21 and 17/18 year old? Socially acceptable ?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi. I’m turning 18 in a few months and recently started talking to a 21 yr old. Its literally only been a few days. I’m still deciding on whether to tell him or just cut it off before anything develops because I know some guys have a problem with age gaps. Right now he thinks i’m 18 but in reality I turn 18 in 3 months. What should I do?
Nesgul
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You're both legal so I see nothing wrong with it tbh. I dated a 23 year old when I was 19 so I wouldn't worry about it.
RV3112
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's a small lie. You should probably level with him if you decide you like him, but its no harm to take a few more days to see if you actually like him first.

It's probably unlikely that just a couple of months will make a whole lot of difference to him, but it's possible he might be irked if you hide it for too long.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by RV3112)
It's a small lie. You should probably level with him if you decide you like him, but its no harm to take a few more days to see if you actually like him first.

It's probably unlikely that just a couple of months will make a whole lot of difference to him, but it's possible he might be irked if you hide it for too long.
(Original post by Nesgul)
You're both legal so I see nothing wrong with it tbh. I dated a 23 year old when I was 19 so I wouldn't worry about it.
Thank you guys! Its just worrying me because this happened to me a few months back and the guy was only 20 and decided he didnt want to talk to me anymore. I literally told him straight up and a week later he switched on me.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
I’m so sorry for asking but I need to make sure - Are you the guy who is 25year olds and is dating a girl who just turned 16years old but made this thread since everyone was rejecting it?

The guy said he would lie and make a new thread so I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t him. Sorry yet again.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m so sorry for asking but I need to make sure - Are you the guy who is 25year olds and is dating a girl who just turned 16years old but made this thread since everyone was rejecting it?

The guy said he would lie and make a new thread so I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t him. Sorry yet again.
Noooo!!! LOL. I saw that post too it was disgusting. I’m just on Tinder as an 18 yr old so ehhh
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
18 and 21 is social acceptable, yeah. He probably won't be too impressed that you lied though.
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There's no harm in dating an older guy. You're both (pretty much) full adults.

If you do end up dating him in the next couple weeks, then you should tell him you're just about to turn 18 bc even tho it's a little innocent lie, it is a lie and you dont want to start a new relationship with lies.

Maybe if you told him now, he'd be wary of dating a 17y/o if he's 21. That's understandable.
AnharM
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi. I’m turning 18 in a few months and recently started talking to a 21 yr old. Its literally only been a few days. I’m still deciding on whether to tell him or just cut it off before anything develops because I know some guys have a problem with age gaps. Right now he thinks i’m 18 but in reality I turn 18 in 3 months. What should I do?
I personally think 21 and 17 is okay. But I do have a problem with a 24 year old for example, being with a 17 year old, but my female friend doesn't. So I guess....it's just a matter of perspective.
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AnharM)
I personally think 21 and 17 is okay. But I do have a problem with a 24 year old for example, being with a 17 year old, but my female friend doesn't. So I guess....it's just a matter of perspective.
Looking at it from a different view; a 21 y/o is mid-way through college (or is already working if he didnt go to uni), he's experienced way more than a 17y/o in terms of alcohol, possibly drugs, women, bars, what he likes and dislikes in relationships, life in general, etc.

Whereas a 17y/o or even 18y/o female experienced minimum of those things; sure people drink at 15 or 16 these days but in the grand scheme of things the 21 y/o experienced much more than the 17y/o and overall the two of them arent on the same wave-length imo.

Saying that, I wouldnt stop myself from dating a yougner girl bc love is love.
WaffleApple
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
At 23 I've dated a 17 year old woman lol. Don't see the big deal
AnharM
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SomMC1)
Looking at it from a different view; a 21 y/o is mid-way through college (or is already working if he didnt go to uni), he's experienced way more than a 17y/o in terms of alcohol, possibly drugs, women, bars, what he likes and dislikes in relationships, life in general, etc.

Whereas a 17y/o or even 18y/o female experienced minimum of those things; sure people drink at 15 or 16 these days but in the grand scheme of things the 21 y/o experienced much more than the 17y/o and overall the two of them arent on the same wave-length imo.

Trust me, I was thinking this way too, before I met this woman at my sixth form, she was this co-ordinator for my sixth form. She told me she was dating a 22 year old when she was 17...I was a bit taken back. She was 25 at the time I asked her I think. She didn't feel anything wrong with it. She was very mature for her age at the time and got along with older guys.

The thing is, the whole "girls mature faster than guys" does come into play a lot. Girls go for mature guys. For example, I got into uni quite late, I was 20 I believe. I had this event, this girl in third year (assuming she's 21) was showing the group around. We were sitting down and she was looking around asking questions, and she looked at me and she instantly realised I was an older person. She asked me how old I was, and I told her I'm 20. And she said she thought I was even older because I seem a lot more mature than the guys sitting around, who were giggling like little rabbits. We just looked at each other and knew that they have a lot of growing up to do, you could tell they were 18.

Just simple things like that, will put off some girls from guys their age.
Anonymous #1

Exactly, I do agree with the different wavelength thing but I'm just not attracted to the mindset of people my age.
Anonymous #1
Exactly, I do agree with the different wavelength thing but I'm just not attracted to the mindset of people my age.
He's already asking about my life and I just have no idea what to say.
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
He's already asking about my life and I just have no idea what to say.
I think you need to be honest with what your life is about. Dont be lying about nothing. Depending on if the relationship gets more powerful and intimate, i'd then tell him you are in fact only 17 and not 18. What point is there to tell him now if chances are you aint even date him? Exactly, no point.

You text or call, ft?

also be wary that the guy isnt some sort of creepy mfker or anything like that. I dont wanna sound like your dad but you know, you can never be careful enough. be safe
Anonymous #1
I think you need to be honest with what your life is about. Dont be lying about nothing. Depending on if the relationship gets more powerful and intimate, i'd then tell him you are in fact only 17 and not 18. What point is there to tell him now if chances are you aint even date him? Exactly, no point.

You text or call, ft?

also be wary that the guy isnt some sort of creepy mfker or anything like that. I dont wanna sound like your dad but you know, you can never be careful enough. be safe
Thank you! I told him and he was shocked but he seems cool about it 😂 He was like “show me your ID so I know you’re not 15” 😂😂
GodTubz
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah you're 18 soon so yeah, date whoever you want whatever the age, do what makes you happy and dont let peoples opinions change that
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (99)
13.22%
I'm not sure (32)
4.27%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (234)
31.24%
I have already dropped out (18)
2.4%
I'm not a current university student (366)
48.87%

Watched Threads