BrumaLord
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello everyone. With the 2018 HAT test just around the corner, I have been experimenting with numerous techniques. I know that everyone says that there is no set structure to do well in the test, but there must be a few fundamental aspects. Should I include an introduction and what should be in it? What themes should my paragraphs be based on? Are there any other general tips?

Many thanks and good luck!
JEG666
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm taking the HAT test next week too and I guess it depends on the extract for how I would structure it but I think i would do a little intro with some general observations and then my paragraphs would be main points answering the question then maybe a concluding paragraph just coming back to the question once more... but i'm not too sure
Lemon1806
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Im not applying to oxford, but my history teacher gives lessons on admissions assessments for both cambridge and oxford applicants and when he’s been coaching oxford applicants he has suggested an intro, three main paragraphs then a conclusion:
the first two main paras should be on the two main areas of the source (eg one practice paper was an extract from a letter by an 11 year old girl and he said the first two paras should be one on family and one on society at that time)
The final main paragraph apparently should be one on the limitations of the source eg who it was written by, its target audience, what type of source etc
Again, this is only what I’ve gathered from listening to my teacher coaching Oxford applicants, but I hope that’s helpful

EDIT: this is for question two. I have no idea about the rest of the paper
rubiemayy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would 100% have an introduction, with your egenral answer and then what you are going to look at in each parahgraph, which should be focused points on answering the questions. This is just based on what I have read in the mark schemes and heard from workshops. If you have 3 or 4 areas that adress the question ( it often asks what something shows about something) then you can pick a few things the extract shows in answer of the question and explore them in depth.
Good luck everyone!
(Original post by BrumaLord)
Hello everyone. With the 2018 HAT test just around the corner, I have been experimenting with numerous techniques. I know that everyone says that there is no set structure to do well in the test, but there must be a few fundamental aspects. Should I include an introduction and what should be in it? What themes should my paragraphs be based on? Are there any other general tips?

Many thanks and good luck!
Thomasricci
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello! The structure of the essay will depend on the question that is asked. We could suppose that the question is gonna be some sort of analytical query since the university is looking for students with analytical capacities. Therefore, I would start the essay with a general approach followed by paragraphs that will explore themes, point of views or arguments in order to answer the question in the most relevant way using discriminating evidence. Hope this is useful to anyone sitting the HAT next week.
greenBird17
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I went to the open day and they said that it should be ordered via themes you pick out and that these should be outlined in a short intro
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (47)
15.93%
I'm not sure (8)
2.71%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (101)
34.24%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.36%
I'm not a current university student (135)
45.76%

Watched Threads