Southampton GEM A101 / BM4 Applicants 2019 Watch

DarioSanchez
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi folks,

I see there's a general thread on medicine entry for Southampton but none specifically for the graduate entry course.

I'm currently on medical sabbatical for the year but will be going back in September 2019 to start again in 1st year - I'm happy to answer any questions you have on the course and life in Southampton as best I can.

Good luck with your applications as well!
Jsheridan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I was actually looking for this thread! Lol I applied here with a ukcat of 717.5 average 2870 total. I think I might be borderline but the deciles dropped this year so idk. Any thoughts on my chances? (I do fulfill the academic criteria!)
Chilledice
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I'm also applying to Southampton BM4! Good luck everyone

(Original post by Jsheridan)
...ukcat of 717.5 average 2870 total.
Snap on the UKCAT! I'm also at 2870!
Last edited by Chilledice; 4 months ago
Jsheridan
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Chilledice)
I'm also applying to Southampton BM4! Good luck everyone

Snap on the UKCAT! I'm also at 2870!
Fingers crossed for both of us
bk95
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi guys I've also applied to Southampton for BM4, and scored 3030 in the UKCAT

All the best
Jsheridan
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Does anyone know when they might be sending out interview invites?
gem-101
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Does anyone know when they might be sending out interview invites?
I believe last year it was early Jan but they held them early Feb. So maybe end of Dec?? (As they’re on 30/31st Jan)
Jsheridan
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by gem-101)
I believe last year it was early Jan but they held them early Feb. So maybe end of Dec?? (As they’re on 30/31st Jan)
I emailed earlier and they said 2-3 weeks
gem-101
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I emailed earlier and they said 2-3 weeks
Oh fab thanks!!
djfc12345
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
good luck all of you. I am thinking of applying for the 2020 entry, if I can get on to an Access Course (or get a Chemistry A level). Has anyone else applied through that route or do you all have Chemistry A Level (Biology/Chem AS) already? Also - any tips for preparing for the UKCAT? I did a mini mock the other day, first time I'd ever seen it on the TMP Site and somehow got an average of 635 but most of that was pure guesswork (and not time limited either). Did any of you attend a UKCAT preparation course or access paid online support? TIA for any help/advice and hope you get offered interviews soon :-)
bk95
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by djfc12345)
good luck all of you. I am thinking of applying for the 2020 entry, if I can get on to an Access Course (or get a Chemistry A level). Has anyone else applied through that route or do you all have Chemistry A Level (Biology/Chem AS) already? Also - any tips for preparing for the UKCAT? I did a mini mock the other day, first time I'd ever seen it on the TMP Site and somehow got an average of 635 but most of that was pure guesswork (and not time limited either). Did any of you attend a UKCAT preparation course or access paid online support? TIA for any help/advice and hope you get offered interviews soon :-)
I used medify to prep for about 3 weeks before sitting my UKCAT (though I used it during practically all of my free time, and on the way to+from work) and found it immensely helpful, especially with AR as the time constraints are so tight
It’s also helpful to get used to the online calculator for DM/QR as knowing shortcuts on that will save you so much time (though I didn’t bother with MR, M+ etc as I found them confusing) - and two habits I had to develop were to avoid double checking every step of my work as was just too time consuming, and if at first glance a question looked long or difficult, just to mark a random answer, flag it and move on as there’ll inevitably be easier questions, and (as far as I’m aware) no one question has greater weighting than another in that same section

All the best for next year 🙂
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Jsheridan
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I don't think there are access courses for GEM?
djfc12345
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by bk95)
I used medify to prep for about 3 weeks before sitting my UKCAT (though I used it during practically all of my free time, and on the way to+from work) and found it immensely helpful, especially with AR as the time constraints are so tight
It’s also helpful to get used to the online calculator for DM/QR as knowing shortcuts on that will save you so much time (though I didn’t bother with MR, M+ etc as I found them confusing) - and two habits I had to develop were to avoid double checking every step of my work as was just too time consuming, and if at first glance a question looked long or difficult, just to mark a random answer, flag it and move on as there’ll inevitably be easier questions, and (as far as I’m aware) no one question has greater weighting than another in that same section

All the best for next year 🙂
Thank you - that's really helpful. I'm fortunate that I have a good while to prepare as I won't be taking the UKCAT until next summer, but I'm very rusty at these types of tests, so want to study regularly until I've really got the hang of it! I am especially struggling with maths (so long since I took my GCSE) so if there are any sites that are clear on which equations / formulae / conversions I should learn then I'd really value that. But those tips are great, thank you. I hope you hear back soon with an interview offer!
djfc12345
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I don't think there are access courses for GEM?
thanks for the message. there are, not many, and they're very competitive to get onto apparently, but UKCAT is the first hurdle! good luck with your application.
Jsheridan
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
thanks for the message. there are, not many, and they're very competitive to get onto apparently, but UKCAT is the first hurdle! good luck with your application.
Could you link me to Southamptons? I'd like to read more as as far as I was aware the only access one they had was BM4. Unless you mean the courses one can take before university
djfc12345
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thanks. It’s not at the Uni - it’s an Access course at college for people without the necessary qualifications to get on the BM4. Good luck!
Jsheridan
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thanks. It’s not at the Uni - it’s an Access course at college for people without the necessary qualifications to get on the BM4. Good luck!
In that case I'd advice contacting them directly, they seem quite stringent on A level chemistry (or international equivalent) in their selection criteria and I'm unsure if an access course would be considered equivalent. If it helps I'm more than certain one could take A level chemistry before the date you stated and get the required grade
DarioSanchez
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Does anyone know when they migIht be sending out interview invites?
If I remember right ours were sent around the turn of the year, with the interviews being held early February (conveniently Warwick and Newcastle had theirs the same week so I was able to do a wee tour of Britain), so I wouldn't stress hugely if you don't hear until 2019.

Happy to answer any other questions about Southampton and BM4 here folks!
DarioSanchez
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I was actually looking for this thread! Lol I applied here with a ukcat of 717.5 average 2870 total. I think I might be borderline but the deciles dropped this year so idk. Any thoughts on my chances? (I do fulfill the academic criteria!)
Also meant to add - you've a decent chance with those scores, mine weren't much higher than that
Jsheridan
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by DarioSanchez)
Also meant to add - you've a decent chance with those scores, mine weren't much higher than that
May I ask what your ukcat was and what year? If you even remember Haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (150)
18.59%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.79%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (138)
17.1%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.13%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.79%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise