The Student Room Group

Insurance on Audi TT at 18

My friend Simon has been looking into getting insurance on a new Audi TT. He's 18, has been driving for about 20 months, 1 years no claims, no convictions etc. I actually feel quite bad for him, because he's worked his ass off to save up for this car since he was 16 and now has £22,000 saved for it.
Now, I don't really have that much of an idea about cars..but he's already been insured on a Mini Cooper since he turned 17, and I've heard those are quite difficult to get insured on. Some insurers will give him a quote on the Audi, and the lowest he's found was £4220 fully comprehensive. He wants to know if there will be much of an insurance drop, if he waits until the end of the summer and gets 2 years no claim bonus? Or if being 19 comes across as better to insurance companies?

Thanks if anyone can help.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The extra 1 years NCB will probably make a big difference. My 2nd years NCB has knocked my quote down from £1100 to £700 (that's on a Mini Cooper :p: ).
go on moneysupermarket.com for car insurance and compare the quotes under differing scenarios
Reply 3
^ Remember those quotes are often far more (we're talking thousands) than a young person would pay if they rang up and asked for a quote.
Reply 4
Companies like Endsleigh call you after you've made a quote with them online, which is a bit annoying, but that worked out better for me, saved about £250 from going through the details with them on the phone (though they were already the cheapest) - with my original quote being just under £800 fully comp.
well i got my insurance for £250 which was £400 less than phone quotes given so i cant complain expec considering i had a crash and a half decent car!
Ahhhh :eek:
Reply 7
Goodluck with that :smile:
Reply 8
I wouldn't even bother tbh. It'll probably be hard to find anyone who would even touch you at that age insuring that car and anyone who will will charge a fortune. There's other things your friend would have to consider other than the cost of the actual car and the insurance as well. For example, my mum's TT has just had it's MOT which cost over £500 in itself and then there's the tax which is stupidly high. If I were him i'd wait a few years yet
Reply 9
Thanks for the help guys. He spoke to a dealer yesterday afternoon, and even though it was an Audi dealer they told him to hold off for a couple more years. The car he was after was insurance group 19, so he doesn't really have much of a hope.
We've been looking at cars this morning, and he's going to get a Mazda MX-5 which is insurance group 10/11 depending on the engine size. Been able to get a quote of £2700 on that, which he can cope with. He's goin to take the advice about phoning the companies as well, to see if they'll give him a better deal offline.
Reply 10
xKarinx
I wouldn't even bother tbh. It'll probably be hard to find anyone who would even touch you at that age insuring that car and anyone who will will charge a fortune. There's other things your friend would have to consider other than the cost of the actual car and the insurance as well. For example, my mum's TT has just had it's MOT which cost over £500 in itself and then there's the tax which is stupidly high. If I were him i'd wait a few years yet

£500?!

Where did you get that done? We just had the Jags serviced and both of them together didn't cost £500!
Reply 11
Hahaha, good luck with getting insurance on a TT when you're 19, your friend has too much money and not enough common sense. Why the hell would you want to spend 22k on a car when you are 19? I suppose if you are after shallow blonde bimbos who you think will shag you because you have a TT. You know most drivers in the first few years of driving have an accident. Insurance does not drop alot until you are about 25. I have 6 years NCB and drive a 1.8 mondeo and it still costs me £500. If you want a quote go with Elephant, they have always been the cheapest, though read the T&C as your excess when you are under 25 can be very high, £500+
looking around on insurance websites, they often state the discount given for each year of NCB earnt. He may want to add an older second driver, that often brings it down. You could put them as the first driver, but for an Audi TT i wouldn't risk being fraudulent. Morethan.com is the cheapest quote i've found, and i shopped around for a VERY VERY VERY long time. Cis.co.uk came next, give them a go, and definately try the older second driver.
Reply 13
gbduo
£500?!

Where did you get that done? We just had the Jags serviced and both of them together didn't cost £500!

Obviouly went to an Audi Garage and said "I'm a woman and know nothing about cars, yes, OK, fit a new clutch, 4 new tyres and brakes"
Reply 14
One of the girls at Keele has a brand new, 57 plate Audi TT in pink!

Must have cost over £30k as it would have been an import (pink is only sold in Germany), converted to RHD and then sold on for a profit! It is the 3.2 as well so not the basic spec. Must have cost a fortune.

And even worse, she is a right minger and a bitch so much so, you couldn't marry her for her money because she would just get on your nerves all day!
Reply 15
dandan
Obviouly went to an Audi Garage and said "I'm a woman and know nothing about cars, yes, OK, fit a new clutch, 4 new tyres and brakes"

I hate it when garages rip people off.

An MOT costs £50, to charge 10x that amount is ridiculous!
Reply 16
gbduo
I hate it when garages rip people off.

An MOT costs £50, to charge 10x that amount is ridiculous!

I can get an MOT at local Quest Vauxahall Garage for £32.
Reply 17
gbduo

Must have cost over £30k as it would have been an import (pink is only sold in Germany), converted to RHD and then sold on for a profit! It is the 3.2 as well so not the basic spec. Must have cost a fortune.

And even worse, she is a right minger and a bitch so much so, you couldn't marry her for her money because she would just get on your nerves all day!

Hahahahahaha
gbduo

Import is the more expensive way of getting a pink TT... there's plenty of places to get a UK one resprayed!
Reply 19
Gypsy King
Import is the more expensive way of getting a pink TT... there's plenty of places to get a UK one resprayed!

Its an import, I did talk to the girl, that's how I know she is a bitch!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending