should I take geography or history GCSE? Watch

applesandroses
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I find both of them equally boring. I'm meant to be really good at history but I find geography much easier. Unfortunately I have to take one. What are the courses like and which subject should I choose?
OctoberRain7
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Usually if you talk to your head of year about it you won’t have to take either as they can’t actually force you to do one
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
applesandroses
Rep:
?
(Original post by OctoberRain7)
Usually if you talk to your head of year about it you won’t have to take either as they can’t actually force you to do one
Isn't it strongly advised though?
Bill Nye
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by applesandroses)
Isn't it strongly advised though?
Sure they can be useful, but I didn't take either.

But if one of the option blocks are just history or geography, then you will have to pick one of them.
Hugh's Swan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Which way are you inclined in terms of later on? Think about what options you might have later for a levels? E.g if you like english, arts, humanities, history might go well later with english and say politics. If you think you might be more science but not the whole hog, geography might go well with maths and economics. That is a useful way of thinking what to choose.
Lydia.Mx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I find both of them equally boring. I'm meant to be really good at history but I find geography much easier. Unfortunately I have to take one. What are the courses like and which subject should I choose?
I am a lover of geography so would say geography haha! (Not trying to persuade you to take it)But no, do you really have to do either? I'd talk to someone and find out if its a must - if you don't enjoy the subject, you aren't going to want to revise so you'll end up getting a bad grade. If you do have to do it, choose the one that you find most interesting or what you believe will help you out the most in the future.
Last edited by Lydia.Mx; 4 months ago
BowlOfFruit
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
History would have more general applications, geography would be more focused on whatever they do like drawing maps and colouring stuff in.

It really doesn't matter at GCSE, if it's purely a grade you want then do history. But again - GCSEs dont even matter, as long as you're not getting a load of fails. Apart from helping me get into my sixth form college, I can count on one hand the amount of times my GCSE grades were semi-relevant.
Nihilisticb*tch
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Are those your only options? People say history is really hard at GCSE so i would say take Geography.
applesandroses
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nihilisticb*tch)
Are those your only options? People say history is really hard at GCSE so i would say take Geography.
unfortunately they are my only options. thanks!
applesandroses
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hugh's Swan)
Which way are you inclined in terms of later on? Think about what options you might have later for a levels? E.g if you like english, arts, humanities, history might go well later with english and say politics. If you think you might be more science but not the whole hog, geography might go well with maths and economics. That is a useful way of thinking what to choose.
thanks! in terms of what you've said, history sounds better for me.
Infinite Series
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I did both History and Geography at GCSE in 2017 (Old Spec).
I found Geography considerably easier than History, but I don't know how the new exams are like now.

OP, surely you probably do better in one subject over the other? So whichever one you usually perform better in, i'd advise you take that subject.
aliceaquaspirit
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
definitely do Geog. trust me, I'm going history and there's just too much syllabus. unless you are really good at history, do Geog. geography may be more boring but it is easier to revise for, I'm revising for my history mocks now and I just can't do it there's so much -- I got an A* in common entrance but I'm **** at it now, plus there's a load of essays and difficult exam technique.
applesandroses
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Infinite Series)
I did both History and Geography at GCSE in 2017 (Old Spec).
I found Geography considerably easier than History, but I don't know how the new exams are like now.

OP, surely you probably do better in one subject over the other? So whichever one you usually perform better in, i'd advise you take that subject.
thank you!
applesandroses
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by aliceaquaspirit)
definitely do Geog. trust me, I'm going history and there's just too much syllabus. unless you are really good at history, do Geog. geography may be more boring but it is easier to revise for, I'm revising for my history mocks now and I just can't do it there's so much -- I got an A* in common entrance but I'm **** at it now, plus there's a load of essays and difficult exam technique.
ah okay that's really good to know
a cool potato
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Ok, from my experience, geography is mainly learning case studies i.e. learning a lot of facts about something and there were 14 of these case studies (I think) for OCR. Another thing, I learnt all of these case studies on Seneca in 2 weeks so I’d say that Geography is easier and less boring than History.
sqrt of 5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by a cool potato)
Ok, from my experience, geography is mainly learning case studies i.e. learning a lot of facts about something and there were 14 of these case studies (I think) for OCR. Another thing, I learnt all of these case studies on Seneca in 2 weeks so I’d say that Geography is easier and less boring than History.
Yep, I agree. I'm doing both history and geography (both ocr) and geography is way much easier. You still need to learn some facts but with Seneca is super easy!
saarahomer18
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
AQA geography is harder than edexcel history
lara13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I take both. I'd say history is more interesting (I do edexcel) and I genuinely enjoy it. However, the geography exam is easier: the longest essay question you can get is a 9 marker, and there are plenty of 4 markers, 2 markers, and even multiple choice. Both have tons of content to learn.
annabelswann
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'd recommed gerography. I prefer History and think it's more interesting but I found geography significantly easier to learn so if you find them both boring then do geography
anonymous2556
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
geography for sure!! it is so interesting and personally it is my favourite subject the people in my year who take history all hate and regret it so much - definitely do no recommend it from what I have heard!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (45)
60.81%
No (29)
39.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise