Are PTs worth it?

Watch
hatcs001
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I had a taster session with a PT today. It went really well and I learned a lot from him.

My only doubt is that he could be 16-19 years old and I'm 20. I don't know why, but there's something that feels weird about having an 18 year old teach me what to do. I also saw his next client and it was young girl and immediately thought about his reputation...

Anyway, he's said that he can do 8 sessions for £250 which is essentially £30 an hour. Are they worth it? I am a student... I'd be seeing him twice a week: one for upper body and one for lower body. Are they worth it? It does seem expensive but I think this is a reasonable PT price...

Also, would it be weird if I asked for one session a week? To spread out the cost. So do one session in week 1 with upper body, then one session in week 2 with lower body etc.
Enginerd.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Youtube/Google everything you want to learn. Most PT's in my opinion are a waste of time and money, and some of them haven't a clue about what they're doing, from first hand experience.
Kyri
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
When I started lifting I used a PT for a few sessions to learn form and gain confidence and it was worth it for that. After that it's not necessary. You can keep learning from reputable youtubers. The problem is there are loads of PTs out there who aren't good. But when you're new you don't know if a PT is good, until you no longer need a PT. It can be a bit of a gamble if you can't go off a recommendation.
Revolver72
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I used a PT for the first few months. It let me make sure I was doing things correctly so I didn't hurt myself, as well as to formulate a way forward, before I carried on solo. It's also good if you're not motivated, guess if you have a PT appointment you're going to feel like you have to go, and won't find an excuse. Depends on what you're looking for, really.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (17)
28.33%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
6.67%
No I am happy with my choice (36)
60%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
5%

Watched Threads