Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
B1429 – Student Loan Agreements Bill 2018, TSR Government
A
BILL
TO

prevent retrospective amendments, changes and other manipulations of student loan agreements

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's Most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1(X)Definitions
For the purpose of this Act:-
(X) (1) ‘higher education course’ shall refer to study of one or multiple areas of study, culminating in a formal qualification, typically, at level 6 undertaken at educational establishments dedicated to the provision of aforementioned study.
(X) (2) ‘academic stream’, in relation to higher education courses, shall be taken to disregard technical education, and/or any course to which a formal qualification is not awarded.
(X) (3) ‘tuition fees’ shall refer to the charge incurred due to the undertaking of an academic stream higher education course.
(X) (4) ‘student’ shall refer to any person in the course of undertaking an academic stream higher education course, to which he becomes liable to repay tuition fees.
(X) (5) ‘designated entity’ shall refer to the body corporate, governmental or otherwise, to which Her Majesty’s Government, specifically the Department for Education, has bestowed the responsibility for the provision, supervision, management and collection of tuition fee repayments.

PART I
GENERAL

2(X)General prohibition
(1) No retrospective or retroactive change to the contractual agreements in respect to the financing of higher education, and the repayment of said finance, (“student loans”) between students and the designated entity, acting on behalf of Her Majesty’s Government, or providers of higher education courses may take place, except in the circumstances outlined in section 3.
(2) This shall, herein, be referred to the ‘general prohibition’.
(3) No prospective or provisional contractual agreement in respect to student loans may have terms which stipulate or otherwise knowingly and explicit contradict the general prohibition.
(4) The general prohibition does not, under any circumstance, prevent the designated entity or provider of higher education to issue a new contractual agreement with altered terms on the condition that the student to which the new contractual agreement is issued to is:-
(X) (a) willing to agree to the terms of the new contractual agreement;
(X) (b) understands that he will be unable to revert to the terms of the original agreement;
(X) (c) made aware that he is not obligated to agree to the new contractual agreement, and
(X) (d) made aware that the original contractual agreement stands.

3(X)Exemptions
(1) The general prohibition does not apply:-
(X) (a) during the cooling-off period as stipulated in the contractual agreement, the Consumer Contracts Regulations or the Consumer Rights Act, whichever is greatest;
(X) (b) if the contractual agreement is deemed to have a meaningful and critical error that otherwise compromises the integrity of the entire contractual agreement;
(X) (c) under circumstances where the change to a contractual agreement has been agreed to by the student to whom the change affects;
(X) (d) under circumstances where an Act has been put forward by the Secretary of State for Education before Parliament permitting a specified and restricted change in one or more contractual agreements; and
(X) (e) under circumstances where the change to a contractual agreement can be reasonably expected to benefit the student.
(2) The student retains the right to challenge and otherwise appeal any change made to a contractual agreement under subsections (1)(b) and (1)(e).
(3) Where a change is reasonably expected to occur, the student must receive written notice 30 days prior to said change coming into force.

PART II
CITATION AND COMMENCEMENT

4(X)Citation and Commencement:
(1) This act extends to the whole of the United Kingdom.
(2) This act will come into force upon Royal Assent.
(3) This act may be cited as the Student Loan Agreements Act 2018

Notes
Spoiler:
Show
In order to complement the Department for Education’s Ministerial Report, this Bill proposes the notion that it shall now be prohibited to retroactively or retrospectively alter the terms of repayment or the terms of the student loan finance agreement except in proscribed circumstances. This ensures that students are given peace of mind and stability in the repayment schedule and magnitude.

Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Again with the totally unnecessary parts and one suspects unnecessary definitions, but then it wouldn't be an is bill without padding
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Again with the totally unnecessary parts and one suspects unnecessary definitions, but then it wouldn't be an is bill without padding
Let's look at your personal bill output over the past four years according to the hansard—four in total, two of them co-authored, all of them short repeals.

B818 - Hunting Act Repeal Bill 2015
B892 - The Alternative Tax (Repeal) Bill 2015
B1100 – Crime and Courts Act 2013 (Amendment) Bill 2017
B1427 – Civil Partnerships (Repeal) Bill 2018

I can see why the (co-)author of a few two-minute and mostly failed bills would consider this one too long but fortunately that hasn't been the norm in the MHoC. You've reached a new low, even for yourself. Continously insulting productive members of the community who have invested their time and effort to keeping it afloat only to be scorned by some frustrated antisocial virgin whose only highlight of the day is ‘winning’ an online argument by being annoying to the point everyone else loses interest in continuing the ‘debate’ and then patting oneself on the back for the job well done.

I consider such behaviour abhorrent and detrimental to this community, and I'm not the only one by far who's reached this conclusion according to what I've heard. I thus call upon all members of the MHoC and especially party leaders to refrain from responding to your constant waves of nothing but arrogant self-centred criticism, often targeting members personally in a humiliating manner both here and on Discord, at least until you change your tone.

----

Stop giving him the drug he craves—attention. I'm not bothered by what he says to me but I do mind that this frustrated screeching has become the main theme of the MHoC and members see no point in trying if all they're going to get is contempt from some arrogant hypocrite with a big mouth and tiny muscles. I'm certainly done with this after the response to our latest batch of bills and the trash talk on Discord and if you still care about the future of the MHoC, so should you.

cc Saracen's Fez RayApparently Saoirse:3 Eppeb RedLuxemburg ns_2 CoffeeGeek Rakas21
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
This bill is in cessation.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Division! Clear the lobbies!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (137)
14.41%
I'm not sure (42)
4.42%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (286)
30.07%
I have already dropped out (24)
2.52%
I'm not a current university student (462)
48.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise