The Student Room Group

I Drive Trains for a Living. AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AnharM
That's brilliant.
You say you always have 3 days off? Alternating days or can you have 2 consecutive days off?

For example;

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday on shift. Friday, Saturday, Sunday off shift.
Reply 41
Original post by Balloon Baboon
For example;

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday on shift. Friday, Saturday, Sunday off shift.

3 day weekend. Wow, you are so lucky.
Original post by AnharM
3 day weekend. Wow, you are so lucky.

It variates. You don’t get every weekend off. You could have Mon, Tues, Wed off etc
Our average working week is 36 hours.

We always start and finish at my station (Leeds)

Shifts variate in duration (maximum 10 hours) and you always have at least 3 days off during the week.

How often do you travel over 40 hours a week?

What is better between driving national rail vs tube?

Can you just play on your phone on a long journey?
How's the view from the front? I've always wanted to sit up front with the driver and enjoy the countryside views when I'm on a long train journey.
Original post by Skyewoods
How often do you travel over 40 hours a week?

What is better between driving national rail vs tube?

Can you just play on your phone on a long journey?

Some weeks you can work up to 45 hours then the next week may only be 25.

I’ve never driven tube. But they aren’t really the Railway.

No, you’re not allowed your phone or any electrical device on whilst operating a train

Original post by VETwannabe
How's the view from the front? I've always wanted to sit up front with the driver and enjoy the countryside views when I'm on a long train journey.

It’s great! 🙂
salary?
Original post by tom123h456
salary?

Depends which train operating company you work for. As a senior driver salary is 60k basic for me.

Trainees start on 22k on a 2 year course
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 48
what will you do once robots take over your job? self driving trains
Original post by Svesh
what will you do once robots take over your job? self driving trains

I’ll be dead way before that happens 😉
Depends which train operating company you work for. As a senior driver salary is 60k basic for me.

Trainees start on 22k on a 2 year course

that is a nice salary how long have you ben a driver for
Original post by tom123h456
that is a nice salary how long have you ben a driver for

I’ve only been driving for 3 years. Absolutely love my career!
I’ve only been driving for 3 years. Absolutely love my career!

You've probably inspired a whole new generation of train drivers. 60k after only 3 years?!! That's amazing!

Have you seen the movie "unstoppable", about a runaway train - Starring Chris Pine and Denzel Washington? If so, what do you think of it? (It's one of my favorites)
Original post by VETwannabe
You've probably inspired a whole new generation of train drivers. 60k after only 3 years?!! That's amazing!

Have you seen the movie "unstoppable", about a runaway train - Starring Chris Pine and Denzel Washington? If so, what do you think of it? (It's one of my favorites)

Indeed the salary is very good (I live in the North so London will be much higher). Also, if you work for LNER their drivers are on 68-71k a year outside London.

I’ve not seen it, but it’s pretty much impossible for one of our trains to run away 😁
I’m bored at work! 😂

Are you still a student whilst working on the trains?
Original post by ManicDrBeatles
Are you still a student whilst working on the trains?

No I have a 2.1 in Psychology but I am looking to do a Railway Degree in a few years time. 🙂
you're making so much money wow. i'm sure this thread will inspire someone out there.

my questions are:
whats the saddest story you've heard on your railway about someone throwing themselves on the tracks?

how many weeks off do you get?

are there any cons about the job?
Original post by Secretnerd123
you're making so much money wow. i'm sure this thread will inspire someone out there.

my questions are:
whats the saddest story you've heard on your railway about someone throwing themselves on the tracks?

how many weeks off do you get?

are there any cons about the job?

To inspire someone to join the Railway would be a great thing, it really is a great job.

Unfortunately this time of year brings many sad stories, most of which won’t be reported. I don’t really want to go into detail but suicides ramp up from October to February every year.

The job can be stressful when things go wrong. Not really a con but just the job
To inspire someone to join the Railway would be a great thing, it really is a great job.

Unfortunately this time of year brings many sad stories, most of which won’t be reported. I don’t really want to go into detail but suicides ramp up from October to February every year.

The job can be stressful when things go wrong. Not really a con but just the job

why do train drivers make more money than teachers :frown:
Original post by Secretnerd123
why do train drivers make more money than teachers :frown:

It’s due to the training and responsibilities I think. We can go to prison pretty quickly if we don’t do certain things correctly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending