The Student Room Group

Religious hate crime up 40%

Scroll to see replies

I note that 52% is muslim related.
I also note the reasons why they are suggesting an increase.
Crime stats are notoriously complex, so its always worth reading more about how the headline figure is reached and understanding what factors can influence a change in outcome. This is the same with any crime stats and they arent always what they seem to be.
Hate crime as a whole is up. Most is based on race from sexuality. Religion is 3rd,
no hate crime is same as 10 years ago however more people report what they believe to be hate crimes to police. It the same with male victims of partner abuse more men come forward than a few years ago but there no more abuse of men per person than 50 years ago.
Hate crime is an absurdly recorded statistic, it is not based on actual crimes committed but accusations, if I were to phone the police and made a false accusation that somebody had committed a hate crime that would go on record, even if the police force knew it was a false or otherwise spurious accusation and did not even investigate.
Reply 5
Don't they get the Muslim stats from that propaganda outfit TellMama?

If so that's just based on complaints of online hurty feelz.
Original post by Jebedee
Don't they get the Muslim stats from that propaganda outfit TellMama?

If so that's just based on complaints of online hurty feelz.

Yes, but also it’s the same if they do it on the phone or in person, it’s their perception of someone else’s motives.

When the human race becomes telepathic I might start paying attention to these numbers.

I’m far more bothered that if convicted for say punching someone who’s black who thinks it’s a hate crime that the person who threw the punch gets a harsher sentence than if he did it because he was tall or looked at his girlfriend or was a general nutter etc.

The crimes still the same, it’s assault and should be treated the same regardless.

But the intersectional oppression Olympics just keeps on trucking
Reply 7
But wait a minute, I thought diversity was our greatest strength and multiculturalism would bring us all closer together?
Original post by Wōden
But wait a minute, I thought diversity was our greatest strength and multiculturalism would bring us all closer together?

C6F411C7-C870-4378-8E27-CA6727D87614.jpg.jpeg
Original post by Jammy Duel
Hate crime is an absurdly recorded statistic, it is not based on actual crimes committed but accusations, if I were to phone the police and made a false accusation that somebody had committed a hate crime that would go on record, even if the police force knew it was a false or otherwise spurious accusation and did not even investigate.

By that logic almost all crime statistics are "absurdly recorded".

What point are you trying to make? Do you honestly think someone is going to waste their time on a 15-20 minute call with the police to report a crime that never happened? And even if they did, do you think that this represents the majority of hate crime accusations?
Original post by SHallowvale
By that logic almost all crime statistics are "absurdly recorded".

What point are you trying to make? Do you honestly think someone is going to waste their time on a 15-20 minute call with the police to report a crime that never happened? And even if they did, do you think that this represents the majority of hate crime accusations?

In the case of someone getting punched the crime is assault.

It only becomes a hate crime when the person who got punched became telepathic and could read the aggressors mind.
Original post by paul514
In the case of someone getting punched the crime is assault.

It only becomes a hate crime when the person who got punched became telepathic and could read the aggressors mind.

1. Hate crimes do not only take the form of assault.
2. You do not need to be telepathic to know that something is motivated by religion, sexuality, nationality, etc.
1. Hate crimes do not only take the form of assault.
2. You do not need to be telepathic to know that something is motivated by religion, sexuality, nationality, etc.

1. I never said all hate crimes were assault, it’s called an example.
2. You can’t know someone’s mind without being the owner of said mind.
Even if you could it’s still the same crime regardless and therefore requires the same punishment regardless.
Original post by paul514
1. I never said all hate crimes were assault, it’s called an example.
2. You can’t know someone’s mind without being the owner of said mind.
Even if you could it’s still the same crime regardless and therefore requires the same punishment regardless.

If someone punched me all the while calling me a ****** I'm pretty sure I'd understand their motivations.

From my understanding hate crimes are given more severe punishments than their non-hate involved counterparts.
If someone punched me all the while calling me a ****** I'm pretty sure I'd understand their motivations.

From my understanding hate crimes are given more severe punishments than their non-hate involved counterparts.

In response to what they are calling you they may just be saying whatever the word is because they are angry at you about something else.

But again it should be immaterial the crime is still the same and therefore so should be the punishment.

Your understanding is correct hence the point of my reply’s 👀
its difficult being a muslim hijabi especially in london :frown:
Original post by Pure Flower
its difficult being a muslim hijabi especially in london :frown:

It isn’t though is it ? If anything, it’s easier being a muslim hijaibi in London than anywhere else.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by paul514
Yes, but also it’s the same if they do it on the phone or in person, it’s their perception of someone else’s motives.

When the human race becomes telepathic I might start paying attention to these numbers.

I’m far more bothered that if convicted for say punching someone who’s black who thinks it’s a hate crime that the person who threw the punch gets a harsher sentence than if he did it because he was tall or looked at his girlfriend or was a general nutter etc.

The crimes still the same, it’s assault and should be treated the same regardless.

But the intersectional oppression Olympics just keeps on trucking

It's not the same.Some things have a history which make them more sensitive issues.If you randomly attack a guy because you are drunk it's less serious than if you randomly beat up a Jew because it doesn't have the same history.Its treated more seriously because it brings to mind genocide and the associated history there.
Isn't at all surprising tbh
Original post by RS564
It's not the same.Some things have a history which make them more sensitive issues.If you randomly attack a guy because you are drunk it's less serious than if you randomly beat up a Jew because it doesn't have the same history.Its treated more seriously because it brings to mind genocide and the associated history there.

The crime is the same, the action is the same, just because the victim is reminded of something else doesn’t mean it should be treated any differently when it comes to sentencing.

Hate crime is ridiculous

Quick Reply

Latest