The Student Room Group

Applying to do something like veterinary science/ med without biology?

So basically I’m at uni but have realised I really want to do another subject. I did Physics, Maths and Chem at A-level getting BBC. With those grades I could’ve gotten into some gateway programs (as I went to a bad school, was in care, low income etc.) but I don’t have biology? So what can I do? It isn’t really feasible right now to go back and get that A-level (due to Home life), so is there anywhere that doesn’t require it? Or should I finish my current degree in engineering and then apply (as a 2:1/1st could help make up for my grades).
For the record I suffered severe depression during A-levels so I could’ve done better, but I’ll appreciate any help :smile:
Thanks in advance
As long as you can apply with a degree, I believe you may be eligible for the Nottingham prelim year from what you have said so that might be worth checking out (although places are very limited). Otherwise your options are very limited without A-level biology (as your degree precludes you from some of the gateway programmes but isn't biology related enough to be eligible for graduate entry).
Nottingham Prelim entry requirements for degree students is:

At least 2:1 in a non animal-, biology- or chemistry-related subject with supporting A level qualifications of BB (to include, at most, only one of biology and chemistry and excluding citizenship studies, critical thinking, general studies and global perspectives) and GCSE Grade B (6) in English language and maths.

Remember though graduate entry costs are large with no tuition fee loan from the government. If you dropped out now though, I don't think your grades as they are will be strong enough for their Prelim course as they ask for AAB for non-graduates
Original post by dartagnankillian
So basically I’m at uni but have realised I really want to do another subject. I did Physics, Maths and Chem at A-level getting BBC. With those grades I could’ve gotten into some gateway programs (as I went to a bad school, was in care, low income etc.) but I don’t have biology? So what can I do? It isn’t really feasible right now to go back and get that A-level (due to Home life), so is there anywhere that doesn’t require it? Or should I finish my current degree in engineering and then apply (as a 2:1/1st could help make up for my grades).
For the record I suffered severe depression during A-levels so I could’ve done better, but I’ll appreciate any help :smile:
Thanks in advance

Take a look at Bristol's Gateway to Vet Sci course http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2019/vet-science/bvsc-gateway-to-veterinary-science/
If you're not sure, send them an email.

Quick Reply