The Student Room Group

sorry i’m late to the party (GYGs)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Labrador99
Sounds like you're doing well so far! Always good to see SQAers doing GYG :biggrin: Can I be added to your tag list?

You'd be surprised- different to what some teachers might tell you, a lot of courses (at least science based) at a lot of unis actually don't...Not that that stopped my old school making it mandatory to have English in your S5 timetable :rolleyes:

Yes of course. I think it is mandatory at our school to do it in S5 but it is such a drag English. Ugh.
Original post by Valeriex
Yes of course. I think it is mandatory at our school to do it in S5 but it is such a drag English. Ugh.

Can relate- absolutely hated Higher English :lol:
29th October- 2nd November

It's been a long tiring week. :frown: And worst of all I found out that my prelims start in 4 weeks :eek3:
Editors note: I think I'm going to try and do more regular updates because this took me so long to write out. I'll try and make these shorter in the future.

MONDAY

Finally got my maths prelim results back and overall somehow I managed to get 58/60!!!! :excited: So that stressing was for nothing. This makes me feel a little more confident for the actual maths prelim in December as I won't have to study it as much.
In music this week we have just been doing practical because we have our young performer auditions next Tuesday, which is just where you play in front of your year to see if you are getting through to the next round. I hope that I don't get through just because I'm too busy right now and I just don't want to. If I get through that's great but if not then it isn't the end of the world.:indiff:

Next was French and this day we did a past paper reading and honestly, it wasn't awful. After lunch I had chemistry every Monday we do a revision period and this is when I realize I have a lot of work to do because :argh: I want to get a good mark in my prelim because I might be taking it next year. Finally, I had Spanish and my Spanish class is really small (there is only 8 of us in total) but today there was only 4 of us and we did some work on the imperfect tense and luckily it is straightforward. However, I think I copied down one of the wrong endings so I need to double check that. :colondollar:
TUESDAY
Maths again, this time we started area of a triangle (1/2absinc) and I like this topic because you just plug numbers into a calculator and bing bang bosh! :u: After break I had biology and we started Unit 2 (Multicellular Organisms) which is human biology, finally. :party: But we found out that we need to cover half of the unit for the prelim, I'm pretty sure our class is quite far behind.:afraid: Then I had Spanish, we got our writing homework back and I had quite a few mistakes but my teacher said it had good potential for the writing assignment because I used a range of tenses. However, I would have to make it a bit longer. After lunch, I had Chemistry in which we finished off Carboxylic Acids. Which I admit was an easy topic but I've not learned it yet but I do understand it. And that is half the battle. :smile:
WEDNESDAY
Started the day off with chemistry. We went over the homework, which I got most of it right (this is not an achievement since I just copied my notes) then we started our AVUs (the national 4 backup assignment) we are doing it on alcohols and fuels but I only need to get 7 marks to pass and because it is Nat 4 it is easy to get marks. Then I P.E. we literally did nothing. fuN:laugh: I've noticed that it is getting icy in the morning and I'm not happy about it at all. :argh: English next, we continued annotating the poem Mrs. Midas, which I enjoyed because I love highlighting things in pretty colours.:nyan: At the end of the day, I had biology we had finished of stem cells from the previous day and we moved onto the process of mitosis (haploids and diploids and stuff). Also HAPPY HALLOWEEN. :iiam:
THURSDAY
French. We did a past paper listening and I only got 2 questions right. So I decided that I need to go to the listening supported study's after school, which happens to be on Thursday so I actually went and there were only 5 people there (and 2 of them I forced them to come with me so I wouldn't be alone), I'm going to try and go to that often so hopefully my listening begins to improve. Afterwards, I had Spanish and we had a test, I think I've got most of the words right because it was a writing but I don't think we will get them back until next Thursday. :thumbsup: Then I had maths and we were doing the cosine rule to find areas/angles and honestly I really like this topic because I can do the questions! :tongue:
FRIDAY
In English we got dates for practice exams before our prelims, (the week beginning the 19th we have a RUAE, TA and Critical essay) :eek:. Finally started a new topic in French, employability. We started off nice and easy and just took some vocab on jobs. After school, I had band where we continued with Christmas Music (sorry I'm a believer that Christmas music shouldn't start until December. )
THIS WEEKEND
I must do
I should do
Maths Homework (deadline 2)
Revise area of a triangle (maths)
Spanish Imperfect tense homework
Revise all Spanish tenses
Make employability french flashcards
Revise French Unpredictables bullet points.
Duolingo- Spanish and French
Practice flute
Memrise music flashcards
Practice Keyboard
Go over Scottish Music
Make unit 3 biology revision resources (some)
Make unit 2 biology revision resources (only some)
Learn Mitosis and understand it.

