This discussion is closed.
cgugar
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I haven't seen anyone else make this thread for history and god knows if anyone will even comment on this but hiii
I have decided to make this thread for anyone who is applying to Cambridge in the year 2019/2020 deferred entry so we can all help and support each other.
So a bit about me. I do A levels in History (A) Sociology (A*) and Maths (A) and I have finally sent off my UCAS application today (15/10/18 - last day classy I know). At GCSE, I didn't get the typical "Oxbridge" grades that I have seen a lot of people on TSR get, I got 1A* (history), 6As, 3Bs and a C in German, as well as a D* in ECDL. I applied to Cambridge (Pembroke college), UCL, Royal Holloway, Leicester and Queen Marys for BA History.
My slight dilemma: For one I go to a state school, which ofc isn't bad but that means not a lot of people at my school apply to Oxbridge (only one person has ever gotten into Cambridge). Because of this I have not received as much support doing my application which has slightly worried me. Additionally, the history exam is in two weeks and my school has no idea in how to prepare me on it as they do not know what else to do, so I am kinda on my own as I'm not sure how to structure it. (If anyone has any tips or can PM me, please let me know because I am majorly stressing out). Also my GCSEs are worrying me. One of my teachers at school advised me not to apply because they are not Cambridge's typical GCSEs (ofc I went against him), but now I am worrying will that be a problem, as well as my A* prediction being in Sociology and not history. Lastly, if (when I do - positive attitude people!) I get as far as the interview, again my school will have no means of supporting me so I am kinda screwed.

So if anyone has any tips or faces similar problems to me let me know! or if you want to use this thread to just talk about history and Cambridge.

Good luck to all applicants and let me know on your predictions, what school you went to and how well you feel prepared
Scurrying Shrew
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cgugar)
I haven't seen anyone else make this thread for history and god knows if anyone will even comment on this but hiii
I have decided to make this thread for anyone who is applying to Cambridge in the year 2019/2020 deferred entry so we can all help and support each other.
So a bit about me. I do A levels in History (A) Sociology (A*) and Maths (A) and I have finally sent off my UCAS application today (15/10/18 - last day classy I know). At GCSE, I didn't get the typical "Oxbridge" grades that I have seen a lot of people on TSR get, I got 1A* (history), 6As, 3Bs and a C in German, as well as a D* in ECDL. I applied to Cambridge (Pembroke college), UCL, Royal Holloway, Leicester and Queen Marys for BA History.
My slight dilemma: For one I go to a state school, which ofc isn't bad but that means not a lot of people at my school apply to Oxbridge (only one person has ever gotten into Cambridge). Because of this I have not received as much support doing my application which has slightly worried me. Additionally, the history exam is in two weeks and my school has no idea in how to prepare me on it as they do not know what else to do, so I am kinda on my own as I'm not sure how to structure it. (If anyone has any tips or can PM me, please let me know because I am majorly stressing out). Also my GCSEs are worrying me. One of my teachers at school advised me not to apply because they are not Cambridge's typical GCSEs (ofc I went against him), but now I am worrying will that be a problem, as well as my A* prediction being in Sociology and not history. Lastly, if (when I do - positive attitude people!) I get as far as the interview, again my school will have no means of supporting me so I am kinda screwed.

So if anyone has any tips or faces similar problems to me let me know! or if you want to use this thread to just talk about history and Cambridge.

Good luck to all applicants and let me know on your predictions, what school you went to and how well you feel prepared
Hi there,

I'm sorry that I didn't come across this earlier. My school didn't tell me all my predictions, I only know English and Latin for certain. So mine were A*(English Language and Lit combined), A (Latin), I think A* in French because I'm really good at it, and either A* or A depending on who predicted it in History.
I'm British but was born in Luxembourg and have lived there all my life. My GCSEs weren't exactly Cambridge standard either, since I was doing them independently since I was in the French education system at the time. (The French system is pretty different so I couldn't always breach the gaps between curriculums alone.) I did seven and passed them all with 5 A*s (English lang, French, Spanish, Maths, Latin), an A (physics) and a B (Ancient Greek).
I got an A in history at AS. (I switched to a school doing the English system for sixth form.)
So to my surprise, I did get called for interview. My college was Magdalene and it was lovely. The interviews weren't disastrous, but I think that my second one was better than the first (the general one).
I didn't get much preparation for the interview. My history teacher gave me one mock interview the day before I left.
Now it's just a waiting game.

Did you get an interview? I really hope you did, but even if you didn't, the application is such a stressful process especially when your school doesn't support you, so you should be so proud of yourself just for having the courage to give it a try.
scoobyice8
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi all,

There is another similar thread here with more replies on here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5628478
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by scoobyice8)
Hi all,

There is another similar thread here with more replies on here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5628478
I've locked this thread. I'll merge them tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (58)
28.57%
No - I have already returned home (24)
11.82%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (46)
22.66%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (21)
10.34%
No - I live at home during term anyway (54)
26.6%

Watched Threads