What are your career/life ambitions?

Watch this thread
Mandem67
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, I feel that my friend group is not very repsentative of the wider population of students, coming from quite a privileged background so I’d appreciate it if you could answer the following questions. Obviously if there’s anything else that you’d like to discuss, feel free. The more detail the better. Thanks!

1) Do you have a clear idea of what you want to do as a career? If so, what?
2) How ambitious are you in terms of career progression? Are you hoping to just have a stable career with a good work/life balance or are you looking to work hard and progress to a high pressure, high responsibility role in the future?
3) Out of the following, please rank in order of importance:
- Career success
- Marriage and/or starting a family
- Friends and relatives
- Building wealth
- Making a contribution to society
- Pursuing outside interests/ hobbies
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Mandem67)
Hi, I feel that my friend group is not very repsentative of the wider population of students, coming from quite a privileged background so I’d appreciate it if you could answer the following questions. Obviously if there’s anything else that you’d like to discuss, feel free. The more detail the better. Thanks!

2) How ambitious are you in terms of career progression? Are you hoping to just have a stable career with a good work/life balance or are you looking to work hard and progress to a high pressure, high responsibility role in the future?
a- Career success
b- Marriage and/or starting a family
c- Friends and relatives
d- Building wealth
e- Making a contribution to society
f- Pursuing outside interests/ hobbies
Moved to the careers forum :yy:

1 - no
2 - the stable career one but would ideally like a reasonable salary for the hard work I've put in for these past few years
3 - this is hard
In your OP I labelled them a - f

1 = most important to me and 6 = least
1 - b
2 - a
3 - f
4 - e
5 - c
6 - d

I think :beard:

interesting though
RenéDescartes
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
1) Academic
2) Very. The latter.
3) - Career success

- Building wealth
- Friends and relatives
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Academic.
Not too fussed at the moment. I am enjoying my work.

Pursuing interests (this is pretty much equivalent with career success for me given that I do my main interests for work)
Friends etc
Making contribution
Starting family
Wealth
ibyghee
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
1) A career in Physics
2) Tbh, I'm really optimistic, but pragmatic at the same time. I want to achieve high goals but i know i better get my ass workin' . So i want to get to the highest point possible, "never settle" as one plus says. I want to go as far as I can possibly go and not stop in my comfort zone.
3)Making a contribution to society
Career success
Marriage and/or starting a family
Building wealth
Friends and relatives
Pursuing outside interests/ hobbies ( my interest and hobby will be my job so..hmm.. )
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
1. Yes

2. Idk

3. Umm this is really difficult :/ probably Career success, contribution to society, interest/hobbies, wealth, friends/relative then marriage/family.
AnharM
Rep:
Report 3 years ago

Short term-medium term: Become a qualified Actuary and work as an Actuary for 10-15 years.
Very long term: Become a professional football coach.

Very ambitious. Work hard and progress to a high pressure, high responsibility role in the future for sure. I definitely do want a good work/life balance, but the reality is that I don't ever want to spend 8 hours of my day doing something boring and something I am not interested in. When I find something I am interested in, I will work to my fullest potential. I already know what I am interested in, football management. It's getting there, that will be extremely difficult.

3) From 1: most important to 6: least,

Out of the following, please rank in order of importance:
- Career success: 2
- Marriage and/or starting a family: 4
- Friends and relatives: 3
- Building wealth: 5
- Making a contribution to society: 6
- Pursuing outside interests/ hobbies: 1 (if football is seen as my interest/hobby, then I have a long term plan to get into football management, that is my goal. That is my dream).
Andrew97
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
World domination. Sounds fun.
username738914
Rep:
Report 3 years ago

Yah. high finance, strategy or product initially. end goal is to manage money and/or entrepreneurship, coordinate big philanthropic projects and maybe dabble in some hobbyist research. might gun for a top MBA.

been ambitious all my life, not going to change. still remember applying and getting into top tier US/UK/International boarding schools (but couldn't go because fees). stable career with good work/life balance sounds eye wrenchingly boring. aim for the stars, land on the moon.

- Career success
- Building wealth
- Friends and relatives

all of the above.. ranking will obviously skew towards career/capital initially but no one is ever successful without a good support network and outside interests.
Mandem67
Rep:
Thanks everyone for your responses!
Mandem67
Rep:
(Original post by AnharM)

Short term-medium term: Become a qualified Actuary and work as an Actuary for 10-15 years.
Very long term: Become a professional football coach.

Very ambitious. Work hard and progress to a high pressure, high responsibility role in the future for sure. I definitely do want a good work/life balance, but the reality is that I don't ever want to spend 8 hours of my day doing something boring and something I am not interested in. When I find something I am interested in, I will work to my fullest potential. I already know what I am interested in, football management. It's getting there, that will be extremely difficult.

3) From 1: most important to 6: least,

Out of the following, please rank in order of importance:
- Career success: 2
- Marriage and/or starting a family: 4
- Friends and relatives: 3
- Building wealth: 5
- Making a contribution to society: 6
- Pursuing outside interests/ hobbies: 1 (if football is seen as my interest/hobby, then I have a long term plan to get into football management, that is my goal. That is my dream).
That is interesting, the careers are so different from each other. I wish you the best, hopefully you’ll be successful in both those careers. But why not just aim for football coaching from the start?
Mandem67
Rep:
(Original post by Princepieman)

Yah. high finance, strategy or product initially. end goal is to manage money and/or entrepreneurship, coordinate big philanthropic projects and maybe dabble in some hobbyist research. might gun for a top MBA.

been ambitious all my life, not going to change. still remember applying and getting into top tier US/UK/International boarding schools (but couldn't go because fees). stable career with good work/life balance sounds eye wrenchingly boring. aim for the stars, land on the moon.

- Career success
- Building wealth
- Friends and relatives

all of the above.. ranking will obviously skew towards career/capital initially but no one is ever successful without a good support network and outside interests.
I agree, working a stable boring career with average hours just seems boring to me. I’d ideally want to pursue a similar sort of career path. I love tech but I wouldn’t be a great fit for the coding/technical side of things. I’m more interested in the business side of things, like maybe doing equity research on tech firms or venture capital. Not quite sure yet but it’s such an interesting industry.
PossiblyNotGod
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
1) Yes
2) Neither, I'd like a job that's intellectually stimulating for the right reasons, if it's a difficult job, fair enough. Stability would be the next plus.
3)
- Career success (somewhat linked to making a contribution to society)
- Friends and relatives
- Building wealth
AnharM
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Mandem67)

That is interesting, the careers are so different from each other. I wish you the best, hopefully you’ll be successful in both those careers. But why not just aim for football coaching from the start?
If you take a look into football coaching, 'young' managers are actually 40 years old. Even youth managers aren't young.
There's absolutely no jobs around for young football managers. I can only manage my local football teams, and that's more like a hobby, I don't expect to make any money off that. I want to be able to just have some control over the club I manage.

I think if family and kids weren't important in a South Asian household, I could easily just fixate on doing my best to become a football manager and live on minimum wage as I gain the experience, but I don't have that luxury. I want to be able to have enough money so I can give everything I can to my kids. I won't be able to give them that luxury. And when they're older, I can then take a pay cut and pursue the career more seriously.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (8)
19.51%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
7.32%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
9.76%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (5)
12.2%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (10)
24.39%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
26.83%

Watched Threads