vanessa.m18
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hello there,
I'm a student with a science background and have recently taken up the idea of doing a business degree instead of a pharmacist one. I have no experience at all in the business sector and was wondering if this would affect my chances of getting a uni placement.
Thank you
silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Why business?
vanessa.m18
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by silent ninja)
Why business?
Because I would be able to pick which sector I would like to go into, or even start my own business. Whilst Pharmacy I would be at Uni for 5 years and maybe at the end would not want to be a Pharmacist- wasting time and money.
silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Pharmacy is a vocational degree. If you're not interested in being a Pharmacist of some sorts, then it's probably not a good idea. It is clearly directed to that 'industry'.

There's no reason you can't get in to a business degree with science A levels or similar. You'll need to demonstrate your interest though. How do you plan on doing that? So far, it does sound like you've only had a cursory look at business and the main driver seems to be that it'll make your more employable? I'm not sure a business degree will make your more employable. "Business" and "business management" are loose terms, and many successful business people don't have a degree in business at all - everything from art, to law and economics, to engineering. And of course there's a significant minority of successful entrepeneurs that don't have any qualifications. I've encountered colleagues with all sorts of degrees. Business is also an extremely catch all subject. In reality, any career will be focused on a specific element, say strategy or HR management. You need to do more research and reading.

Also consider that there are a tonne of flexible degrees out there. My degree was predominantly Maths, Statistics and Economics, but by year 3 I was doing close to 50% business modules - like accounting, investment finance, procurement and international management. Look for a course that will give you flexibility whilst being rigorous and at a reputable university. Much of business is about being entrepeneurial and hustling, so what you do beyond your degree is going to carry more weight and give you a more rounded skillset.
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by vanessa.m18)
Hello there,
I'm a student with a science background and have recently taken up the idea of doing a business degree instead of a pharmacist one. I have no experience at all in the business sector and was wondering if this would affect my chances of getting a uni placement.
Thank you
Hey Vanessa,

I study Management at the University of Bath and I am currently on my placement year.

I was a bit apprehensive about applying for Management as I had never done Business A-Level, or particularly shown an interest in the business sector before considering university degrees, however I haven't found myself at a disadvantage at all!

My course mates came from lots of different subject backgrounds and first year is definitely about getting everyone to the same level. You will find a lot of subjects are relevant to at least some modules in a business degree because it is such a broad area of study. In my experience, Psychology A-Level was particularly relevant when studying HR and consumer psychology, and Maths gave me a good basis in accounting and finance as well.

When I came to write my personal statement I was actually able to relate a lot of simple things to an interest in business. In your case, a scientific background may have helped you to develop a good attention to detail which is great for financial positions, and data analysis can be very relevant to jobs in digital marketing etc.

In terms of placements, I know a lot of Natural Science students at Bath who chose to do placements in business, but perhaps at companies with science at the core such as GSK, Pfizer, Johnson&Johnson etc. This means you can still use your background in science but perhaps in a more commercial position.

Basically, you don't have to do a business degree to secure a business placement, as university helps you to develop lots of transferable skills that are relevant to a variety of jobs.

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions, just quote me

Alice,
3rd Year Management Student, University of Bath
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (126)
18.1%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.59%
Not great so far... (250)
35.92%
I want to drop out! (128)
18.39%

Watched Threads