Finish reflective essay.
Read
Finish unit 1 chemistry revision resources
Revise chemistry unit 1
QUESTIONS:
How do you revise English?
- I need help people
How do you revise listening in languages?
- I need help people
DId you do anything this Halloween?
- I was trying to do homework while answering the doors to the trick-or-treaters, I ran out of sweets so I started handing out coppers (oops)
What is your favourite dinner?
- Pasta carbonara.

Spoiler

i revised english through making character notes, quote lists, context notes and mindmaps:smile: oh yes, and exam practice too:lol:
i don't celebrate or like halloween:tongue:
well done on maths!:rave:
Original post by entertainmyfaith
i revised english through making character notes, quote lists, context notes and mindmaps:smile: oh yes, and exam practice too:lol:
i don't celebrate or like halloween:tongue:
well done on maths!:rave:

Thank you so much for the tips :london:
Oh my goodness I was looking for a Halloween emoji earlier and I just found it :jacko:

29th October- 2nd November

It's been a long tiring week. :frown: And worst of all I found out that my prelims start in 4 weeks :eek3:
Editors note: I think I'm going to try and do more regular updates because this took me so long to write out. I'll try and make these shorter in the future.

MONDAY

Finally got my maths prelim results back and overall somehow I managed to get 58/60!!!! :excited: So that stressing was for nothing. This makes me feel a little more confident for the actual maths prelim in December as I won't have to study it as much.
In music this week we have just been doing practical because we have our young performer auditions next Tuesday, which is just where you play in front of your year to see if you are getting through to the next round. I hope that I don't get through just because I'm too busy right now and I just don't want to. If I get through that's great but if not then it isn't the end of the world.:indiff:
Next was French and this day we did a past paper reading and honestly, it wasn't awful. After lunch I had chemistry every Monday we do a revision period and this is when I realize I have a lot of work to do because :argh: I want to get a good mark in my prelim because I might be taking it next year. Finally, I had Spanish and my Spanish class is really small (there is only 8 of us in total) but today there was only 4 of us and we did some work on the imperfect tense and luckily it is straightforward. However, I think I copied down one of the wrong endings so I need to double check that. :colondollar:
TUESDAY
Maths again, this time we started area of a triangle (1/2absinc) and I like this topic because you just plug numbers into a calculator and bing bang bosh! :u: After break I had biology and we started Unit 2 (Multicellular Organisms) which is human biology, finally. :party: But we found out that we need to cover half of the unit for the prelim, I'm pretty sure our class is quite far behind.:afraid: Then I had Spanish, we got our writing homework back and I had quite a few mistakes but my teacher said it had good potential for the writing assignment because I used a range of tenses. However, I would have to make it a bit longer. After lunch, I had Chemistry in which we finished off Carboxylic Acids. Which I admit was an easy topic but I've not learned it yet but I do understand it. And that is half the battle. :smile:
WEDNESDAY
Started the day off with chemistry. We went over the homework, which I got most of it right (this is not an achievement since I just copied my notes) then we started our AVUs (the national 4 backup assignment) we are doing it on alcohols and fuels but I only need to get 7 marks to pass and because it is Nat 4 it is easy to get marks. Then I P.E. we literally did nothing. fuN:laugh: I've noticed that it is getting icy in the morning and I'm not happy about it at all. :argh: English next, we continued annotating the poem Mrs. Midas, which I enjoyed because I love highlighting things in pretty colours.:nyan: At the end of the day, I had biology we had finished of stem cells from the previous day and we moved onto the process of mitosis (haploids and diploids and stuff). Also HAPPY HALLOWEEN. :iiam:
THURSDAY
French. We did a past paper listening and I only got 2 questions right. So I decided that I need to go to the listening supported study's after school, which happens to be on Thursday so I actually went and there were only 5 people there (and 2 of them I forced them to come with me so I wouldn't be alone), I'm going to try and go to that often so hopefully my listening begins to improve. Afterwards, I had Spanish and we had a test, I think I've got most of the words right because it was a writing but I don't think we will get them back until next Thursday. :thumbsup: Then I had maths and we were doing the cosine rule to find areas/angles and honestly I really like this topic because I can do the questions! :tongue:
FRIDAY
In English we got dates for practice exams before our prelims, (the week beginning the 19th we have a RUAE, TA and Critical essay) :eek:. Finally started a new topic in French, employability. We started off nice and easy and just took some vocab on jobs. After school, I had band where we continued with Christmas Music (sorry I'm a believer that Christmas music shouldn't start until December. )
THIS WEEKEND
I must do
I should do
Maths Homework (deadline 2)
Revise area of a triangle (maths)
Spanish Imperfect tense homework
Revise all Spanish tenses
Make employability french flashcards
Revise French Unpredictables bullet points.
Duolingo- Spanish and French
Practice flute
Memrise music flashcards
Practice Keyboard
Go over Scottish Music
Make unit 3 biology revision resources (some)
Make unit 2 biology revision resources (only some)
Learn Mitosis and understand it.
Finish reflective essay.
Read
Finish unit 1 chemistry revision resources
Revise chemistry unit 1
QUESTIONS:
How do you revise English?
- I need help people
How do you revise listening in languages?
- I need help people
DId you do anything this Halloween?
- I was trying to do homework while answering the doors to the trick-or-treaters, I ran out of sweets so I started handing out coppers (oops)
What is your favourite dinner?
- Pasta carbonara.

Spoiler

Sounds like you've had a busy week!
For English, I made a lot of notes on the novel, annotated my poems, did a fair bit of essay practice, made templates that I could adapt and use for if any of the most common essay questions came up, and learnt the 'formula' for answering each of the different types of RUAE questions. It didn't come naturally to me so was something I had to practice a lot!
I can't really remember much about Nat 5 French listening, but I think learning a lot of vocab helped, as well as trying to listen to things in French for practice.
Didn't do anything for Halloween, but favourite dinner is chilli :smile:
5th November- 9th November

a week of successes?
:party:

MONDAY

all in all, Monday was a good day, did a past paper reading in French and Spanish, and I managed to get through it all. :biggrin: Took notes on one of the easiest topics in Maths that we have done (in my opinion x) the sine rule, I love these types of problem-solving questions! :yeah: It was bonfire night on Monday and I had such a great night with my friends going to see a display! :grouphugs:I still managed to sneak in a little revision on Mitosis, and I am finally starting to get to grips with all the stages. Somehow I didn't mention this in my previous post but Thank you, next by Ariana Grande is such a bop! :flute:

TUESDAY

today was a tiring but rewarding day. Finally got my login for a revision sight called Scholar, :h: only to find out that they don't really have many useful things for my subjects. :ashamed2: In chemistry, I was nearly finished my AVU poster when my teacher told me that source 1 wasn't relevant and I will need to re-do it even though she was the one to use that source! :argh: So that put me in a bad mood for the rest of the day. For the final 2 periods of the day I had to go to my young performer audition, I was so so so nervous,:afraid: I thought that it had gone horribly but somehow I am a finalist?!?!?! :rave: I am performing in front of parents in the final on Tuesday! After that, I was in such a good mood and I have been on a high all week! :bumps:

WEDNESDAY

an inspiring day. We had a representative (who was my teacher in S1) from a charity called 'Changing Faces' come in and talk to us for our RMPS group award charity project. It was inspiring and I learned lots. :smile: I recommend everyone to check out that charity and the work that they do Changing Faces: Charity .

THURSDAY

a good day. Finished off my AVU in Chemistry, despite all the hassle-finally. :yawn: In biology, we started talking about nerves and neurons and I was really confused this day, but I started to understand it on Friday, so I really do just need to learn to consolidate. We did a past paper listening in French and it went quite well, which is encouraging but I definitely need more practice. I found out that I only made 3 mistakes in my Spanish writing (200 words-ish) so I was over the moon! :biggrin: In English we began to write our critical essay, it was challenging trying to get back into the swing of things but once you do its actually slightly enjoyable. (Who would ever think that I would say that about English- not me. :eek:) This evening I finished off my maths homework, French homework and music homework. I did want to do some revision but instead, I watched How To Train Your Dragon #noregrets :colondollar: I love that movie.

FRIDAY

a fun day. In Spanish my teacher actually did something useful and gave us advice on how to tackle the reading paper, it was actually good advice- so much better than they give you in French. :jiggy: In French, we took some more vocab on employability, but since we just started that topic it was pretty easy. After school, I had band, only 2 more rehearsals until the concert! :eek3: Time to get practicing! When I got home I did my French writing and my RUAE homework, so I will have time to do revision this weekend.

QUESTIONS:

1, What film (s) do you love?
- How To Train Your Dragon, Tangled, The Lion King. (I'm a sucker for animated movies)
2, Anything that you are nervous about?
- Young Performer, Band Concert, Band Competition, and Prelims.

Spoiler

well done on the successful audition!:rave:
ari's new song is good:yep:
i love how to train your dragon and lion king omg:gah: they're like both one of my top favourite films they're so good:teeth: my other fave films are probably call me by your name and big hero 6 (i like animated films too:colondollar:)
have some assessments the week after next week so i'm a bit nervous for those:erm:
well done on the successful audition!:rave:
ari's new song is good:yep:
i love how to train your dragon and lion king omg:gah: they're like both one of my top favourite films they're so good:teeth: my other fave films are probably call me by your name and big hero 6 (i like animated films too:colondollar:)
have some assessments the week after next week so i'm a bit nervous for those:erm:

Good luck with your assessments!
Last June we watched big hero 6 in French, it was the first time I had ever seen it and I kept laughing at literally everything oops. We never finished the film and I haven't watched the ending next, I'll try and watch it again soon.
Reply 50
Hi Val! Fellow Scottish student here :smile:. Would love to follow your journey so please add me to your tag list! Best of luck with your Nat 5s and beyond :biggrin:.

5th November- 9th November

a week of successes?
:party:

MONDAY

all in all, Monday was a good day, did a past paper reading in French and Spanish, and I managed to get through it all. :biggrin: Took notes on one of the easiest topics in Maths that we have done (in my opinion x) the sine rule, I love these types of problem-solving questions! :yeah: It was bonfire night on Monday and I had such a great night with my friends going to see a display! :grouphugs:I still managed to sneak in a little revision on Mitosis, and I am finally starting to get to grips with all the stages. Somehow I didn't mention this in my previous post but Thank you, next by Ariana Grande is such a bop! :flute:

TUESDAY

today was a tiring but rewarding day. Finally got my login for a revision sight called Scholar, :h: only to find out that they don't really have many useful things for my subjects. :ashamed2: In chemistry, I was nearly finished my AVU poster when my teacher told me that source 1 wasn't relevant and I will need to re-do it even though she was the one to use that source! :argh: So that put me in a bad mood for the rest of the day. For the final 2 periods of the day I had to go to my young performer audition, I was so so so nervous,:afraid: I thought that it had gone horribly but somehow I am a finalist?!?!?! :rave: I am performing in front of parents in the final on Tuesday! After that, I was in such a good mood and I have been on a high all week! :bumps:

WEDNESDAY

an inspiring day. We had a representative (who was my teacher in S1) from a charity called 'Changing Faces' come in and talk to us for our RMPS group award charity project. It was inspiring and I learned lots. :smile: I recommend everyone to check out that charity and the work that they do Changing Faces: Charity .

THURSDAY

a good day. Finished off my AVU in Chemistry, despite all the hassle-finally. :yawn: In biology, we started talking about nerves and neurons and I was really confused this day, but I started to understand it on Friday, so I really do just need to learn to consolidate. We did a past paper listening in French and it went quite well, which is encouraging but I definitely need more practice. I found out that I only made 3 mistakes in my Spanish writing (200 words-ish) so I was over the moon! :biggrin: In English we began to write our critical essay, it was challenging trying to get back into the swing of things but once you do its actually slightly enjoyable. (Who would ever think that I would say that about English- not me. :eek:) This evening I finished off my maths homework, French homework and music homework. I did want to do some revision but instead, I watched How To Train Your Dragon #noregrets :colondollar: I love that movie.

FRIDAY

a fun day. In Spanish my teacher actually did something useful and gave us advice on how to tackle the reading paper, it was actually good advice- so much better than they give you in French. :jiggy: In French, we took some more vocab on employability, but since we just started that topic it was pretty easy. After school, I had band, only 2 more rehearsals until the concert! :eek3: Time to get practicing! When I got home I did my French writing and my RUAE homework, so I will have time to do revision this weekend.

QUESTIONS:

1, What film (s) do you love?
- How To Train Your Dragon, Tangled, The Lion King. (I'm a sucker for animated movies)
2, Anything that you are nervous about?
- Young Performer, Band Concert, Band Competition, and Prelims.

Spoiler

Well done on your young performer audition! :biggrin: And would second you on Changing Faces! :smile:
Good luck with your assessments!
Last June we watched big hero 6 in French, it was the first time I had ever seen it and I kept laughing at literally everything oops. We never finished the film and I haven't watched the ending next, I'll try and watch it again soon.

thank you:hugs:
you should finish it it's so good:gah: but the ending's so sad:cry:
please tag meee :jumphug:
Original post by clouddbubbles
please tag meee :jumphug:

Of course! Welcome to my hot mess of a life :h:
Random update:
I just found a really good app this morning called BBC Bitesize, where you can customize your subjects and they have revision notes, flashcards and quizzes. They even cover Scottish Courses :biggrin: Best of all, it is free!

Spoiler

12th November-17th November

meh. :indiff:

