Did I mess up my personal statement? Watch

jmrami
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am trying to apply for Linguistics & Spanish courses. In my personal statement I mentioned multiple different types of Spanish media I enjoyed: podcasts, books, short stories, movies, and poetry. I explained each specific media with what its contents were about. Was that a bad approach? I already turned in my UCAS app
username3731912
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm no expert on personal statements, let alone those based on languages, but I don't think it seems to be a bad approach. You discussed areas you're interested in, why would that be bad?
jmrami
Rep:
?
(Original post by anonymous1231231)
I'm no expert on personal statements, let alone those based on languages, but I don't think it seems to be a bad approach. You discussed areas you're interested in, why would that be bad?
I thought the commentary on the media you presented had to be more about your perspectives and arguments on them, but I did more of a summary on each item.
username3731912
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jmrami)
I thought the commentary on the media you presented had to be more about your perspectives and arguments on them, but I did more of a summary on each item.
...So you literally just described everything? Did you not say things like this interested me because...?
xEmilyxx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The personal statement is used to give a summary and a taster of some of your current ideas on things, and in your case, this should be the ideas and personal views on the things you've read or watched or listened to. As you've just summed up what you've looked at it certainly will make your personal statement weaker than what it could be, but by no means is it the end of the world.
jmrami
Rep:
?
(Original post by xEmilyxx)
The personal statement is used to give a summary and a taster of some of your current ideas on things, and in your case, this should be the ideas and personal views on the things you've read or watched or listened to. As you've just summed up what you've looked at it certainly will make your personal statement weaker than what it could be, but by no means is it the end of the world.
I'm sorry if I'm freaking out so much, I'm just an American that applied to Oxford so I don't know if I can afford a weaker personal statement
xEmilyxx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm sorry if I'm freaking out so much, I'm just an American that applied to Oxford so I don't know if I can afford a weaker personal statement
It may be an issue then but there's no reason to worry when its out of your hand. Wait until offers get sent back. You can always reapply next year.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Personal statement is a relatively low priority for Oxford, I hear. Besides, if one aspect of your application is weak it's usually not a problem. Actual academic performance will be a much bigger factor.
jmrami
Rep:
?
(Original post by anonymous1231231)
...So you literally just described everything? Did you not say things like this interested me because...?
I did but not in depth
jmrami
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Personal statement is a relatively low priority for Oxford, I hear. Besides, if one aspect of your application is weak it's usually not a problem. Actual academic performance will be a much bigger factor.
That's relieving to hear. Thank you. I guess I'll just focus on the MLAT coming up and IB scores
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That's relieving to hear. Thank you. I guess I'll just focus on the MLAT coming up and IB scores
Yep, they are much more important particularly for an international applicant unfamiliar with the UCAS process.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties - Undergraduate and Postgraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Keele University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (53)
21.03%
Unconditional if firmed (20)
7.94%
Unconditional if insurance (2)
0.79%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (6)
2.38%
No unconditional offers (171)
67.86%

Watched Threads