Personal Statement - can it be controversial

Watch this thread
Jasminlucia
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey,
I am applying for law and I was wondering if it is good to mention controversial things like Apartheid or modern cases from the #metoo movement. Would this be too provocative?
Thank you for your help,
Jasmin
999tigger
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jasminlucia)
Hey,
I am applying for law and I was wondering if it is good to mention controversial things like Apartheid or modern cases from the #metoo movement. Would this be too provocative?
Thank you for your help,
Jasmin
Focus on explaining what interests you about the subject and what motivates you to study it?
part of being a lawyer is that you will be required to be objective and recognise the issues by seeing both sides and weighing them up. I dont think either of your issues are controversial, they are just issues. Dont try and be controversial in your ps without thinking how it helps your application.

If you do 100 posts then someone from the ps review team will look at it for you.
Jasminlucia
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Focus on explaining what interests you about the subject and what motivates you to study it?
part of being a lawyer is that you will be required to be objective and recognise the issues by seeing both sides and weighing them up. I dont think either of your issues are controversial, they are just issues. Dont try and be controversial in your ps without thinking how it helps your application.

If you do 100 posts then someone from the ps review team will look at it for you.
Yes, thank you very much!
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Make sure you talk about the law aspect behind them if you do mention them - make it relevant to academic study
Estreth
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jasminlucia)
Hey,
Thank you for your help,
Jasmin
Neither of those suggestions is particularly controversial in itself. Certainly don't say self-consciously provocative things just for the sake of it, but if you're interested in some (even vaguely) legal aspect of those issues then explaining what you're interested in and why would be a good approach.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (230)
41.97%
The paper was reasonable (233)
42.52%
Not feeling great about that exam... (50)
9.12%
It was TERRIBLE (35)
6.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed