username2620087
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I feel scammed tbh after seeing 9k go to uni and in return we only get 12 hours contact time?? And method of teaching is ridiculous and outdated, powerpoint? Really? for computer science courses wouldn't it make sense for more up to date teaching on theory based modules?
Joe1000000
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What more are you expecting? 12 hours a week is a lot more than a lot of courses offer, some humanities subjects may only offer 3-4 hours a week. You ay £9k a year to gain access to the facilities and knowledge that the uni provides, the emphasis is on you to use those resources.

In regards to your point about powerpoints, how else would you sugggest they lecture?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BlizyBoy)
I feel scammed tbh after seeing 9k go to uni and in return we only get 12 hours contact time?? And method of teaching is ridiculous and outdated, powerpoint? Really? for computer science courses wouldn't it make sense for more up to date teaching on theory based modules?
Dont go then? Did you do any research beforehand? Why not teach yourself?
quirky editor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Dont go then? Did you do any research beforehand? Why not teach yourself?
Hi in pretty much the same situation. Do you think the uni would have an issue with not going?
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Because university doesn't spoon-feed you like A-Levels or GCSEs does. Welcome to reality.

You're meant to do a lot of self-study outside of lectures, I believe it's like over 4 times the amount compared to the lectures you get.

For the record, I had no prior experience with Computer science and I coped just fine (got a first overall). You need to put in the effort to get something out of it.
winterscoming
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What do you mean by 'up-to-date teaching'? Could you give an example?
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by quirky editor)
Hi in pretty much the same situation. Do you think the uni would have an issue with not going?
Describe your situation?

The only time the uni will have an issue with you not going is where you have made a contract with them, you have started the course and owe them money.

If you are not obligated, then then you can cancel and the uni wont care whether you go or not.

Its then up to you to find another uni or an alternative.
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The whole idea of uni is that you're an adult who does the bulk of their learning via extra reading, your own research etc. It's very different to A Levels where you're spoonfed out of a textbook and just regurgitate answers for the exams. The only way you're going to get the top grades is by putting in the effort by studying outside of lectures and seminars, it's that straightforward. I mean, how do you think Masters and Doctorates work?
BFG9000
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

This is pretty much why it does not matter at which uni you study anymore. They all provide just a basic framework for you to help yourself via the internet. Especially when it comes to CS where apart of calculus they don't have much to give you anyway. You can always find a better presentation online and mix and match whatever you need.
RenéDescartes
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Go to Oxbridge; they have 1-2 on 1 tutorials so you will feel like your money is being well-spent. They also give you accomodation.
Unknown-99
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You are a customer to the uni just like every other student. If they could charge even more than £9k then they would.
bigger niche
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I feel scammed tbh after seeing 9k go to uni and in return we only get 12 hours contact time??
Would you feel only half as scammed if your number of taught hours and independent study hours were doubled?

A third as much if both were tripled?

And what do you expect would happen if the time you spent in lectures and seminars and engaged in independent study was doubled?

Would you know twice as much?

Would you get doubly good grades?
Duncan2012
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Don't like what you're getting for your 9k? Leave. Go get a job.

Not a graduate job though. You need a degree for those.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
And how else do you expect them to teach a class of 100+?
SomeWelshGuy123
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
12 hours is a lot. Most people I know get less than 10.
1secondsofvamps
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Tbf i see where op is coming from. For over 9k a year you would expect more from the uni.

But as uni is mainly independent work, they can't really spoon-feed us and provide more contact hours.

Its good that you want to learn more and get more out of uni.
Honestly some of you dont need to be so harsh towards op.
Unknown-99
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
Tbf i see where op is coming from. For over 9k a year you would expect more from the uni.

But as uni is mainly independent work, they can't really spoon-feed us and provide more contact hours.

Its good that you want to learn more and get more out of uni.
Honestly some of you dont need to be so harsh towards op.
People are being harsh to the OP because they're probably the type of people who think he is "lucky" to be at university and therefore should never complain. If someone is in university it's because they have earned the right to be there by working hard in school there's nothing lucky about it. Education up to academy level is a right. A university education is not a right it's something you earn but some people still call students "lucky."
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's always the STEM lot whinging about contact time on here, I note.
wonderuss
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by UWS)
Because university doesn't spoon-feed you like A-Levels or GCSEs does. Welcome to reality.
I love this about uni tbh. Just really suits how I like to work.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by wonderuss)
I love this about uni tbh. Just really suits how I like to work.
Yeah, it suited me straight from the off, too.

I didn't even bother with dissertation meetings at BA and MA level, and I didn't have any in the writing up period of my PhD either. Leave me to it and I shall get it done.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Chester
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • Kingston University London
    All faculties involved Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (243)
54%
18-20 years old (no) (57)
12.67%
20-25 years old (yes) (74)
16.44%
20-25 years old (no) (9)
2%
25-30 years old (yes) (24)
5.33%