Kinyonga
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm a bit confused by these sentences in my AQA A-level biology course:

The area of the graph [showing how the rate of PS increases compared to the light intensity] that curves is known as the light compensation point. This is the point at which the amount of CO2 used in photosynthesis is equal to the amount of CO2 produced in respiration.

Could someone explain this, please? Thanks!
Kinyonga
Rep:
?
Reality Check
I request your supreme knowledge to aid me in this...
Jasmine528
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi,
What specifically are you confused about? As I understand it but I'm struggling to find a way to reword it.
Kinyonga
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jasmine528)
Hi,
What specifically are you confused about? As I understand it but I'm struggling to find a way to reword it.
It's this bit mainly: This is the point at which the amount of CO2 used in photosynthesis is equal to the amount of CO2 produced in respiration.
The amount of CO2 where? Produced by what, when?
Jasmine528
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The amount of CO2 produced by the plant in respiration is equal to the amount of CO2 being used by the plant in photosynthesis.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Kinyonga)
It's this bit mainly: This is the point at which the amount of CO2 used in photosynthesis is equal to the amount of CO2 produced in respiration.
The amount of CO2 where? Produced by what, when?
I am duly summoned

As you know, cellular respiration produces CO2 in animals - plants are no different. When the amount of CO2 being used in photosynthesis equals the amount being produced by the plant's respiration, this is called the light compensation point.

At this point, the net CO2 assimilation is zero. You can see from this that the compensation point is likely to occur at two points in the day...
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
I am duly summoned

As you know, cellular respiration produces CO2 in animals - plants are no different. When the amount of CO2 being used in photosynthesis equals the amount being produced by the plant's respiration, this is called the light compensation point.

At this point, the net CO2 assimilation is zero. You can see from this that the compensation point is likely to occur at two points in the day...
Interesting, thanks.
Kinyonga
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
I am duly summoned

Oh I see! I guess I was just looking too far for an explanation, as usual haha. Thanks
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Kinyonga)
Oh I see! I guess I was just looking too far for an explanation, as usual haha. Thanks
Not at all... I have learned from this. So... the net effect of the plant should be to absorb CO2 and release oxygen!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (123)
43.16%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (45)
15.79%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (112)
39.3%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
1.75%

Watched Threads