The Student Room Group

Do i have a mental problem ?

For as long as i have known ive always been a day dreamer . I try to concentrate but never seem to be able to, i'll try listening to my teacher , reading blocks of text over and over again . I'll try do my homwork n either have my mind elsewhere or have 12 tabs open on the internet. Im doing my alevels atm and genuinely enjoy my subjects but this inability to focus,day dreaming loads of thoughts is massively impacting not only my social life but most worringly my studies. I went to the GP and he jus brushed it off claming it was stress and if i were to have ADHD OR ADD which i think do it would have been picked up on ages ago. I looked into this and research infact shows that females often are unattentive so although may not be as we typically imagine causing disruption,still have it. Sorry back to the point. Wht do i do my GP does not believe and im in my final year of alevel and idk what to do anymore. Any advise pls ?? What do i do ??
also ty if u have red this far :smile:
My first thought was ADHD. What kind of help are you looking to get? Practical help like medicaton? Or like emotional help, so ways to train your mind to focus?
Reply 2
Idk i feel like its gotten to a point where i feel like medication is the most ideal option atm im not an emotional wreck i jus dont kno what to do bout the gp maybe book another appointment with someone new?? What do u think?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by RhiaHargx
My first thought was ADHD. What kind of help are you looking to get? Practical help like medicaton? Or like emotional help, so ways to train your mind to focus?

Idk i feel like its gotten to a point where i feel like medication is the most ideal option atm im not an emotional wreck i jus dont kno what to do bout the gp maybe book another appointment with someone new?? What do u think?
Original post by Snnaapp123
maybe book another appointment with someone new?? What do u think?

Definitely do that, let me know how it goes x
Reply 5
The problem is most people with mental issues (apart from the fact they’re mostly non existent and are due to poor care and bad lifestyle choices not actual mental disabilities) is that people go for standardised treatments. Do what works for you, speak to a professional but just don’t do what’s recommend, do what you think is gonna empower you. Whatever mental problems you’re facing can be used in a unique way to make you great, don’t take the medicine unless you’ve tried everything else.

Meditate and practice mindfulness. Cut out the technology. The lack of being present and getting instant kicks from technology is why ADHD cases have sky rocketed over the last decade or 2, learn to rework your mind. When there’s a water leak do you keep wiping the spillage over and over or fix the pipe and wipe the spillage once, most people just keep wiping the spillage when it comes to mental health.
Reply 6
Original post by RhiaHargx
Definitely do that, let me know how it goes x

Thanks for replying will do x
Reply 7
Original post by 3121
The problem is most people with mental issues (apart from the fact they’re mostly non existent and are due to poor care and bad lifestyle choices not actual mental disabilities) is that people go for standardised treatments. Do what works for you, speak to a professional but just don’t do what’s recommend, do what you think is gonna empower you. Whatever mental problems you’re facing can be used in a unique way to make you great, don’t take the medicine unless you’ve tried everything else.

Meditate and practice mindfulness. Cut out the technology. The lack of being present and getting instant kicks from technology is why ADHD cases have sky rocketed over the last decade or 2, learn to rework your mind. When there’s a water leak do you keep wiping the spillage over and over or fix the pipe and wipe the spillage once, most people just keep wiping the spillage when it comes to mental health.

Whoa, i have tried meditating, cutting technology ,pushing myself to stay more focus,focusing my energy on sports for a fair few months now and tbh doin minfulness does make me feel good but does not stop me from loosing focus and day dreaming i acc rmbr during my gcses God knows where my mind wondered cuz when i was back in the zone i had just under 20 mins to do the 30 or 40 marker in eng lit . I just feel like since this is my final year doing alevels and i have tried so many things that medication for now is the best option for me. Thanks for the advise thou.

Quick Reply

Latest