The Student Room Group

Is the first year of uni easier than the last year of A-levels?

If so, how much by and why?
It's not.
Reply 2
Original post by Jackudy3

1000% depends on your course and A-levels.
Reply 3
Original post by Ak4753
1000% depends on your course and A-levels.

Will be studying Computer Science.

A-levels are CompSci, Maths and History.
Reply 4
Original post by Goz Unlimited
It's not.

Why not?
Depends what course you do. 1st year Arts degrees are generally easier than a levels but 1st year science degrees are equally as hard if not harder than a levels
Yep I found it a lot easier because you don't have to memorise as much. You just have to learn how to write good essays, and there's less pressure.
Original post by theflyingepergne
Depends what course you do. 1st year Arts degrees are generally easier than a levels but 1st year science degrees are equally as hard if not harder than a levels

Not necessarily, i do design at uni and first year was much harder than a-levels as there was a bunch of new software to learn and a load more content and coursework than at a-level
Reply 8
Will be studying Computer Science.

A-levels are CompSci, Maths and History.

Lol I doubt it for comp sci. Even with those A-Levels, I doubt it.
Reply 9
Original post by theflyingepergne

Honestly, I've read ahead to some of the CS content I'll be covering, and if I don't already know it then it comes across as stuff I would easily pick up given a whole year of teaching and focusing on only one subject.

Maybe I'm missing something? :confused:
Why not?

More content. More difficult content. Content taught to you in a shorter amount of time, therefore more independent learning required. Requires you to develop new ways of thinking. Etc. [from a maths pov]

No, unless you are doing an easy course
LOL - the first year of undergrad makes A levels look like an evening leisure course!

I'm a second year at uni studying Law with Criminology. Personally, I found first year of my undergraduate easier than my second year of A-levels. I studied Psychology, Sociology and Law at A-level
Reply 14
Original post by beth_marsden
I'm a second year at uni studying Law with Criminology. Personally, I found first year of my undergraduate easier than my second year of A-levels. I studied Psychology, Sociology and Law at A-level

Honestly didn't know Law was taught at A-level. It certainly isn't at my centre.

The impression I'm getting is that whether you find it more difficult or not is impossible to predict; it's a purely individual thing.
Reply 15
Content wise, definitely not. There was a very huge leap in difficulty from the start of the course to the end, and so much more to learn. From my experience with A2, there was so much more stress and pressure put on you to succeed by teachers and everyone else. There were also pointless my sixth form did that prevented a lot of us from studying effectively and we relied more on our teachers. A-levels relied heavily on memorisation and routine, whereas for my degree (Maths) we HAVE TO use our initiative, creativity and intelligence in answering questions.

If I were to sit A-levels exams I am confident that I can achieve A/A* very easily than me trying to secure 2.1in all my exams in uni.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest