualification)??? HAH

But fr, you TSR people are wack. Of corse you’ll be fine. Your offer will only be for 3 grades not 4. And I suggest concentrating on your a levels rather than EPQ or all that faff—trust me, I’m doing 4 A Levels and we had to do a compulsory EPQ last year in year 12 and time management was Not Fun. Chase those 3 A*s instead. Good luck
Scriptle
Rep:
?
(Original post by isiaiah d)
I did 3 A-Levels and EPQ and got in last year and they spent half the time at interview talking about my EPQ which really helped, so yeah if it's relevant then it can be beneficial, but then again it depends who interviews you; my EPQ wasn't directly relevant but my interviewers were interested in it (My EPQ was on aliens and I was applying for chemistry and molecular physics)
Congrats. Which uni did u get into if you don’t mind me asking?
Scriptle
Rep:
?
(Original post by ikuyo)
Only THREE??? You’ll end up in the gutter. You really thought having merely THREE a levels would suffice (eventhoughmostoxbrideapplicants onlyhavethreewithouttheepqoranyo theradditionalqualification)??? HAH

But fr, you TSR people are wack. Of corse you’ll be fine. Your offer will only be for 3 grades not 4
Is there any documentation/stats on how many A Levels people apply to Oxbridge with? I would be interested to see this.
isiaiah d
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Congrats. Which uni did u get into if you don’t mind me asking?
I'm reapplying.

My offer was A*A*A in Chemistry Math and Physics
but I got: A*A*A in Physics, Maths, and Chemistry and they let me in
(same results but A* in physics and not chemistry, they did take a few hours to confirm me on my UCAS though which means they looked at my paper marks/interview scores and then decided to let me in.
swaus
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Do you have to keep all 4 or can you drop 1?
You can drop one after year 12, so you'd finish with an AS in that subject. Seems kind of irritating to me, just wanted to do maths chem bio but do physics aswell which I plan on dropping after AS (although it's quite interesting, it's easily my hardest one) :rolleyes:
Scriptle
Rep:
?
I'm reapplying.

My offer was A*A*A in Chemistry Math and Physics
but I got: A*A*A in Physics, Maths, and Chemistry and they let me in
(same results but A* in physics and not chemistry, they did take a few hours to confirm me on my UCAS though which means they looked at my paper marks/interview scores and then decided to let me in.
Great to hear that they aren’t as strict with applications as I thought. Sorry, but was this Cambridge, Oxford or Imperial that you are talking about?
Scriptle
Rep:
?
(Original post by swaus)
You can drop one after year 12, so you'd finish with an AS in that subject. Seems kind of irritating to me, just wanted to do maths chem bio but do physics aswell which I plan on dropping after AS (although it's quite interesting, it's easily my hardest one) :rolleyes:
Your school still does AS Levels? I thought they were scrapped because of the new Linear A Levels.
isiaiah d
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Great to hear that they aren’t as strict with applications as I thought. Sorry, but was this Cambridge, Oxford or Imperial that you are talking about?
Imperial, I also interviewed for Cambridge though. For Cambridge it depends what subject you want to apply for though.
swaus
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Your school still does AS Levels? I thought they were scrapped because of the Linear A Levels.
They haven't really told us much, but it's implied they're entering us for them because in the handbooks it mentions us going on to do them. From what I gather, they still exist but some schools choose not to have them. These reforms are super confusing imo.
Scriptle
Rep:
?
Imperial, I also interviewed for Cambridge though. For Cambridge it depends what subject you want to apply for though.
Ah okay. I want to apply for Computer Science so I should be fine, right?
isiaiah d
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Ah okay. I want to apply for Computer Science so I should be fine, right?
yes, check the course website though.
Scriptle
Rep:
?
(Original post by swaus)
They haven't really told us much, but it's implied they're entering us for them because in the handbooks it mentions us going on to do them. From what I gather, they still exist but some schools choose not to have them. These reforms are super confusing imo.
Ikr. The old A Levels were perfectly fine the way they were and if it wasn’t for the reforms, I wouldn’t have this dilemma as I would be taking 4 subjects anyways.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate