The Student Room Group

So tired all the time

I have to study everyday but always end up sleeping because I’m so tired no matter how many hours I sleep. Slept for 13 hours last night and had a nap today because I’m so tired. I was talking from the time I woke up. My doctors said I have no iron deficiency and they don’t know what causes this. But nothing keeps me awake like normal people. Coffee doesn’t, energy drinks don’t. Nothing! What do I do? I am kind of trying to avoid doing work but I’m still so tired

Scroll to see replies

Get your thyroid checked.
Reply 2
I was tired from the time I woke up*
Reply 3
Original post by DieselGate
Get your thyroid checked.

Why?
Original post by Anonymous
Why?

Having an under-active thyroid can cause tiredness.
Reply 5

Wouldn’t my doctors have noticed this? My mum has a thyroid problem but that made her neck look bigger, mine hasn’t.
Wouldn’t my doctors have noticed this? My mum has a thyroid problem but that made her neck look bigger, mine hasn’t.

Assuming your doctor has done a blood test and checked your TSH levels?
Reply 7
Assuming your doctor has done a blood test and checked your TSH levels?

I’ve done a lot of blood tests but only for vitamin deficiency and stuff. I’ve searched this under active thyroid thing and I have more than one of the symptoms. I’ll go check that out, thanks
Reply 8
Oh okay. I also searched that up and seem to have some symptoms. I’ll let the doctors know , thanks :smile: i
Hope I get treated for this cause it’s ruining my life

Yep. My GP kept telling me it was my age (70), and it was being at uni and what did I expect? I insisted on a second opinion and it was under active thyroid.
I don’t drink them because they won’t work on me
Original post by Seamus123
Yep. My GP kept telling me it was my age (70), and it was being at uni and what did I expect? I insisted on a second opinion and it was under active thyroid.

I was diagnosed with it, although I didn't have any symptoms personally. A common trait of an under active thyroid is tiredness but that's not always the case.

Do you get pills for it and did your energy get better?
I was diagnosed with it, although I didn't have any symptoms personally. A common trait of an under active thyroid is tiredness but that's not always the case.

Tiredness wasn’t my only symptom, but, again, GP put it down to my age. I was having memory issues, and my cognitive skills weren’t what they were. Low moods too, and as I have diagnosed depression it was assumed that was the problem.
i have a high dose of thyroxine but had to have parathyroid surgery during the summer last year as they found a tumour on my thyroid.

Yes. thyroxine is the usual medication. After about three weeks, you can see a difference. There’s no harm in being checked out.

If you are diagnosed, you'll usually be put on a low dose of the Levothyroxine. You'll have frequent blood tests and the dosage increased if and when required to balance out the TSH levels. That should sort of the tiredness and energy levels.
Tiredness wasn’t my only symptom, but, again, GP put it down to my age. I was having memory issues, and my cognitive skills weren’t what they were. Low moods too, and as I have diagnosed depression it was assumed that was the problem.
i have a high dose of thyroxine but had to have parathyroid surgery during the summer last year as they found a tumour on my thyroid.

What were the symptoms you were getting if any when discovering the tumour?
Yes. thyroxine is the usual medication. After about three weeks, you can see a difference. There’s no harm in being checked out.

Is there no cure for it, will I have to take it forever?
If you are diagnosed, you'll usually be put on a low dose of the Levothyroxine. You'll have frequent blood tests and the dosage increased if and when required to balance out the TSH levels. That should sort of the tiredness and energy levels.

Thank god!
Is there no cure for it, will I have to take it forever?

You would have to take it forever, as do I.

Quick Reply

Latest