This discussion is closed.
Jin3011
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Ok, so thought I'd be super keen and get the first ever Sheffield GEM thread rolling! So excited that this course exists! XD

Here's hoping that Julian graces us with his presence too ShefMedAdmission
Advertisement
ShefMedAdmission
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello all

And just like that, here I am! (I do not know how long this account will last - the University is sorting out its TSR access, I hope, so if I go silent that is why)

Right - I am going back to looking at applications!

Best wishes

Julian
Director of Undergraduate Applications.
ben444
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jin3011)
Ok, so thought I'd be super keen and get the first ever Sheffield GEM thread rolling! So excited that this course exists! XD

Thank you! This is great, looking forward to meeting all the applicants
Advertisement
ShefMedAdmission
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello all!

And we're off!

We have received your applications. Almost all applicants will now have received an acknowledgement email from me. (If you have not, this does not necessarily mean that we have not received your application. Our system will not let me send emails to you if you have either declared a criminal conviction, have not declared that you do not have a criminal conviction, or if you are <17 years old. You do not need to take any action regarding this).

For A101 applicants, my acknowledgement email will have included our Widening Participation form. If you have already sent a completed copy of this form in to the medical school, you do not need to do so again - my team will append it to your application in due course. For some A101 applicants we will be in touch to find out more information about your degree (to see if it has sufficient anatomy and physiology).

What happens now? Myself and the team will now be scrutinising the applications to see whether they meet our minimum academic entry criteria or not. This process will take us 2-3 weeks. We then receive your UKCAT scores from the UKCAT consortium. For applicants who meet the minimum academic entry criteria we then look to see whether they meet our minimum UKCAT requirement or not. UKCAT ranking then takes place if needed. I do not know yet whether we will need to rank A101 applicants. If it is needed, when this has been done we will post the cut point from ranking on our webpages. We then invite those who have made it to the interview stage to interview. Those not invited (either because they did not meet the academic and/or UKCAT requirements or because they did not survive the ranking process) will hear from us later.

We are currently on schedule and I expect that we will keep to the schedule set out on our admissions webpages.

Best wishes and good luck

Julian
Director of Undergraduate Medical Admissions
ben444
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ShefMedAdmission)
Hello all!

And we're off!

We have received your applications. Almost all applicants will now have received an acknowledgement email from me. (If you have not, this does not necessarily mean that we have not received your application. Our system will not let me send emails to you if you have either declared a criminal conviction, have not declared that you do not have a criminal conviction, or if you are <17 years old. You do not need to take any action regarding this).

For A101 applicants, my acknowledgement email will have included our Widening Participation form. If you have already sent a completed copy of this form in to the medical school, you do not need to do so again - my team will append it to your application in due course. For some A101 applicants we will be in touch to find out more information about your degree (to see if it has sufficient anatomy and physiology).

What happens now? Myself and the team will now be scrutinising the applications to see whether they meet our minimum academic entry criteria or not. This process will take us 2-3 weeks. We then receive your UKCAT scores from the UKCAT consortium. For applicants who meet the minimum academic entry criteria we then look to see whether they meet our minimum UKCAT requirement or not. UKCAT ranking then takes place if needed. I do not know yet whether we will need to rank A101 applicants. If it is needed, when this has been done we will post the cut point from ranking on our webpages. We then invite those who have made it to the interview stage to interview. Those not invited (either because they did not meet the academic and/or UKCAT requirements or because they did not survive the ranking process) will hear from us later.

We are currently on schedule and I expect that we will keep to the schedule set out on our admissions webpages.

Julian
Hi
I meet 3 of the WP criteria and sent off the WP form around 2 weeks ago however, I received no acknowledgement that it was received from the university. Should I complete the one attached in the email that acknowledged you received my UCAS application?

Thanks!
Advertisement
ShefMedAdmission
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello Ben

As stated above, no. If you have sent it in already you need do nothing.

The team has only started dealing with these today.

Best wishes

Julian
BoilingMarmalade
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

I'm excited too. I love Sheffield and I loved the uni as an undergrad. If I remember correctly, Sheffield has the highest retention rate for people who originally just came here to study. I was excited about applying for GEM this year, but disappointed that it would mean leaving Sheffield. When I found out Sheffield were starting a GEM course the year I decided to apply (and that it was specifically aimed at people from backgrounds like mine) I thought "IT'S A SIGN!!!!". But then I realised I didn't meet the A level requirements. Then my hope was restored as our friend Julian confirmed they would accept one lot of resits. Then I discovered it costs over £1000 to sit a science A level as an external candidate (because of the practicals) and that resits would wipe out what I'd saved for tuition. Then I realised Sheffield only require biology OR chemistry, so I thought I could probably just about afford to do one science A level and then two others that are assessed purely on written exams.

