The Student Room Group

Differences between ICAS, ACCA & CIPFA?

I've been applying for a Graduate Auditor position and they ask which professional qualification you want to achieve. They have positions within both their commercial and public sector teams.

I know there's a bit of stuff on here and on the internet discussing this but they never really delve any deeper than just "you get different letters after your name" & "ICAS is older and more prestigious a qualification".

For me, I never really made any distinction between ICAS and ACCA, apart from the fact that you need to be sponsored to undertake ICAS, and I never really considered CIPFA.

So apart from the obvious replies ..... Has anyone had to make this decision?
What are the pros and cons between each qualification?
What aspects of the qualification, and potential job benefits, swung it one way or the other for you?

Thanks, in advance, for the replies.
Reply 1
Looks like I jumped the gun a bit saying thanks for the replys!!
Reply 2
Original post by ArnoldK
Looks like I jumped the gun a bit saying thanks for the replys!!

ACA is the most well respected - but you can still do great things with the other qualifications. Stay away from CIPFA.
Reply 3
Original post by ArnoldK
I've been applying for a Graduate Auditor position and they ask which professional qualification you want to achieve. They have positions within both their commercial and public sector teams.

I know there's a bit of stuff on here and on the internet discussing this but they never really delve any deeper than just "you get different letters after your name" & "ICAS is older and more prestigious a qualification".

For me, I never really made any distinction between ICAS and ACCA, apart from the fact that you need to be sponsored to undertake ICAS, and I never really considered CIPFA.

So apart from the obvious replies ..... Has anyone had to make this decision?
What are the pros and cons between each qualification?
What aspects of the qualification, and potential job benefits, swung it one way or the other for you?

Thanks, in advance, for the replies.

I'd avoid CIPFA unless you are in a public sector job and know you want to stay in the public sector. Its very limiting otherwise. If a company offered a choice within Id do ICAS from your list - but you do need to stick with the company for three years for the professional experience.
Reply 4
Thanks for the insight. I went for ACCA, simply because it appeared to be more globally recognisable.

I'm hoping I get the interview and I have the chance to ask the interviewers what they have and which they feel is more suitable. I'm sure the only reason they would ask in an application form is to see what your drive and ambitions are in the future.
Reply 5
Bit of advertising for myself here! Comparing ACCA and ICAS is basically ranking two kettle of fish entirely - speaking from someone with several years experience. ICAS ranks higher than ACCA and is on a par with the ACA. You need firm sponsorship to sit ICAS, as you would the ACA, but you can fund yourself over an ACCA qualification which may suit your requirements. You can gain membership of the ACA or ICAS if you have been in post qualified experience with the ACCA for 5 years, and can demonstrate commercial awareness (someone correct me if I’m wrong; I think a written statement or conversion exam may be necessary). What entry level are you considering for ICAS? Its definitely the better of the two options you put forward - big employers like EY, KPMG, PWC as well as firms like GT and BDO make some employees compulsory sit ICAS depending on what department they’re in. Having gone through the ICAS qualification personally and qualified with them, I’ve then gone on to provide tuition to both ACA and ICAS students. I can tell you that the course material is basically the same over ACA and ICAS, but ICAS condense the material to 11 exams as compared to 15 for the ACA - so ICAS is a bit more intense. I’ve also tutored the CIPFA qualification; where you focus on public sector accounting, especially in your second and third year (where you’ll learn how central govt, local govt and the NHS prepare their accounts and how public financial policy and taxes are derived). If you want help with your studies feel free to PM me
I am a very experienced ACCA teacher and I teach extremely well. I can tutor you from the beginning of ACCA over skype and you will pay me after each class.

Feel free to contact me.

Skype me on Skype at: ACCA Skype Tutor
or Facebook me at: Last Discovery

Quick Reply

Latest