samr666
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
this is my practice question which i have began to answer. hoping for some advise on how to improve/ add to my line of argument. thanks if you do reply.

explore how Shakespeare presents ambition in Macbeth
In the play “Macbeth”, Shakespeare presents ambition in a woman as evil and unnatural, whereas ambition in men can be used for the greater good and a signal of strength.
The typical Jacobean woman was perceived to be subordinate to men, nurturing to children and obedient. Lady Macbeth is shown to oppose these stereotypes throughout the extract and play with her driven and ambitious characteristics expressed by her repetitive use of imperatives in her soliloquy- “and thou shalt be what thou art promised”. This would have shocked the contemporary audience as her masculine traits which endorse her personal ambition to become queen would have opposed the social hierarchy at the time
em is tired
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by samr666)
this is my practice question which i have began to answer. hoping for some advise on how to improve/ add to my line of argument. thanks if you do reply.

explore how Shakespeare presents ambition in Macbeth
In the play “Macbeth”, Shakespeare presents ambition in a woman as evil and unnatural, whereas ambition in men can be used for the greater good and a signal of strength.
The typical Jacobean woman was perceived to be subordinate to men, nurturing to children and obedient. Lady Macbeth is shown to oppose these stereotypes throughout the extract and play with her driven and ambitious characteristics expressed by her repetitive use of imperatives in her soliloquy- “and thou shalt be what thou art promised”. This would have shocked the contemporary audience as her masculine traits which endorse her personal ambition to become queen would have opposed the social hierarchy at the time
Great use of context. Try to stick to this structure, which I used and it got me a grade 9:
SEXIOWL
Statement
Evidence
Xplanation
Inference
One-word focus
Writer's intention
Link

The first 4 are obvious. One word focus means zooming in on single words or phrases. For example, in the extract you are referring to, you could talk about the word "shalt". It is a modal verb, expressing possibility and certainty. Shakespeare uses it to allude to Lady Macbeth's sense of conviction; she is so determined to become queen that she thinks it is unquestionable that she will achieve her aim. You could then link this to her ambition and how Shakespeare presents it.
Writer's intention is what Shakespeare wanted his audience to think, feel or imagine. In this case, you are talking about Jacobean England. Did people respect women? Were they scared of them? How would an audience of this time period respond to Lady Macbeth's ambition? Link this to Shakespeare's language and structure. Lady Macbeth speaks her mind and discusses her ambition very regularly, which would have been out of place for a Jacobean woman. Basically, Shakespeare wanted a shock factor.
Finally, Link means linking to either context, structure, or other parts of the play. Alternatively, you could use Link to make your essay more cohesive, by using conjunctions etc.

I really hope this helps. I'm trying to get into tutoring English students, so let me know how you get on. Good luck!
Em
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
moving this to english
samr666
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by em is tired)
Great use of context. Try to stick to this structure, which I used and it got me a grade 9:
SEXIOWL
Statement
Evidence
Xplanation
Inference
One-word focus
Writer's intention
Link

The first 4 are obvious. One word focus means zooming in on single words or phrases. For example, in the extract you are referring to, you could talk about the word "shalt". It is a modal verb, expressing possibility and certainty. Shakespeare uses it to allude to Lady Macbeth's sense of conviction; she is so determined to become queen that she thinks it is unquestionable that she will achieve her aim. You could then link this to her ambition and how Shakespeare presents it.
Writer's intention is what Shakespeare wanted his audience to think, feel or imagine. In this case, you are talking about Jacobean England. Did people respect women? Were they scared of them? How would an audience of this time period respond to Lady Macbeth's ambition? Link this to Shakespeare's language and structure. Lady Macbeth speaks her mind and discusses her ambition very regularly, which would have been out of place for a Jacobean woman. Basically, Shakespeare wanted a shock factor.
Finally, Link means linking to either context, structure, or other parts of the play. Alternatively, you could use Link to make your essay more cohesive, by using conjunctions etc.

I really hope this helps. I'm trying to get into tutoring English students, so let me know how you get on. Good luck!
Em
thank you so much this really helped
samr666
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by em is tired)
SEXIOWL
Statement
Evidence
Xplanation
Inference
One-word focus
Writer's intention
Link

Em
Just saw this- thank you very much for the help, it's very much appreciated at this point
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (183)
23.86%
Pop (187)
24.38%
Jazz (30)
3.91%
Classical (46)
6%
Hip-Hop (144)
18.77%
Electronic (50)
6.52%
Indie (127)
16.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise