The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

A Week in the Life: Warwick edition (see first post)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Anything about chemistry?:smile: Would be great to hear something about it.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 61
Nuba
Anything about chemistry?:smile: Would be great to hear something about it.

I'm a 1st year chemist :smile:
Mhmmm so this term I have about 3 lectures each for organic, inorganic and physical chem a week and each lecture is 50 mins.
then about 2 maths lectures a week. Its just A level maths stuff..
there are 2 maths tests you have to pass... you get 3 chances for each lol
On thurs and fri I have labs from 11-4pm.. but you can leave as soon as your experiment is done..
so the faster you work... the earlier you leave :wink: and you have to do a lab report for each one
I usually have 1 tutorial a week. They're an hour long and there are 5 people in my tutorial group. you get set the questions and have to hand them in 24 hours before the tutorial so your tutor can mark them..
randomly have workshops every now and again... had a computer workshop this week. theyre pretty easy.
Reply 62
Anything about a pure History degree?
Or about the possible year abroad, which sounds amazing! :smile:
Any information would be great!!
Reply 63
Anything about International Management?
Reply 64
Can anyone do a week in the life for physics if possible
can anyone do engineering please.
LAW please?!
Anyone doing management? Enjoyable course?
Reply 68
law seconded.
Reply 69
I take Law and Business...
So i guess i can tell you guys abit about the law bit haha...
1st yr you take...
Tort Law: Has to remember a bunch of cases...but i heard its more interesting than criminal n property...however 1st term..the lecturer wasnt so good...i went to the first lecture and thats it...(i heard everyone clapped @ the last lecture because they are finally done wif him hahaha)
2nd term a lady came and she was quite helpful...I personally find the course interesting..but..the lectures...it depends on the lecturer...

you might find the seminars quite helpful...i find it helpful..however once i notice that my seminar tutor doesnt take attendence..i stopped attending haha.

Assignments...you have one 2500 essay due after easter (ihavent started working on it yet -_-), well you also have 2 other assessed essay which isnt really that hard if you can spend...5-6 hours on it?

Modern English Legal System (MELS)....Basically u learn about facts facts and facts..Boring class i didnt attend any....Doesnt cover much anyways coz its only 1 term

Property: I heard its hard....you have to remember different statutes and crap...

Legal System: Philosophical stuff? It's abit similar to ...ToK if you guys took IB...Have to hand in an essay after easter (many different weird topics to choose from)

Criminal: Don't know much about it haha

but if you wanna know about life in general....I dont go to class @ all so..yeah it can be pretty chill..but i care about my assessed essays and stuff...so i do spend some time in the library to study..but dw if you dont go to class and you have an essay due...it wont take long to study&finish that essay....

and for the business part...if you are like me and you dont like to go to class...you probably will hate business integrative project (depending on what kinda person you are, i dont like to meet all the time and work on something that wastes time imo....)...otherwise first year bschool...is a joke. Dont Worry.
Reply 70
xstrim
I take Law and Business...
So i guess i can tell you guys abit about the law bit haha...
1st yr you take...
Tort Law: Has to remember a bunch of cases...but i heard its more interesting than criminal n property...however 1st term..the lecturer wasnt so good...i went to the first lecture and thats it...(i heard everyone clapped @ the last lecture because they are finally done wif him hahaha)
2nd term a lady came and she was quite helpful...I personally find the course interesting..but..the lectures...it depends on the lecturer...

you might find the seminars quite helpful...i find it helpful..however once i notice that my seminar tutor doesnt take attendence..i stopped attending haha.

Assignments...you have one 2500 essay due after easter (ihavent started working on it yet -_-), well you also have 2 other assessed essay which isnt really that hard if you can spend...5-6 hours on it?

Modern English Legal System (MELS)....Basically u learn about facts facts and facts..Boring class i didnt attend any....Doesnt cover much anyways coz its only 1 term

Property: I heard its hard....you have to remember different statutes and crap...

Legal System: Philosophical stuff? It's abit similar to ...ToK if you guys took IB...Have to hand in an essay after easter (many different weird topics to choose from)

Criminal: Don't know much about it haha

but if you wanna know about life in general....I dont go to class @ all so..yeah it can be pretty chill..but i care about my assessed essays and stuff...so i do spend some time in the library to study..but dw if you dont go to class and you have an essay due...it wont take long to study&finish that essay....

and for the business part...if you are like me and you dont like to go to class...you probably will hate business integrative project (depending on what kinda person you are, i dont like to meet all the time and work on something that wastes time imo....)...otherwise first year bschool...is a joke. Dont Worry.

How did Warwick accept you? Your control of the English language is shameful. I couldn't understand half of that post.
Reply 71
Harris
How did Warwick accept you? Your control of the English language is shameful. I couldn't understand half of that post.

To answer your question, they asked for a 4 in AP Calculus AB, and a 5 in AP Chinese. Is this clear? Or is the English quality of this answer to low for you to comprehend as well?
Reply 72
Harris

Why is it necessary to be so rude/confrontational?
Reply 73
AdHock
Why is it necessary to be so rude/confrontational?

Because it made no sense whatsoever....
Harris
Because it made no sense whatsoever....

He spent a few minutes of his free time writing something up to help others. It may be difficult to read at times but it makes perfect sense when you actually bother to read it properly.
Reply 75
secretmessages
He spent a few minutes of his free time writing something up to help others. It may be difficult to read at times but it makes perfect sense when you actually bother to read it properly.

Taking two minutes to write something is easy when 'I dont go to class @ all' :wink:

I was actually hoping for someone to give me some insight into Warwick law....
Any one got anything on History, Lit. and Cultures of the Americas? Or, alternatively, Comparative American Studies? :smile:

Thank yoooooou! :cool:
Reply 77
Hey could someone write about studying English Literature, please? Thanks :smile:
LukeeGRANT
Any one got anything on History, Lit. and Cultures of the Americas? Or, alternatively, Comparative American Studies? :smile:

Thank yoooooou! :cool:

Wow, I'm late to this party, but I'll give you my course timetable and say a bit about each item and essays. To say that it reflects 'a week in the life' would be, you know, lying.

Monday 11am-12 - literature seminar. Term 1 was North American lit in which we studied Walt Whitman's poetry, Rabbit Run by Updike and All the Pretty Horses by McCarthy. Term 2 was Latin American lit with a different tutor but at the same time and in the same group. We did One Hundred Years of Solitude and The House of the Spirits.

This seminar and the work you do it for it makes up half your grade for the Comparative Literature and Hist module (which always baffles me because there's nothing comparative about it). You do two two thousand word essays for Lat Lit and two for North Lit, with only the best of each counting - yes, that does mean you can just hand in a two thousand words of drivel if you get a good mark in the first one. The essays are extreeeeeeeeeeemely easy to do well on - you can bag yourself a first just by writing confidently and making some interesting assertions about a text.

The seminars themselves were always kind of awkward. Seminar tutors do most of the talking. The idea of them is just to nick other people's ideas for your essay - which is one reason why I never really said anything. Another is that I was invariably behind on the reading.

Monday 1pmish (I think) - Comparative lecture. These are occasional lectures (one every three weeks, maybe) comparing various themes across the Americas. So, they might compare how slavery worked in the USA to Brazil, or something like that. The purpose is to feed you ideas for your end of year Comparative project (which makes up the other half of your Comparative Hist and Lit mark). I went to one of these and it was crap, so I can't offer much of an opinion on them.

Monday 5-6 - Spanish. You learn Spanish at a level which suits your past experience. It's INCREDIBLY boring, but probs worth going to since it's the hardest bit of the degree.

Tuesday 2-3 - Latin America lecture. It's kind of embarrassing but I rarely made it up for 2pm on a Tuesday (Monday nights - drinking! YAY!), and if I did, I didn't go to this. But it probably would have made my life easier if I had. They feed you enough that you can blag the seminar on the Thursday. This won't help much with the essays, I don't think. But it may have made the exam easier if I'd had notes - still the exam was MEGA easy and you're allowed to just rewrite your short essays in it. So meh.

Wednesday 12-1 - North America lecture. Pretty much ditto, except the exam is slightly harder (the questions are more specific), so if you're gonna go to one or the other, probably this one. But they do almost always put the podcast on the Internet, so whenever the textbook let me down in revision, I'd just listen to the lecture.

Wednesday 1-3 - Spanish. DOUBLE FECKING SPANISH. This was definitely the worst two hours of my week. I wanted to die.

Thursday (every other week) 10.30-12 - Latin America seminar. This is the worst seminar of the three by a long shot. It's early in the morning. I was usually hungover. The tutor sets individuals a specific area to talk about. And they cared a lot if you didn't turn up. Do what I never did: read for this seminar - save yourself the anxiety of reading a chapter of Penguin Hist outside the room by doing some reading.

On the other hand, the essays are nice and easy again. My tutor had a policy of giving me 68s for every single one, and the exam incidentally. (There's a weird first year marking system whereby they don't give you your actual mark but an arbitrary point on the marking system closest to what you should get. It's weird and hard to explain but basically you can't get exactly a 70 or a 69 or a 71.) I'll talk more about essays below.

The seminar was again awkward. But the tutor was reaaalllly nice. Like, kinda demanding

Thursday 2-3 - North America seminar. Okay, so this one in general was a lot better. It doesn't help in any way with exams or the essays, mind, but it was just more lively. Quizzes and sweets and stuff. The other seminar groups were apparently AWESOME, though: we were the only CAS group to have our tutor, and so we kind of feel like we missed out. Essays are basically the same as Lat, except most people seemed to find they were marked slightly more harshly (not a lot, mind, but still).

Essays:

I did all mine in one night per essay. It's the best way. Try and get a group who you write your essays with and just stay up all night with them. There are so many CASers in the Learning Grid the night before every deadline - it's wicked. You can spur each other on, order lots of food and then when you're all done go hand them in on the way home. Also: if you do the same question, you can share books. This is important.

Don't worry too much about them. They don't take up much time. You basically need to read something basic about the topic, decide arbitrarily what you're going to argue, and then use quotes and facts from other books to make it seem researched. If you just write a strong intro which says "I am going to argue this. The main reasons for this are 1, 2, 3, 4", and then follow that through, you will probably get a high 2:1.

Apart from Spanish, this is a low-work degree in first year. If you want to read lots of articles and books, you can impress seminar tutors and maybe bag a few extra marks. But if you want to do other things, pursue other interests, you definitely have time.
I have three questions:
1) is there by any chance anyone who can give me an outline of a week in the course of History and Sociology?
2) how often can I expect essays in this course each term
3) (this is off topic) do I have to go to parties often in order to make friends and avoid being a social outcast?

Quick Reply

Latest