Sessimonster
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi
I really can’t get in for 9am and I’m not sure what to do. I commute to university to try and save some money. It’s about a 35 minute train journey. I am in at 9am on average about twice a week. However for that to work, I need to get a train at about 7:20 to get to where I need to be for 8. The next train after that and I would be late. To get to my train station I catch a 5 minute train, but this comes at 6:30. I just can’t be in uni 9-6 then need to be in at 9 the next day again. It’s too much. Especially when trying to juggle it with a health condition, and it makes me too tired to exercise, which is important for me. Anyone else have this problem?
username3917068
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Cfcsonster)
Hi
I really can’t get in for 9am and I’m not sure what to do. I commute to university to try and save some money. It’s about a 35 minute train journey. I am in at 9am on average about twice a week. However for that to work, I need to get a train at about 7:20 to get to where I need to be for 8. The next train after that and I would be late. To get to my train station I catch a 5 minute train, but this comes at 6:30. I just can’t be in uni 9-6 then need to be in at 9 the next day again. It’s too much. Anyone else have this problem?
No it's not.

Suck it up like the 99% other students and be grateful for your education.

Edit* Urg sorry that was a little bit harsh - I'm feeling irritable today.

Okay, but seriously, this is what uni life is about. It's difficult, it's unfair at times. Just remember that you signed up for it so it's best to just 'suck it up and deal with it'.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi
I really can’t get in for 9am and I’m not sure what to do. I commute to university to try and save some money. It’s about a 35 minute train journey. I am in at 9am on average about twice a week. However for that to work, I need to get a train at about 7:20 to get to where I need to be for 8. The next train after that and I would be late. To get to my train station I catch a 5 minute train, but this comes at 6:30. I just can’t be in uni 9-6 then need to be in at 9 the next day again. It’s too much. Anyone else have this problem?
You'd have to cope if you had a job! Either move nearer or you'll have to learn to manage.
Sessimonster
Rep:
?
(Original post by JamieK03)
No it's not.

Suck it up like the 99% other students and be grateful for your education.
Try living with a pretty serious health condition, need to do exercise, eat well etc then come back to me.

Just seen your edit mate. Fair enough, I think I’m gonna have to have a meeting with them though because it’s too hard to juggle. I’m then too tired to exercise which is detrimental to my health. Like a triangle
DieselGate
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Welcome to the real world my friend. Try doing this when you have a full time job.
L.D.S.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Have to agree with JamieK03, it’s not too much, I used to go to college which was a 30 minute train journey away from 9-5, lessons every period and an hour meeting over lunch, then straight to work until 10pm. Back in college 9 the next day. It may take some getting used to but once you get into a routine the body is good at adjusting.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You're just going to have to do it I'm afraid. It will take a bit of getting used to. It sucks but that's life, you'll probably find yourself in a similar situation when you start working. Commutes are rarely easy or fun.
Emma:-)
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
You're just going to have to do it I'm afraid. It will take a bit of getting used to. It sucks but that's life, you'll probably find yourself in a similar situation when you start working. Commutes are rarely easy or fun.
I agree.
Claire461
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi
Up at 5am. Breakfast. Prepare evening meal. Get special needs grandson up for college. Get him to the bus station. Back home, tidy up, get ready for uni at 9.
After lectures, shopping,, home. Read lecture notes for next day, do set work for seminar next day. Work on assignments. Evening meal. Washing, ironing. Bedtime around midnight.
Plan your day better. Let me know if you need any help. If I can do it at my age (70), it should be a piece of cake for you when you only have yourself to consider.
Emma:-)
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Try living with a pretty serious health condition, need to do exercise, eat well etc then come back to me.

Just seen your edit mate. Fair enough, I think I’m gonna have to have a meeting with them though because it’s too hard to juggle. I’m then too tired to exercise which is detrimental to my health. Like a triangle
What health condition do you actually have?
It may be worth speaking to them, but like has been said, you may have just just get on with it if you want to do the course you signed up for. Welcome to the working world.
Sessimonster
Rep:
?
(Original post by Seamus123)
Up at 5am. Breakfast. Prepare evening meal. Get special needs grandson up for college. Get him to the bus station. Back home, tidy up, get ready for uni at 9.
After lectures, shopping,, home. Read lecture notes for next day, do set work for seminar next day. Work on assignments. Evening meal. Washing, ironing. Bedtime around midnight.
Plan your day better. Let me know if you need any help. If I can do it at my age (70), it should be a piece of cake for you when you only have yourself to consider.
That is outstanding. Well done and props to you! Is it hard to only go in 5 hours sleep. And how could I fit exercise into that?
Sessimonster
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emma:-))
What health condition do you actually have?
It may be worth speaking to them, but like has been said, you may have just just get on with it if you want to do the course you signed up for. Welcome to the working world.
Cystic Fibrosis. Touch wood not been ill too often but that could all change if I don’t exercise. Also physiotherapist and appointments at the hospital sometimes. They are aware and they are compliant though and I appreciate it. It’s just hard though.
Claire461
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That is outstanding. Well done and props to you! Is it hard to only go in 5 hours sleep. And how could I fit exercise into that?
Not really hard. It comes of having 7 children and having to be organised. I have always got up that early and your body clock gets used to it. If it’s 4-5 hours unbroken sleep, it works well.
Do you have a break in lectures? Is there a gym at your uni?
i also have health conditions, Diabetes, heart condition, muscle condition which fluctuates throughout the year, PTSD, thyroid problems.
I graduated last month. Mind over matter is the key.
Claire461
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Cystic Fibrosis. Touch wood not been ill too often but that could all change if I don’t exercise. Also physiotherapist and appointments at the hospital sometimes. They are aware and they are compliant though and I appreciate it. It’s just hard though.
CF is tough. I have a new great granddaughter and her dad has CF.
Sessimonster
Rep:
?
Not really hard. It comes of having 7 children and having to be organised. I have always got up that early and your body clock gets used to it. If it’s 4-5 hours unbroken sleep, it works well.
Do you have a break in lectures? Is there a gym at your uni?
i also have health conditions, Diabetes, heart condition, muscle condition which fluctuates throughout the year, PTSD, thyroid problems.
I graduated last month. Mind over matter is the key.
Like I said before that’s fantastic. You really are disciplined within yourself and that’s amazing. On Mondays no I don’t apart from dinner. 9-12 1-2 2-4 4-6 is my hours, other days I do. I like being at my best for the gym, so I usually like good sleep beforehand or else I can’t put as much effort in and that shows with differences in weights and the ease that I find it. I like to swim too. I really have a hard time coping on low sleep. I guess if I got into a routine it would help though.
Sessimonster
Rep:
?
CF is tough. I have a new great granddaughter and her dad has CF.
Congrats to your new great granddaughter. It is, the lifestyle around it is hard, many preventative measures need to be taken and you have to keep on top of yourself a lot. I could tend to manage it at college as there were some days I was in 2pm etc so I could catch up on sleep and exercise. Working though I understand I’d have to find a way around it. The new medicines that the amazing scientists and medics are discovering day by day has made it much easier though than it used to be. Hell, years ago making it to this age was an accomplishment.
Claire461
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You will be fine. You just need to make sure you get enough sleep and keep to a regular routine with sleep, exercise, uni work and it will fall into place.
It’s all doable if you want it enough.
Sessimonster
Rep:
?
You will be fine. You just need to make sure you get enough sleep and keep to a regular routine with sleep, exercise, uni work and it will fall into place.
It’s all doable if you want it enough.
Thank you seamus. If you can do it, with the schedule you have, anyone can I guess. If I could give you all the rep in the world I would.
IxJ
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

It is a bugger, but to get the most out of uni you'll need to find a way. If catching the later train means you won't be too late, then the university might accept that, taking into account your health condition. However, you'd still be missing out on important parts of the lectures.

I come from a rural area, and my commute into town to do A-levels meant I had to be up at 6AM, and wouldn't arrive back until 5.30 at the earliest. The trick to still having productive days is to set a routine and keep to it even when you don't have to. Even on weekends I used to get up at 6 because it was the only way I could ensure I would be awake and alert come Monday morning, now I get up at 7 because my schedule means that's more convenient (I have some late lectures), because I have no 9AMs this year, but the same thing still applies.

Preparing meals for those two days in advance (including lunch to take in), laying out what you will need for each day (clothes, books, and devices), etc should help prepare you for the two days you are in that early and take some of the stress off from having to prepare in the evening.

Still, it's perfectly doable and the best way to do it is, as other people have said, to make it a habit so that your body naturally does most of the work.
Sessimonster
Rep:
?
(Original post by IxJ)
Hi,

It is a bugger, but to get the most out of uni you'll need to find a way. If catching the later train means you won't be too late, then the university might accept that, taking into account your health condition. However, you'd still be missing out on important parts of the lectures.

I come from a rural area, and my commute into town to do A-levels meant I had to be up at 6AM, and wouldn't arrive back until 5.30 at the earliest. The trick to still having productive days is to set a routine and keep to it even when you don't have to. Even on weekends I used to get up at 6 because it was the only way I could ensure I would be awake and alert come Monday morning, now I get up at 7 because my schedule means that's more convenient (I have some late lectures), because I have no 9AMs this year, but the same thing still applies.

Preparing meals for those two days in advance (including lunch to take in), laying out what you will need for each day (clothes, books, and devices), etc should help prepare you for the two days you are in that early and take some of the stress off from having to prepare in the evening.

Still, it's perfectly doable and the best way to do it is, as other people have said, to make it a habit so that your body naturally does most of the work.
Thanks for your reply! That is dedication right there, so props to you. I really really really need to get to grips with organisation, it’s something that I have always been lacklustre on and something that has gotten me into a lot of problems. I just find it hard to get organised. I’ve tried telling teachers when I was at school, at college, parents etc. Eventually my teachers started to think that there was something wrong, and it wasn’t because I could just “not be bothered” but this didn’t go any further medical wise. I’d often forget equipment, homework’s etc and even though I’d done them, I always had to say “not got it on me” and knowing everyone has that excuse, that obviously went down well. So then I had meetings with my parents and teachers etc. Even if I knew I’d have to pack stuff, I just forget something. Or if I focus on making sure I take something in, I’ll leave something important at home, like my keys. So really it’s something I need to get to terms with though. For weekends, I don’t think I could do that. I go out with friends, watch boxing ufc etc which are all early morning UK time, so that for me would be tough. Other than that though it’s all about mental perseverance like you said.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of West London
    Postgraduate Open Day - Ealing Site Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Nov '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Nov '19
  • University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
69.7%
No I haven't decided yet (33)
20%
Yes but I might change my mind (17)
10.3%

Watched Threads