The Student Room Group

Deloitte Will Probably Reject me For a Six Year Old Grade!

So I received an email from Deloitte for a graduate scheme asking for my English grade the first time I took the exam. I got a D, I did retake and get an A. I then got AAB at A Level with two essay based subjects.

I recently graduated with a first from a top business school in a numerical and essay based degree. But apparently my 2012 English grade holds just as much weight as my A Levels and degree. I get these are the requirements they look for but it's a joke.

A GCSE grade shoes my written skills more than first class marks at university?? Ugh. Just needed to vent.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrMusician95
So I received an email from Deloitte for a graduate scheme asking for my English grade the first time I took the exam. I got a D, I did retake and get an A. I then got AAB at A Level with two essay based subjects.

I recently graduated with a first from a top business school in a numerical and essay based degree. But apparently my 2012 English grade holds just as much weight as my A Levels and degree. I get these are the requirements they look for but it's a joke.

A GCSE grade shoes my written skills more than first class marks at university?? Ugh. Just needed to vent.

Their entry requirements look pretty clear, unfortunately. Totally understand your need to vent. I assume you're applying to several other places too? Good luck.
Original post by Duncan2012
Their entry requirements look pretty clear, unfortunately. Totally understand your need to vent. I assume you're applying to several other places too? Good luck.

I get their requirements are clear but I got an A in the end and I was severely bullied during my GCSEs. But of course they don't care. I got through to a F2F last year so they were fine with my retake.

It just annoys me that a six year old GCSE grade holds more wait than an A in the retake, AAB at A Level with the As coming in essay subjects. And a first at university in a numerical and essay based subject.
I get their requirements are clear but I got an A in the end and I was severely bullied during my GCSEs. But of course they don't care. I got through to a F2F last year so they were fine with my retake.

It just annoys me that a six year old GCSE grade holds more wait than an A in the retake, AAB at A Level with the As coming in essay subjects. And a first at university in a numerical and essay based subject.

It says they take extenuating circumstances into account - considered trying that?

Not sure what you mean by a 'numerical and essay based subject', which you've mentioned twice now.
It says they take extenuating circumstances into account - considered trying that?

Not sure what you mean by a 'numerical and essay based subject', which you've mentioned twice now.

I asked about that and they said the school needs to confirm it but none of the teachers I spoke to about the bullying are their anymore. Their English requirement is a C so maybe a D is not too far off??

And what I mean for my degree is that it was a mixture of qualitative and quantitative modules. About half of my modules were essay based and half were numerical.
I asked about that and they said the school needs to confirm it but none of the teachers I spoke to about the bullying are their anymore. Their English requirement is a C so maybe a D is not too far off??

And what I mean for my degree is that it was a mixture of qualitative and quantitative modules. About half of my modules were essay based and half were numerical.

Well let's just wait and see what they come back with. Human beings read these applications and they'd be extremely short-sighted to put more weight on a GCSE than a degree. What subject btw?
If you spoke to someone about the bullying, then maybe it's still on record somewhere. If they reject you because of that, then it wasn't meant to be. You'll have plenty of other opportunities.
Well let's just wait and see what they come back with. Human beings read these applications and they'd be extremely short-sighted to put more weight on a GCSE than a degree. What subject btw?

Haha exactly! But thank for listening man, I really needed to vent. And the subject was Management at Cass Business School so it was a lot of essays but also a lot of quants stuff.
Original post by YaliaV
If you spoke to someone about the bullying, then maybe it's still on record somewhere. If they reject you because of that, then it wasn't meant to be. You'll have plenty of other opportunities.

Probably. I might contact my school and see. Yeah true it just sucks if they reject me because my English GCSE first time was a grade below their requirement.
If that's the reason they'll reject, then that's not a place you want to work anyway
Probably. I might contact my school and see. Yeah true it just sucks if they reject me because my English GCSE first time was a grade below their requirement.

It would be unfair. I've found that life throws as many lucky chances as low blows my way though. Maybe you would have hated working there and something else will suit you more. They might still accept your application anyway.
Original post by sallyS22
If that's the reason they'll reject, then that's not a place you want to work anyway

That's very true. Thank for the message :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by YaliaV
It would be unfair. I've found that life throws as many lucky chances as low blows my way though. Maybe you would have hated working there and something else will suit you more. They might still accept your application anyway.

Exactly this.

Keep your chin up bro.

A company that is so swamped in bureaucracy that they can't look pass a GCSE grade clearly isn't the right choice for you anyway...
Original post by Mult
Exactly this.

Keep your chin up bro.

A company that is so swamped in bureaucracy that they can't look pass a GCSE grade clearly isn't the right choice for you anyway...

You're both definitely right. I was just angry about the email I got. But thank you for your words!
Kid this is the BIG4 you’re at, they get thousands of applications and if you got **** marks in English then you’re not getting hired. Now you can either sit and complain like a failure or you can improve yourself and retake that gcse real quick or apply to other firms that don’t care about it. The world is full of great applicants so you’ve gotta compete and if you can’t stand the heat get out of the kitchen.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by GGekkoM&A
Kid this is the BIG4 you’re at, they get thousands of applications and if you got **** marks in English then you’re not getting hired. Now you can either sit and complain like a failure or you can improve yourself and retake that gcse real quick or apply to other firms that don’t care about it. The world is full of great applicants so you’ve gotta compete and if you can’t stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

He has retaken an got an A, clearly somebody needs to learn how to read.
Original post by Andrew97

Nah kid, someone needs to learn to compete. If you stop to read everything you fall behind and the competition races ahead of ya, this is a dog eat dog world kid.
Original post by Andrew97

Thanks man :smile:
Yeah I have been as well. I just hope they don't hold me back for one grade lower than their requirement.
It’s a hyper competitive world, more than ever, and we might not be the best to work with but you don’t get to the top without aiming for the top and working harder than everyone to get there. It’s not my fault that some people are complacent, well I don’t wanna settle. I want to reach the top and to get the best positions you need to be the best and dedicate yourself to the pursuit of your goals.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending