The Student Room Group

What do I do

Ok so this might be a bit long but I really need some advice and I’m not really sure what to do so im hoping somebody will be able to give me a little bit of advice or something.

So a bit of background, I’ve been at the local hospital on part of a medical work placement. Just general stuff shadowing one of the doctors and sitting in for clinic, nothing that special really. So one day I’m at a nurses station and they’re doing some sort of drug count. They were counting out pills from each container and recording it all, but then one of the pager things went off and they had to go and see to it so she just said I’ll be back soon. I think she thought I was a medical student or something because she just left me there. Anyway so I was lookimg at the containers and one of them says something like morphine sulfate. Now my sister is disabled she has to use a wheelchair and has chronic back pain. The painkillers prescribed from the gp don’t really do anything to help the pain and she tried to get stronger ones but they didn’t do anything. She’s even used cannabis before and that has helped but small problem- it’s illegal. She’s often trying not to scream because she’s in so much pain.

Honestly I don’t know what came over me at that moment but I just grabbed the bottle and put it in my pocket and just hid it. When the nurse came back she quickly noticed but I pretended not to know it was gone. The police were then called as it was a fair amount and a controlled drug. they started asking people questions and stuff. When they asked me I said a man came up to the desk to ask for directions but I said I didn’t know and that maybe he took them without me knowing. This part did actually happen someone did come up shortly afterwards, so I just described them.

They then identified him on cctv downstairs and found his license plate and tracked him down. Today when I came to the hospital one of the nurses said police had confronted the man and asked him to come in for questioning. I’m really worried theyll find out. My sister has had some of the pills though and she said they’re really good and helping. I don’t know what to do should I just put it back where I found it or phone the police or something? I really regret doing this I know it was really stupid I don’t know what’s came over me or what happened at the time I just need some advice please

Scroll to see replies

..um wouldn't it be good if you talk to your work placement and say that you took it etc....
Reply 2
Original post by Will823
Ok so this might be a bit long but I really need some advice and I’m not really sure what to do so im hoping somebody will be able to give me a little bit of advice or something.

So a bit of background, I’ve been at the local hospital on part of a medical work placement. Just general stuff shadowing one of the doctors and sitting in for clinic, nothing that special really. So one day I’m at a nurses station and they’re doing some sort of drug count. They were counting out pills from each container and recording it all, but then one of the pager things went off and they had to go and see to it so she just said I’ll be back soon. I think she thought I was a medical student or something because she just left me there. Anyway so I was lookimg at the containers and one of them says something like morphine sulfate. Now my sister is disabled she has to use a wheelchair and has chronic back pain. The painkillers prescribed from the gp don’t really do anything to help the pain and she tried to get stronger ones but they didn’t do anything. She’s even used cannabis before and that has helped but small problem- it’s illegal. She’s often trying not to scream because she’s in so much pain.

Honestly I don’t know what came over me at that moment but I just grabbed the bottle and put it in my pocket and just hid it. When the nurse came back she quickly noticed but I pretended not to know it was gone. The police were then called as it was a fair amount and a controlled drug. they started asking people questions and stuff. When they asked me I said a man came up to the desk to ask for directions but I said I didn’t know and that maybe he took them without me knowing. This part did actually happen someone did come up shortly afterwards, so I just described them.

They then identified him on cctv downstairs and found his license plate and tracked him down. Today when I came to the hospital one of the nurses said police had confronted the man and asked him to come in for questioning. I’m really worried theyll find out. My sister has had some of the pills though and she said they’re really good and helping. I don’t know what to do should I just put it back where I found it or phone the police or something? I really regret doing this I know it was really stupid I don’t know what’s came over me or what happened at the time I just need some advice please

It is extremely likely that they will find out that it is you who stole the pills. I really don't know why anyone in the right mind would jeopardise a whole career for a few tablets. I'm afraid the reality of the situation is that you did something stupid and you'll have to face the consequences.
Reply 3
Original post by JoshuaRussell16
It is extremely likely that they will find out that it is you who stole the pills. I really don't know why anyone in the right mind would jeopardise a whole career for a few tablets. I'm afraid the reality of the situation is that you did something stupid and you'll have to face the consequences.

Thanks for the reply but how will they find out it was me? Like the guy they were questioning will obviously be proven to be innocent with no evidence so they’ll be ok and they won’t know it was me
You’re in a whole heap of trouble. If investigations continue then there’s a likelihood that they’ll view more cctv and you’ll be seen anyway. The nurse who left you is also for the high jump.
The longer you leave it the worse it will be. You’ve already caused damage to the man you accused and wasted police time. You may have had the best intentions but you’ve stolen a controlled drug and lied. As well as perverted the course of justice.
It’s not good
You need to confess ASAP and plead mitigating circumstances. But you can kiss goodbye to a medical career
Reply 5
Original post by tamil fever
..um wouldn't it be good if you talk to your work placement and say that you took it etc....

But then they’ll know it was me and what if they don’t believe me that I got it for my sister
Reply 6
Original post by Will823
Thanks for the reply but how will they find out it was me? Like the guy they were questioning will obviously be proven to be innocent with no evidence so they’ll be ok and they won’t know it was me

I wouldn't be surprised if a place where controlled substances are kept is monitored by CCTV. If not then you are the only person in the immediate vicinity at the time that they went missing and they will likely question you.
Reply 7
???
Reply 8
Original post by Sammylou40
You’re in a whole heap of trouble. If investigations continue then there’s a likelihood that they’ll view more cctv and you’ll be seen anyway. The nurse who left you is also for the high jump.
The longer you leave it the worse it will be. You’ve already caused damage to the man you accused and wasted police time. You may have had the best intentions but you’ve stolen a controlled drug and lied. As well as perverted the course of justice.
It’s not good
You need to confess ASAP and plead mitigating circumstances. But you can kiss goodbye to a medical career

Is there no way I can just give the pills back somehow and not have to tell them I feel really bad but obviously I don’t want to jepardise doing medicine is there anything else I can do
Reply 9
Original post by JoshuaRussell16
I wouldn't be surprised if a place where controlled substances are kept is monitored by CCTV. If not then you are the only person in the immediate vicinity at the time that they went missing and they will likely question you.

There were other people wondering around it wasn’t busy but not completely empty either. Could I say I went to the toilet or something?
All actions have consequences. Think before you act.
Reply 11
Original post by Will823
???

Situational judgement test. It is part of the UKCAT I think.

Anyway, this might not be legal but it is your best bet. I would go back to the said room and put the bottle under a counter/bed (hidden out of sight). Eventually, someone will find it and you might get away with it.
Reply 12
Original post by Will823
There were other people wondering around it wasn’t busy but not completely empty either. Could I say I went to the toilet or something
The more that you lie, the worse the consequences will b

The more that you lie, the worse the consequences will be.
I understand how you’re feeling but the solution isn’t yet more deception.
You’ve been given different advice and you’re going to have to judge which suits you best.
Whatever you do you’re the one that has to live with your conscience.
Reply 14
Can’t they track the letter from where it was sent or the post box it was sent from
Reply 15
Original post by Guarddyyy
All actions have consequences. Think before you act.

I know they do I don’t know what I was thinking I really regret it now I just want to put the pills back
Reply 16
Original post by Yandex
Situational judgement test. It is part of the UKCAT I think.

Anyway, this might not be legal but it is your best bet. I would go back to the said room and put the bottle under a counter/bed (hidden out of sight). Eventually, someone will find it and you might get away with it.

Thanks, what about the toilets? I think most of the beds are being used and it might be easier to hide it in the toilets somewhere
Reply 17
Isn’t there any way I can deal with this and put them back without being found out? :frown:
Tomorrow you should speak to the head doctor/nurse. It might be scary, but as people said above. the longer you leave it, the worse it will get.
Reply 19
Original post by Sammylou40
I understand how you’re feeling but the solution isn’t yet more deception.
You’ve been given different advice and you’re going to have to judge which suits you best.
Whatever you do you’re the one that has to live with your conscience.

I feel bad for lying about the guy at the desk but honestly it’s the nurse who’s in the wrong if anything. Do you think I could hint about her leaving it and not paying attention just so the focus is moved off of me?

Quick Reply

Latest