The Student Room Group

Ucas problem :(

it says reference and I don’t have any teacher to give me a predicted grade. I’m sitting exams privately. What do I do?
Reply 1
Original post by GotASecret
it says reference and I don’t have any teacher to give me a predicted grade. I’m sitting exams privately. What do I do?

Old teacher? Employer?
Reply 2
Original post by Neuth
Old teacher? Employer?

How is an employer meant to give them predicted grades?
Reply 3
How is an employer meant to give them predicted grades?

They can't, but they can still provide the reference. Last year you were able to have a referee skip this by just not ticking the qualifications checked box, might have changed since then but I'm sure there is a way around it. The best option is to use the buzzword of your old school/sixth form/college and go through them, as they'll know academic potential and can support you through the application.
you can get an employer to write your reference and explain your situation (no teachers), then supply the predicted grades you expect yourself to get, in light of no other form of assessment
Reply 5
Original post by delia0117q
you can get an employer to write your reference and explain your situation (no teachers), then supply the predicted grades you expect yourself to get, in light of no other form of assessment

Oh okay so where do I put my predicted grades I expect myself to get? I just put pending.
So do I put my employees as my referee? Do I tell my employee that ucas will contact them and they have to tell ucas I have no teachers?

Hi there

The UCAS website has some advice which could be useful, you do not necessarily need to provide a reference as long as you call your university first and explain this to them, and the university agrees that you do not need a reference. This could be an option as if you put down an unsuitable reference you could have your application rejected.

You can find more information on this at the website below under the "Don’t want to include a reference?" section:
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/how-get-ucas-undergraduate-reference

If you need any more support with your application you can seek advice from our expert friendly advisers by calling 0800 100 900 from 8am to 10pm. You can also email and text the advisers from this website:
https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/contact-us/home

If you need any more support don't hesitate to get in touch and good luck with your application!
Rosy
Oh okay so where do I put my predicted grades I expect myself to get? I just put pending.
So do I put my employees as my referee? Do I tell my employee that ucas will contact them and they have to tell ucas I have no teachers?

oh so you don’t have an employer? if you only have employees and you are their boss i’m not sure if that applies. if you had an employer you could have asked them to put the grades in the reference
Reply 8
Original post by delia0117q
oh so you don’t have an employer? if you only have employees and you are their boss i’m not sure if that applies. if you had an employer you could have asked them to put the grades in the reference

I meant employers* they can give me predicted grades??? Are u sure that’s allowed?
i am not in the british system but i don’t see why not, if they specify your situation and explain why you cannot get a teacher to predict them it should be fine
you could also email the universities and make sure
I meant employers* they can give me predicted grades??? Are u sure that’s allowed?

Your referee can choose to provide predicted grades or not when writing your reference. You need to speak to them about whether they’re willing to provide predictions and how they should explain where the predictions are from (eg including a sentence in the reference explaining that those are your target grades).

Quick Reply

Latest