Perhaps I am clutching at straws a little bit here, but I'm going to do everything I can!
Advertisement
Jin3011
Rep:
?
(Original post by BoilingMarmalade)
I'm excited too. I love Sheffield and I loved the uni as an undergrad. If I remember correctly, Sheffield has the highest retention rate for people who originally just came here to study. I was excited about applying for GEM this year, but disappointed that it would mean leaving Sheffield. When I found out Sheffield were starting a GEM course the year I decided to apply (and that it was specifically aimed at people from backgrounds like mine) I thought "IT'S A SIGN!!!!". But then I realised I didn't meet the A level requirements. Then my hope was restored as our friend Julian confirmed they would accept one lot of resits. Then I discovered it costs over £1000 to sit a science A level as an external candidate (because of the practicals) and that resits would wipe out what I'd saved for tuition. Then I realised Sheffield only require biology OR chemistry, so I thought I could probably just about afford to do one science A level and then two others that are assessed purely on written exams.

Perhaps I am clutching at straws a little bit here, but I'm going to do everything I can!
Yeah same here. I work in South Yorkshire atm and have a lot of commitments here. Also attend Sheffield Uni's choir as an external member every so often lol. So when I heard about the gem programme I nearly jumped out of my bed! So glad they have this opportunity for us folk! Sheffiled was also my dream uni when I applied back in 2010 but my UKCAT wasn't competitive enough!

I really hope you do well on those resits bud, and I truly admire your determination!
Jin3011
Rep:
?
(Original post by ShefMedAdmission)
Hello all!

And we're off!

Julian
Brilliant news, Julian! Thank you for keeping us in the loop!
Advertisement
Jsheridan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yay Sheffield
Jsheridan
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
SheffMedAdmissions are the interview dates the same as listed for the A100 course?
Advertisement
Jin3011
Rep:
?
What degree subject did y'all study?

Mine's MPharm
BoilingMarmalade
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did BSc biomedical science.

Sheffield are definitely winning the prize for efficiency right now. I've had an acknowledgement e-mail with a reminder to complete the WP questionnaire and today a further e-mail to request predicted grades for the A levels I'm doing this year (obviously as I'm studying independently and my referee is from work, he wasn't able to give predicted grades as part of my reference).

Right - back to the biology!
Advertisement
ben444
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What degree subject did y'all study?

Mine's MPharm
I’m doing BSc Biomedical Science, predicted a 1st. How did you do in your degree?
ShefMedAdmission
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello all

The MMI dates are the same for A100 and A101.

Best wishes

Julian
Director of Undergraduate Medical Admissions.
Jin3011
Rep:
?
(Original post by ben444)
I’m doing BSc Biomedical Science, predicted a 1st. How did you do in your degree?
Sweet! I have a 1st already achieved! Slighly takes the pressure off things!
BoilingMarmalade
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
2.1 for me!
Advertisement
Jsheridan
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did Medical Science BSc at UCL and then Msc in Immunology at Oxford
Jin3011
Rep:
?
ShefMedAdmission

Hi Julian,

Had a few questions about the course I was hoping you could help with

1) Do you have further information about the structure of the 4-year GEM course? You mentioned that it essentially bypassses the 1st year which is a reason why graduate applicants are expected to have convered anatomy and physiology to a suffient level. Will the breadth of anatomy and physiology -that is usually covered in year 1 of a 5-year programme - still be taught to GEM students to the same level?
2) Will GEM students go straight into phase 2 with the 5-year undergrads?
3) Will the research project in phase 2a still be expected of the GEM cohort given that these skills would have been gained through our undergraduate degrees?

Was hoping you could provide as much information as possible.

Thank you!
ShefMedAdmission
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello

Good questions.

1. No - the same level of anatomy and physiology will not be taught (it is taught in Phase 1, which A101 bypasses).

2 + 3. Students in A100 start Phase 2 with a 6-week research project. A101 students will bypass that (as you note, they will have this experience from their first degree) and instead have an introductory refresher module. This will recap some of the key material from Phase 1, but it is not possible to teach 1 year of content in 6 weeks. This is why having sufficient anatomy and physiology from the first degree is important.

Best wishes

Julian
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (82)
68.33%
No I haven't decided yet (22)
18.33%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
13.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed