The Student Room Group

GCSE An Inspector Calls Help

An inspector calls
I didn't study this text for GCSE, so I can't give you material that's purely my own (or my school's). But here are some suggestions.

websites:

Bitesize
SparkNotes
GradeSaver

film-related activities:

- find productions of the play, and the directors' notes for them
- find articles about the play (e.g. this one from the British Library)
- watch the film or program, and see how it's brought to life

note-taking/noting down quotes:

- try to find short and memorable quotes (easier said than done, but it's worth saying)
- even one word will count, as long as you can explain it
- and it's ok to paraphrase if you forget the exact words - just remember to include quotes somewhere else
- it can help to pick quotes from key episodes - those are the ones you'll probably remember the most context for, and so it'll be easiest to explain how your quotes affect the listener's perception of what's going on

things to watch out for (when writing an essay, or gathering thoughts about the play):

- it's a play! this means that whoever's reacting to the text when it's performed will be at least a listener, if not a viewer
- as well as that, knowing it's a play gives you room to explore different ways to perform, (e.g. using stage directions), ways to speak, and ways to display the world outside the characters

and with a question you might be given:
- if writing about a character, try to include interactions with other characters, how they relate to major themes, where they would have stood in their time, and what they might have represented, along with their personality and actions
- if writing about a theme, try to address how the characters are involved with (or how they're affected by) it, and see if you can relate that theme to other themes - this could be because of the characters' actions, or there could be a conflict of themes in the world of the play

lastly, just a reminder that you don't need to write or know too much. see what you can do when you aren't under stress, see how far you can carry your ideas, and you'll be fine! i hope your study goes well :smile:
Original post by Beelllaaaa
An inspector calls

what specifically? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending