Quitting my Law Training Contract during my First Seat - Help! Watch

AndrewMarkSP
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Have things not improved at all for you?
(Original post by Solicon)
I'm in a corporate-focused seat now. I would definitely say my mental health has deteriorated a lot.
Amatron
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Sorry to hear that your next seat has not improved? I don’t know about you but I can’t help but worry law is the wrong choice quite often.
Saying that, a lot of people don’t like their jobs.
I'm in a corporate-focused seat now. I would definitely say my mental health has deteriorated a lot.
Solicon
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Things are BETTER - people are nicer but the hours are horrendous which is a shame because I find it semi-interesting.
(Original post by AndrewMarkSP)
Have things not improved at all for you?
Solicon
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Update: the hours are horrendous. Making me think I should definitely quit or assign to a small firm.
(Original post by Amatron)
Sorry to hear that your next seat has not improved? I don’t know about you but I can’t help but worry law is the wrong choice quite often.
Saying that, a lot of people don’t like their jobs.
AndrewMarkSP
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Update: the hours are horrendous. Making me think I should definitely quit or assign to a small firm.
What are they typical hours that they have you working? Do you have a supervisor or mentor that you'd be able to speak to. At the end of the day, if this wasn't what was communicated prior to you starting then maybe you should confront them about it...
J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
What are they typical hours that they have you working? Do you have a supervisor or mentor that you'd be able to speak to. At the end of the day, if this wasn't what was communicated prior to you starting then maybe you should confront them about it...
I’m not sure confronting them is a good idea.

Commercial law firms are known to have crazy and unpredictable hours. It’s not a good thing (it’s one of the reasons I chose to leave) but there is an expectation that candidates know what they are letting themselves in for in regards to potential hours and late night/over nighters.

When to raise it is if you are the only one or only one of a few people who is constantly in the office at all hours. But even then you have to carefully analyse whether that is down to your working style (do you procrastinate a lot) or is it down to poor workflow from higher up the food chain.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
AndrewMarkSP
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by J-SP)
I’m not sure confronting them is a good idea.

Commercial law firms are known to have crazy and unpredictable hours. It’s not a good thing (it’s one of the reasons I chose to leave) but there is an expectation that candidates know what they are letting themselves in for in regards to potential hours and late night/over nighters.

When to raise it is if you are the only one or only one of a few people who is constantly in the office at all hours. But even then you have to carefully analyse whether that is down to your working style (do you procrastinate a lot) or is it down to poor workflow from higher up the food chain.
Confronting wasn't a good word! Flagging would be more appropriate, I guess! I've heard from some trainees at Addleshaw Goddard that when they're staying much later than expected, nobody keeps track of it. So they feel too awkward trying to take time back (which the company says they encourage) and end up doing crazy hours.

Or like you said, it could be something else (procrastination) that could be addressed.
J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Confronting wasn't a good word! Flagging would be more appropriate, I guess! I've heard from some trainees at Addleshaw Goddard that when they're staying much later than expected, nobody keeps track of it. So they feel too awkward trying to take time back (which the company says they encourage) and end up doing crazy hours.

Or like you said, it could be something else (procrastination) that could be addressed.
Undoubtedly it is being tracked unless you are not recording hours (which most firms do).

People have to take a view as to what’s going around them, not necessarily what’s going on with them. If everyone is doing crazy hours, then it’s just busy and generally you just have to suck it up. If other people are working late but then coming in late or leaving early at another time, then trainees need to have the balls to go to their line manager and say they’d like to do the same. Stating it is “awkward” is part of the problem - if people don’t know what you are feeling, then how are they supposed to react to it. Where there are issues are when you are the only one working late or one of a select few constantly requested to stay back in the office or check emails post whatever time. If that’s regularly occurring and you know other people could reasonably be doing it, then it’s time to flag up to line managers or HR.

With any of these discussions though, don’t come in talking about the problem. Focus your conversation on the suitable solution you have already considered, rather than you asking the other person to find a solution for you.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
AndrewMarkSP
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by J-SP)
Undoubtedly it is being tracked unless you are not recording hours (which most firms do).

People have to take a view as to what’s going around them, not necessarily what’s going on with them. If everyone is doing crazy hours, then it’s just busy and generally you just have to suck it up. If other people are working late but then coming in late or leaving early at another time, then trainees need to have the balls to go to their line manager and say they’d like to do the same. Stating it is “awkward” is part of the problem - if people don’t know what you are feeling, then how are they supposed to react to it. Where there are issues are when you are the only one working late or one of a select few constantly requested to stay back in the office or check emails post whatever time. If that’s regularly occurring and you know other people could reasonably be doing it, then it’s time to flag up to line managers or HR.

With any of these discussions though, don’t come in talking about the problem. Focus your conversation on the suitable solution you have already considered, rather than you asking the other person to find a solution for you.
I completely agree with all of this. That's what I was trying (not very well) to say.
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
That's a shame.

Corporate tends to be an "up and down" department - i.e. there will be times when you have to work late, and times when things are quieter.

How late are you working on average, would you say?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (164)
18.45%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (90)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.65%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (129)
14.51%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.56%
How can I be the best version of myself? (273)
30.71%

Watched Threads