The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

A Week in the Life: Warwick edition (see first post)

English Lit & Creative Writing would be good, if anyone can cover that...

Scroll to see replies

1st Year Maths.

Terms 1&2:

I had about 25 hours of lectures, 3 of support classes (1 teacher, about 30 students booked in, many less actually showed up), 2 of supervisions (1 4th year, 4 students, although there was usually 1/2/3 there). I occasionally went to a supervision, went to the odd support class when it for a hard module, and went to about 20 hours of lectures. Some were skippable as you can buy the notes and go through them by yourself/flick through for the first time the week before an exam. I had 9am lectures most days as they try to timetable later years modules for later in the day as they have to travel in and we're on campus. Irrritatingly, they don't have the lectures in a block, they were spaced from 9 - 7 with a few hours in between each. Plus my programming classes were 7-9pm!

Typically, I'd have 2 assignment sheets due in Monday, one Thursday and a test on Friday. All of which count towards my degree in some small way (year one is worth 10%, assignments/tests are worth about 15% of the year) so have to be done well. The weekend and wednesday afternoons (when there aren't ever lectures) would be spent working solidly. I often worked in the evenings too.

Term 3:

No lectures. Some useful revision lectures, 1 or 2 per course. Most of the time spent messing around doing nothing, until 6 weeks in when mad revision started. Then 2 weeks of absolutely nothing at the end of term.

Social Stuff

There is Top Banana, an event in the Union Monday nights which is £1 entry, £1 drinks which i usually went to. Then Thursdays the pub Varsity which is on the edge of campus has £1 entry, £1 drinks which is also a good night but not a nightclubby one. The union has various other events as do places in Coventry/Leamington Spa but these are more expensive and you have to bus to Cov/Leam and taxi back which is costly. Twice a week was enough for me! I don't do anything with societies much although they are good. I dabbled with cheerleading, pole dancing, rock climbing (AMAZING indoors wall) and I go to Christian Union stuff a fair bit which are excellent even for the nonreligious. They do nice things for people like give out free hot chocolate after Top B which is great for the cold walk back to halls!
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
princess1729
1st Year Maths.

Terms 1&2:

I had about 25 hours of lectures, 3 of support classes (1 teacher, about 30 students booked in, many less actually showed up), 2 of supervisions (1 4th year, 4 students, although there was usually 1/2/3 there). I occasionally went to a supervision, went to the odd support class when it for a hard module, and went to about 20 hours of lectures. Some were skippable as you can buy the notes and go through them by yourself/flick through for the first time the week before an exam. I had 9am lectures most days as they try to timetable later years modules for later in the day as they have to travel in and we're on campus. Irrritatingly, they don't have the lectures in a block, they were spaced from 9 - 7 with a few hours in between each. Plus my programming classes were 7-9pm!

Typically, I'd have 2 assignment sheets due in Monday, one Thursday and a test on Friday. All of which count towards my degree in some small way (year one is worth 10%, assignments/tests are worth about 15% of the year) so have to be done well. The weekend and wednesday afternoons (when there aren't ever lectures) would be spent working solidly. I often worked in the evenings too.

Term 3:

No lectures. Some useful revision lectures, 1 or 2 per course. Most of the time spent messing around doing nothing, until 6 weeks in when mad revision started. Then 2 weeks of absolutely nothing at the end of term.

Social Stuff

There is Top Banana, an event in the Union Monday nights which is £1 entry, £1 drinks which i usually went to. Then Thursdays the pub Varsity which is on the edge of campus has £1 entry, £1 drinks which is also a good night but not a nightclubby one. The union has various other events as do places in Coventry/Leamington Spa but these are more expensive and you have to bus to Cov/Leam and taxi back which is costly. Twice a week was enough for me! I don't do anything with societies much although they are good. I dabbled with cheerleading, pole dancing, rock climbing (AMAZING indoors wall) and I go to Christian Union stuff a fair bit which are excellent even for the nonreligious. They do nice things for people like give out free hot chocolate after Top B which is great for the cold walk back to halls!

sounds like a lot of work, will you get a first with this much effort ? (thanks as well :smile:
Reply 3
Totally Tom
sounds like a lot of work

It's nothing compared to the 2nd year! But it's definitely worth it.
Totally Tom
sounds like a lot of work, will you get a first with this much effort ? (thanks as well :smile:

No, I got a 2:1 :frown:

I was most probably capable of getting a first, I'd been getting 90odd percent in assigment sheets. I made some daft module choices, have been constantly ill all term, and didn't get more than 4 or 5 hours sleep most nights. I had energy tablets before hand but an hour in to each exam I was a sleepy confused mess, which affected my marks somewhat, I was at firsts in the short exams and terrible in the long ones.

So people in general be warned! I found once I got here, minus a physics A level that people take physics modules for easy marks, and ones from buisness too. Also I lived in westwood, my hall has 26 people on my floor many of whom were doing far less work and so enjoyed staying up shrieking until 3am then another load got up at 7:30 and banged on their nearby friends doors very loudly to wake them up. Just so you know, I would still chose to live there, I'd definitely recommend living in a larger hall, the first year for making friends more than working :smile:
princess1729

I was most probably capable of getting a first, I'd been getting 90odd percent in assigment sheets. I made some daft module choices, have been constantly ill all term, and didn't get more than 4 or 5 hours sleep most nights. I had energy tablets before hand but an hour in to each exam I was a sleepy confused mess, which affected my marks somewhat, I was at firsts in the short exams and terrible in the long ones.

So people in general be warned! I found once I got here, minus a physics A level that people take physics modules for easy marks, and ones from buisness too. Also I lived in westwood, my hall has 26 people on my floor many of whom were doing far less work and so enjoyed staying up shrieking until 3am then another load got up at 7:30 and banged on their nearby friends doors very loudly to wake them up. Just so you know, I would still chose to live there, I'd definitely recommend living in a larger hall, the first year for making friends more than working :smile:

Which block are you in?
Loxley AKA the best block ever :P.
Reply 7
princess1729

Don't worry about it. I got a 2.1 in my first year as well, and it was also due to bad module choices (I shouldn't have taken physics modules :s-smilie:). I was really pissed off by it and consequentially worked my arse off in my 2nd year/chose my module choices wisely. I ended up getting 78% :biggrin:
Reply 8
I'll give a out a tip for third year Maths students: If you're not sure whether to do three or four years, decide ASAP. I finally decided in the second term that I didn't want to do the fourth year (if only because all but one of the fourth year courses I tried out were piss-poor), but in order to try all the modules I did I had to sacrifice trying some third year modules I might have been better suited to. I easily got 80% on half my modules, but because I got a couple of really crap marks and because I couldn't overCAT much I "only" came out with ~75%, which I was kinda disappointed with.

DON'T, under ANY circumstances, do Functional Analysis II. I'd avoid Measure Theory as well; it's a nice enough module but the exam tends to be hideous.
Reply 9
any people doing accounting and finance??
Reply 10
Economics 1st Year

Term 1:

About 12 hours of lectures plus about 5 or 6 hours of seminars a week. First two weeks of actual lectures start off really slow and easy. It almost feels like you have nothing to do. But then all the lectures speed up incredibly and the work piles on. A typical week id say, is to go to about half of the lectures and definitely all the seminary. Every lecturer puts in-depth notes on the internet, which makes it very easy to catch up on whatever you misssed. After about 3 weeks you realize that for many lectures it is really not necessary to go. On the other hand, seminars are extremeyl important and very very useful, as they really explain what was taught in the lectures, and also give help for all the weekly assignments. Most modules will have weekly, or bi-weekly assignements (some assessed, some not),and others will have essays, keeping you very very busy. In fact you will spend a lot of the time in library or in the learning grid!!!! a lot! If you take Mathematics for Economists, one of the optional modules, be prepared to give up thursday nights at Evolve, as assignments are assesed and due every friday of each week! Microeconomics will most proabably pose the most problems (as it has done for most students i know), and so when the bi-weekly assessed assignements are due, you will find yourself staying up very late. Overrall id say you definitely get more work than most other subjects at warwick ( from i can tell from my friends on other courses), and in fact you dont get as much free time as most other first years, but the course is really really interesting! One advantage is that most lectures are never before 11 am (except one or two 10 oclocks), unless u take accounting and finance module, which is usually 9 am. Tuesday mornings are usually freee, whihc is very gooooood considering Top B is monday night :smile:))
If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask
Reply 11
Poltry
Economics 1st Year

Term 1:

About 12 hours of lectures plus about 5 or 6 hours of seminars a week. First two weeks of actual lectures start off really slow and easy. It almost feels like you have nothing to do. But then all the lectures speed up incredibly and the work piles on. A typical week id say, is to go to about half of the lectures and definitely all the seminary. Every lecturer puts in-depth notes on the internet, which makes it very easy to catch up on whatever you misssed. After about 3 weeks you realize that for many lectures it is really not necessary to go. On the other hand, seminars are extremeyl important and very very useful, as they really explain what was taught in the lectures, and also give help for all the weekly assignments. Most modules will have weekly, or bi-weekly assignements (some assessed, some not),and others will have essays, keeping you very very busy. In fact you will spend a lot of the time in library or in the learning grid!!!! a lot! If you take Mathematics for Economists, one of the optional modules, be prepared to give up thursday nights at Evolve, as assignments are assesed and due every friday of each week! Microeconomics will most proabably pose the most problems (as it has done for most students i know), and so when the bi-weekly assessed assignements are due, you will find yourself staying up very late. Overrall id say you definitely get more work than most other subjects at warwick ( from i can tell from my friends on other courses), and in fact you dont get as much free time as most other first years, but the course is really really interesting! One advantage is that most lectures are never before 11 am (except one or two 10 oclocks), unless u take accounting and finance module, which is usually 9 am. Tuesday mornings are usually freee, whihc is very gooooood considering Top B is monday night :smile:))
If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask

Hi, I'm applying for Econ and Warwick is one of my choices. I know the course and facilities are great but what is the social life like? To me it sounds like you don't get much free time to go out...
Reply 12
punjani
Hi, I'm applying for Econ and Warwick is one of my choices. I know the course and facilities are great but what is the social life like? To me it sounds like you don't get much free time to go out...

Hey
I didnt mean to sound discouraging. I just wanted to point out that there IS a lot of work, and definitely more than for other courses at the Uni. However, no it doesnt mean you will have no social life. Its impossible... theres so much goign on at warwick, that you will still go out and have loads of fun. Just know that there is a lot to do :smile:
Reply 13
Poltry
Hey
I didnt mean to sound discouraging. I just wanted to point out that there IS a lot of work, and definitely more than for other courses at the Uni. However, no it doesnt mean you will have no social life. Its impossible... theres so much goign on at warwick, that you will still go out and have loads of fun. Just know that there is a lot to do :smile:

Yes, but surely thats the same as doing econ at LSE / UCL? I'm the kind of person that can't sit still and will want to make the most out of uni life. I'm now thinking people are not going to be up for going out :frown:
Reply 14
punjani
Yes, but surely thats the same as doing econ at LSE / UCL? I'm the kind of person that can't sit still and will want to make the most out of uni life. I'm now thinking people are not going to be up for going out :frown:

Don't be silly, most people in their first year go out more than 4 times/week (excluding kitchen parties): that's probably more than enough for most people.
Reply 15
jeh_jeh
Single Honours Italian - First Year

My timetable is static throughout the three terms, so I can't see my routine changing very much. I don't have that many contact hours - 9/week - so I tend to spend time reading (or, most likely, sleeping).

On a Monday, I have a lecture 1-2pm, so I generally sleep in 'til 12:30pm-ish, and then have an uber rush to the Social Studies building to get there in time. Every week, I promise myself I'll wake up earlier the next week, but this inevitably never happens. Not only am I pretty lazy, but Monday tends to be essay hand-in day for the Italian modules, so I've most likely gone to bed far too late on Sunday evening. I'll come back to my room at 2pm and do the reading and prep for the matching seminar that's 4-5pm. Again, I'm not very organised here, either, so this two hour gap is a lifesaver. I'll often prat around on the internet (read: obsessively stalk people on Facebook) during this time, too, or pop to Costcutters and indulge in my usual Fresh2Go chicken salad, Diet Coke and Special K Bliss bar (yes, I'm a creature of habit). After my seminar, I'll come back to find my sciences and Maths hallmates (who supposedly have more contact hours [and therefore pressure] than me) sleeping, and our kitchen deserted.

Warwick has a bit of a reputation (or at least I got this impression before I started) for being somewhat of an antisocial university. I can refute this claim entirely with the student madness that is Top Banana! A few strategic knocks on doors and the sleeping beauties are awakened for a night of hardcore drinking. £2 entry + £1 drinks = good night out < £10. I never knew the university before the Temporary Events Structure occupied Tocil Field, and I have to say that although Top Bs have been a bit hit-and-miss there (they started off very crowded and, as a result, far too hot 'cause the air con. was crap), I'm weirdly gonna miss the floor that bounces like it's about to give way now that it's been abandoned in favour of Tempo and the Grad@Cholo in preparation for the launch of Phase1 of the Union rebuild at the beginning of Term3.

For someone with such few contact hours, I have a horrible timetable. My only 9am of the week is on, you guessed it, a Tuesday morning. Because we never got straight to bed after Top B (kitchen parties, ftw), it's inevitably a crazy hour at which my bed is reached (if at all - it's often easier not to sleep, 'cause then you don't have to worry about sleeping through the alarm) and so Tuesday combined lecture/seminar (the only two hours we get for the particular module) pass in a tired and hungover daze. I then come back to my room and die for a couple of hours (and do grammar and conversation homework. See a pattern emerging yet?!) in preparation for my double whammy of Italian language (advanced) from 1-3pm. After this, I'll often come home and work (writing up grammar notes from the points covered in class, etc) until my hallmates are back. Tuesdays are pretty quiet as far as the SU's concerned, so sometimes we go to the Student Cinema (off the Science Concourse in L3) ('High School Musical 3' has been a particular favourite this year...!), or just drink in-kitchen, being the raving alcoholics we are.

Wednesday is fairly relaxed because I only have one seminar. It's for the optional outside module that I had to take - in my case it's The Epic Tradition - and my seminar tutor is incredibly passionate, which is good. However, I often feel that all the Classics geeks know so much more than I do, so I tend to be pretty quiet. The rest of Wednesday is primarily either a sleeping day, or a hardcore essay day. Wednesday evening is Score!, which we go to sometimes. I'm not a huge fan, so sometimes we go to the Cinema, or just hang out in the kitchen. I guess socially it's slightly different for me because one of the boys in our kitchen isn't eighteen yet, so we haven't been able to do the Coventry/Leamington club scene yet. Wednesday nights often end up being quite unpredictable, and late-night walks to the Library foyer for Ben&Jerry's icecream are not unheard of. We've even taking to going to the Tesco's just off campus.

Thursday morning is translation class, for which my attendance is slightly luck-of-the-draw, depending on the night before. And then I have the lecture for Epic, which is always a bit of a waste of an hour, to be honest, but I have to go otherwise I don't get the notes and, believe me, I need them. Thursday night isn't regularly anything in particular, either, so we often go to the Kami Lounge, or the Grad, and have a drink. We inevitably either end up going back to one of the other halls, or having people over in our kitchen, so there's always something going on.

Friday is completely lecture-free day for me, so I sleep in late and then either procrastinate the day away or, if I have an essay looming (ie in for the following Monday), I get my head down and work. Often, I'll also go food shopping with a friend, and then eat together. Sometimes I'll go home for a long weekend, although this is becoming rarer. Friday evenings are spent, pretty much, in a drunken haze. Every other week is the Union's indie night in the nightclub, Tempo, and we tend to unwind nicely after a stressful week.

On a Saturday, I sleep in late and wait for the after-effects of the night before to wear off. If I need to do laundry, I do it now. Saturday night we either go out, or hang out in the kitchen, and Sunday is one long sleep catch up ready for another busy week. In the evening, I go to the Christian Union, and then tend to go and catch another film with my hallmates.

I think I've been very lucky with my kitchen, in that we've all bonded really well as a group, so even if there's nothing very appealing going on at the Union, drinking in the kitchen turns into a lot of fun, and we've been known to have some rather "epic adventures" (read: completely stupid ideas that seemed like a good idea at the time and are completely hilarious in retrospect) together.

The workload in Term1 wasn't that bad. I had a commentary to write for after reading week for Epic, an essay and then an essay set to be handed in after the Christmas holidays. I had one essay for each of my two Italian content modules in Term1, too. This term is proving to be more work intensive, yet it seems that as we're bonding more and more as a social group, we're drinking more and so work is taking more and more of a back seat. I'm not entirely sure that it's the correct correlation, but since my first year doesn't count (not above the 40% required pass grade), I'm not too stressed. As for how long I spend on an essay, I'm a bit crazy in that I work best under pressure, so it really just depends how long I give myself. I don't find that giving myself longer produces better grades for me personally, either. Yeah, see, told you I'm weird.

I've joined a few societies, too, although I rarely go to their socials - if I have any spare time I sleep!
Wow, seems busy! Is there enough time to go to the gym?
I am almost certain I want to go to Warwick (to do Law btw). When I went on the open day, I fell in love with it. I have an offer from Warwick and also from Exeter, Cardiff and Sussex. I'm waiting for Bristol.

My main question: is Warwick fun? I really want a good social/night life and I know Warwick has a reputation for being a bit antisocial... BUT the SU is supposed to be amazing and i know that it's having an £11 million makeover (or something huge like that) this year.

I have only visited Warwick and Sussex and Nottingham (didn't apply to nottingham - too far and didn't really like it). If I get an offer from Bristol, I should probably visit it but I'm quite fixed on a campus uni atm. Is there such thing a a good social/night life at a campus uni? And are the people going to be as fun? Or are all the people at Warwick boring?!! (only saying what I've heard! Not what I think - I have know idea!)

Opinions from people actually at Warwick please - people who are there (and hopefully having fun!) How often do you go out and where? What are the people there like?
Reply 18
Warwick is definately not boring although it can't really compare to any of the big city universities. It helps to make friends across different corridors/ places as then you have more options for when to go out. Leamington has a few clubs as does Coventry and I've recently discovered the Kasbah in Coventry which is really good! I've only been to Evolve in Leamington (which can tend to get a bit crowded) but there are several bars/pubs around there as well. There's also the student cinema which has films on pretty much every night of the week and only costs £2 if you're a member, and the cinema in the art centre has current films at reduced prices. The union has things on nearly every night as well. Also on thursdays a lot of societies tend to go to the pub Varsity which is about a 10/15 minute walk from central campus and has quite a good atmosphere. I'd recommend getting involved with societies quite early on as then you can pick and choose what to do in your week, but there's always something on.

The people at warwick are lovely and most that i've met are very outgoing. I'm in Jack Martin which really does seem to have a nice balance of people and everyone's very friendly. At the weekend things can tend to get a lot quieter but there are still things to do. One tip though if you're considering joining the gym is to pay each time you go instead of buying the full membership straight away, as once you've gone a certain number of times it gets updated for free. I've still yet to go! I hope that's helpful.

Jo xXx
Top B is £2 now!? I remember the uproar when it was no longer free entry; at the rate it's going up the entry fee'll e like any other friggin' union event!

*shrug* whatcha gonna do eh?

Quick Reply

Latest