The Student Room Group

Should I do A Level Music?

Hey guys!
Just some background info:
- I'm currently doing GCSE Music and I am predicted an 8/9
- The sixth form I want to go to does Edexcel for Music
- I just did my grade 8 piano this spring
I am considering doing Music for A Level, so if anyone is doing it: how is it like? Is it worth taking? How hard is it compared to GCSE? What is the workload like? Is it possible to get an A/A* (providing you actually try)?
I'm sorry for asking so many questions, it's just that there is barely any information about Music A Level compared to e.g. Maths.
If you do/ have done A level Music, please answer if you can, thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by danaaltajer
Hey guys!
I am considering doing Music for A Level, so if anyone is doing it: how is it like? Is it worth taking? How hard is it compared to GCSE? What is the workload like? Is it possible to get an A/A* (providing you actually try)?
I'm sorry for asking so many questions, it's just that there is barely any information about Music A Level compared to e.g. Maths.

Have you looked at the spec?

You should consider what career you want and what course you wish to do? If you can work one of those questions out then you can start to see whether A level music helps you or not. Your A levels should help you bridge the gap to uni. It could help and it might not. You certainly seem excited by it.

The spec plus you can look at exam papers.
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/music-2016.html
Original post by 999tigger
Have you looked at the spec?

You should consider what career you want and what course you wish to do? If you can work one of those questions out then you can start to see whether A level music helps you or not. Your A levels should help you bridge the gap to uni. It could help and it might not. You certainly seem excited by it.

The spec plus you can look at exam papers.
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/music-2016.html

Lol I'm not excited to do A levels, but I'll do that, thanks!
Reply 3
Hey guys!

Hi I did btec music for GCSE in 2018, and I came out with a Distinction star which is equivalent to a 9. I had no choice to pick either gcse or btec my teacher picked btec for the whole class. I have just started music A level with Edexcel, and I am on Grade 6 piano currently. Music A level is quite hard not going to lie. You have to know 18 setworks, and we have just done 2. It is hard but it is something I want to do as a future career and to look into music therapy, I am hoping and going to work really hard to get myself an A. It is up to you to take this subject, I would recommend to read the spec before you take the subject. I wish you all the best !
Reply 4
Original post by mkc1357
Hi I did btec music for GCSE in 2018, and I came out with a Distinction star which is equivalent to a 9. I had no choice to pick either gcse or btec my teacher picked btec for the whole class. I have just started music A level with Edexcel, and I am on Grade 6 piano currently. Music A level is quite hard not going to lie. You have to know 18 setworks, and we have just done 2. It is hard but it is something I want to do as a future career and to look into music therapy, I am hoping and going to work really hard to get myself an A. It is up to you to take this subject, I would recommend to read the spec before you take the subject. I wish you all the best !

It is harder than my other a levels I have taken - Psychology and business. But if you are known to get a good grade in music GCSE im sure you will be fine at a level
No
I did edexcel music alevel & now study music at uni. Alevel music is difficult-it's a lot more about harmony & counterpoint and the work load is quite substantial I have to say.
Hey guys!

Hey:smile: I do Music A-level and it is very enjoyable. I also do Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry. If you have already done Grade 8 then I would heavilyyyy suggest you do it because it will be fairly easy for you! I've got my Grade 8 piano next month and because I have been playing piano since I was like 4, Music Alevel has been a bit of a breeze for me and I'm more doing it for fun - like I don't actually need it. It is a lot harder than GCSE and requires quite a bit of time but out of all my subjects, it has required the least time if that makes sense? It's definetly possibile to get an A/A* as long as you put the work in:smile: What other subjects are you thinking?
Original post by Melissa_P-J
Hey:smile: I do Music A-level and it is very enjoyable. I also do Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry. If you have already done Grade 8 then I would heavilyyyy suggest you do it because it will be fairly easy for you! I've got my Grade 8 piano next month and because I have been playing piano since I was like 4, Music Alevel has been a bit of a breeze for me and I'm more doing it for fun - like I don't actually need it. It is a lot harder than GCSE and requires quite a bit of time but out of all my subjects, it has required the least time if that makes sense? It's definetly possibile to get an A/A* as long as you put the work in:smile: What other subjects are you thinking?

Further Maths and Chemistry are so apparently hard omg, good luck with them!
I'm thinking of doing maths, history, and economics as well (for A level), but I enjoy music the most out of my GCSEs tbh, except for the exam
Further Maths and Chemistry are so apparently hard omg, good luck with them!
I'm thinking of doing maths, history, and economics as well (for A level), but I enjoy music the most out of my GCSEs tbh, except for the exam

Thankssss, and yeah they are tough!
Yours sound like a good mixture, are you thinking of doing 4? You can always try Music and if it gets too much or you don't like it, you can drop it
Original post by Melissa_P-J
Thankssss, and yeah they are tough!
Yours sound like a good mixture, are you thinking of doing 4? You can always try Music and if it gets too much or you don't like it, you can drop it

Yeah I'm most likely going to drop one if it gets too much
Original post by mkc1357

Thank you! Yeah I'll read the spec when I get the chance
Original post by super_hannah
I did edexcel music alevel & now study music at uni. Alevel music is difficult-it's a lot more about harmony & counterpoint and the work load is quite substantial I have to say.

Ah ok- how did you do at A level? Good luck with your degree btw!
Do a proper subject like physics or maths or something academic even London met won't accept music a level
Original post by seanladd12
Do a proper subject like physics or maths or something academic even London met won't accept music a level

bro I've had a look at the music anthology and textbook and it seems 'academic'. I'm doing maths too, and I hate physics so I'm not going to torture myself by doing science A levels no thanks
bro I've had a look at the music anthology and textbook and it seems 'academic'. I'm doing maths too, and I hate physics so I'm not going to torture myself by doing science A levels no thanks

I was only joking bro. As long as you do one or two traditional subjects most unis bar Oxbridge will accept you. O say bar Oxbridge as most people who get in have 4 hard a levels at all a*
My son did music A level this year, and my daughter is currently doing it. If you are grade 8 you will be fine. Both my children love A level music. It is academic. There are forty ish set works for edexcel I believe - you can get the playlist from Spotify to see if you like the pieces. There is a good range of music.
Yeah I did well, obviously got in to uni to do music so! Thank you very much, good luck with your alevels :smile:
Ah ok- how did you do at A level? Good luck with your degree btw!
Original post by seanladd12
I was only joking bro. As long as you do one or two traditional subjects most unis bar Oxbridge will accept you. O say bar Oxbridge as most people who get in have 4 hard a levels at all a*

What rubbish! A level music is perfectly acceptable to Oxbridge. Further more 'most people do not have four A levels - they have three.

Hey guys!

A level music is hard, but very rewarding. Go for it if you're a committed musician.
Hi,
I am literally in the exact same situation as you!! I have grade 8 bassoon, singing and grade 7 on cello and french horn.
My mum is a music teacher so I have had lots of help during the GCSE course, I'm predicted a 9 whether it will happen who knows! however, it is currently my easiest subject.
I really enjoy the course except composition is a. bot boring but definitely bearable!
I am hoping to go to a good uni, and many saying that music is a kind of doss subject, which is putting me off a bit, however, I really like the style of exams, I'm dyslexic so coursework is good for me rather than longer exams.

Do all unis accept music if I was to do a totally different course eg- psychology?!

Quick Reply

Latest