monday
started the week off with maths. for the entire week, we were doing trigonometry and bearings which is utter pish because we never got taught how to work out angles (well like 3 years ago but I never understood it in the first place) so it is such a struggle to do these questions.:s-smilie: in Spanish, we were going over a past paper reading and I got 26/30!! :colondollar: Maybe the memrise is paying off. After school, I had done some revision on all the homologous series as I want to get them perfect for my prelim. I also found a new TV show on Netflix, called Elite. It is like dubbed over Spanish so once you get past that, it is just like your teen drama, with a lot of questionable things in it. I'm already on episode 6.
tuesday
in PSE we got a sheet with all the supported studies on it and our tracking report. For everything, I am tracked at a B or an A and my target for everything is an A! :rave: In chemistry, we did revision all week for our Nat 4 test and our Nat 5 test next week, which I need to start revising for. :frown: We covered a new tense in French, the perfect tense, but luckily our teacher said we just have to recognize it at this stage not have to use it, but I think I am going to start learning it just to help me. Last was English and I got my RUAE homework back and I managed to achieve 26/30!! :eek: This is a great improvement for me considering at the end of last year in the big test, I only got 9/30. :lolwut: We continued to work on our key incident essays and I managed to finish mine, so that is one less piece of homework. After school I had Young Performer, I was so nervous. I didn't mess up which was good, I didn't manage to place in my year, but that is okay. :smile:
wednesday
okay, so I could feel the cold coming on today, ughhh. :mad: In RMPS we watched a video about the selfless Sikhs and it was so sad, hearing stories about what ISIS (and other terrorist groups) have done to people- If I told you what was in this documentary I might actually get banned from TSR it was sickening and something you wouldn't wish on anyone. :bawling:I never realized the scale of what is happening in the middle east. But basically, the main learning point was about how our viewpoint could relate to a Sikhs value of how they want to help people outside of their religion with no reward or anything. Next was English where we were talking about some strategies that can be used to help us revise so that was actually useful as we have a practice prelim next week on our RUAE and T.A., and the week before our actual prelim we have a practice Essay prelim. :frown: I love my Wednesday afternoons because they are so chill, music listening and then biology. When I got home from school I had this big plan to do work but I literally did nothing- oops.:colondollar:
thursday
started off with biology where we learning about parts of the brain, pretty easy I just need to learn them. Had Spanish later and there we were doing a holiday essay, so I handed that in for my teacher to mark, to be perfectly honest I basically just amended the homework that I had done for the other teacher and added some paragraphs. I really started to come down with the cold and it was not good. :no:
friday
I nearly didn't come to school today because of my cold, and honestly, I wish I didn't because out of the 6 subjects I had that day I think I did something that I couldn't have done at home (i.e learn something new) in 1 of my classes. :angry: I don't even have anything to say about today. So when I got home I decided to not go to band because there was no way I would be able to play the flute because I was all choked up, so instead, I made lots of chemistry revision resources.
saturday
yesterday I went to see the new Fantastic Beasts movie with my mum but it wasn't very good. There was hardly a plot, yes the animation was good but the plot was non-existent. The first one would have been better as a stand-alone film. Though apparently my mum and I are in the minority because when we came out of the cinema one of the employees asked us if it was better than the first one and we said no, we were one of the last people out of the cinema but apparently everyone else said it was so much better so I don't know what movie they were watching. I felt like it was never going to end. Though someone who was in my mum's class in Primary had a minor speaking role in it (one of the people at the ministry who was interviewing Newt about something, I can't even remember what it was now and this is only the day after watching it) so that was quite exciting.
questions

1. have you watched Elite, if so what are your opinions on it? (No spoilers I've still got 2 or 3 episodes until the end)
-It is good but the threesome thing is a bit weird and they keep spending so much time on it, honestly, Marina is such an unlikeable character I wouldn't be surprised if they all plotted together (except Samuel cause ya no) to kill her. But honestly, it was probably her dad.
2. what are your opinions on the new Fantastic Beasts film if you have seen it.
-read above for my opinions.
3. If you could change 1 of your subjects what would you change?
-personally, I like all of my subjects so I probably wouldn't swap anything but if I had to choose, probably chemistry for hospitality.

Spoiler

well done on all of your results!!
you watch elite in english dub?:eek: i just watch it with spanish dub and english subtitles- i'm really liking it so far though i've only watched 2 episodes!
haven't watched either of the fantastic beasts movies yet:no:
well done on all of your results!!
you watch elite in english dub?:eek: i just watch it with spanish dub and english subtitles- i'm really liking it so far though i've only watched 2 episodes!
haven't watched either of the fantastic beasts movies yet:no:

I did have the English subtitles on but the audio was different to the subtitles and it was really annoying.
I did have the English subtitles on but the audio was different to the subtitles and it was really annoying.

yeah dubbing's never that good so i just stick to the original audio:erm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending